Supra Forums banner

481 - 500 of 540 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #482
Wait what? You ordered a cowling and they sent you a radiator block off? WTF?
@Piratetip absolutely. Consequently I have a lovely CF retro spec radiator blocking/ cooling plate for sale if you’re interested. I don’t think I’m interested in it and I get the feeling they aren’t in a rush for me to send it back

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #483
Hey cool! Let me know how much shipping is and I'll go for it. I found a couple on ebay but had yet to order. I'll PM you my shipping address - thanks bud.
@Le Skid send me your address in a PM. I mistakenly ordered trunk shocks 3x lol. Sending them back costs half as much as they cost me. Me and the seller have agreed to a 50% refund. I'll ship you a pair.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #484
Here’s where we are on mileage after driving the car twice this week

After about an hour of driving and parking the car this is starting to concern me

Thoughts on that? I can hear minor gurgling but no overflow. So.... Everything is fine, right!?!?

This isn’t a problem at all is it, this hose was meant to do this....

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
363 Posts
Get a new hose it's busted through the internal braided reinforcement. Only the outer layer of rubber is holding it together. Not good.
If you are getting waterfall noises through the heater core, either there is still trapped air in the system that needs to be purged or you have a leaking head gasket.
Hopefully not the latter.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #486
Get a new hose it's busted through the internal braided reinforcement. Only the outer layer of rubber is holding it together. Not good.
If you are getting waterfall noises through the heater core, either there is still trapped air in the system that needs to be purged or you have a leaking head gasket.
Hopefully not the latter.
@Piratetip buddy I think I’ll let it cool off a bit before changing this hose 😂😂😂. I think it’s same hose that came on car. Might be time to step up to silicone.

I had the cooling system flushed by what I assume to be a competent shop two weeks ago and also wheel balance and alignment finally, but idk if the burped the front end currently. I drained it and filled it earlier in this thread after I bought the car it seemed clean

Waterfall noises check in the heater core in the cabin yes, especially on cold startup. I definitely hear water whooshing inside the vehicle on startup/ movement.

So after the valve covers how much further down is to get to the head gasket lol 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
969 Posts
After about an hour of driving and parking the car this is starting to concern me
What Piratetip said:
Get a new hose it's busted through the internal braided reinforcement.
Thoughts on that? I can hear minor gurgling but no overflow. So.... Everything is fine, right!?!?
Not overheating and not pushing large amounts of coolant out the overflow I'd tend to think you need to bleed the coolant system real good. I'd replace the upper hose, bleed the coolant system real good, and pray the HG hasn't begun to protest the extra boost.

Reactions: pham

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
363 Posts
Yup. Probably just air then.
Bleed the air out after you change the hose.
Might want to check the other hoses while you are at it.
There are lots of em....

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #489
What Piratetip said:

Not overheating and not pushing large amounts of coolant out the overflow I'd tend to think you need to bleed the coolant system real good. I'd replace the upper hose, bleed the coolant system real good, and pray the HG hasn't begun to protest the extra boost.
“most epic thread ever dude totally ruins car”

Im listening @Captain and @Piratetip and @madisonMK3 I hear the warnings the car is much fun to drive though.

I was thinking it was time to go back on the jack stands anyways for these new struts and stuff

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
363 Posts
Hey, if it makes you feel any better I am replacing some coolant hoses as well.
Time to go back up on stands.

I'll probably make the new intercooler piping and mount my intercooler while I am at it.
It's not going anywhere once snow flies anyway.
Time to do some things over winter....

·
Registered
969 Posts
I'll probably make the new intercooler piping and mount my intercooler while I am at it.
It's not going anywhere once snow flies anyway.
Time to do some things over winter....
That's the spirit, winter build time.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #493
@Captain if I only wanted to add something like an air/fuel ratio meter just to monitor, could I use this? I'd still need to tap into a fuel signal. This is where Piggybacks and Standalones come into play. Might as well just go full standalone huh.

Intake air temp sensor, used with aftermarket engine management.

·
Registered
969 Posts
if I only wanted to add something like an air/fuel ratio meter just to monitor, could I use this?
Nope, that sensor is strictly for air temp and doesn't do anything for O2 monitoring. The wideband O2 sensor should be in the downpipe before any catalytic converter. If you don't have a cat, just put it towards the end of the downpipe, sensors tend to last a bit longer when they're not mounted directly behind the turbo.

I'd still need to tap into a fuel signal. This is where Piggybacks and Standalones come into play. Might as well just go full standalone huh.
Yep. In this day and age I'd avoid piggybacks and just go straight to a standalone. But I think once you got an AFR gauge and a set of 550s with the Lexus AFM and fuel pump setup and running good you'd be pretty happy with the power level that can bring. At least for a while. After that things tend to get real expensive, real fast.

is that needed for a set of BC 264 cams( engine management system or piggy back
Yes, but no.
Ideally you would have an aftermarket EMS to take advantage of the cam duration but you can get away with the 264s on a stock EMS. However my one experience with BC 264s on a stock EMS yielded only ~6hp extra and more lag, so I tend to recommend not going that route and spending the money elsewhere.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #497
Nope, that sensor is strictly for air temp and doesn't do anything for O2 monitoring. The wideband O2 sensor should be in the downpipe before any catalytic converter. If you don't have a cat, just put it towards the end of the downpipe, sensors tend to last a bit longer when they're not mounted directly behind the turbo.

Yep. In this day and age I'd avoid piggybacks and just go straight to a standalone. But I think once you got an AFR gauge and a set of 550s with the Lexus AFM and fuel pump setup and running good you'd be pretty happy with the power level that can bring. At least for a while. After that things tend to get real expensive, real fast.
Gotcha. I have the Lexus AFM body, I have the 550's. I have the Walbro 455 big boy - none of that has been installed. If I ever want to try that stuff out I need an AFR meter via wideband o2 sensor usually and then a way to modify my fuel pressure as well so I can monitor and reach a proper AFR.

If I want to go bigger than that and learn and control more about the engine, it's standalone time or try to hack a piggy back in the wiring.

·
Registered
969 Posts
If I ever want to try that stuff out I need an AFR meter via wideband o2 sensor
I personally recommend Speedhut gauges for this, the have a completely standalone wideband gauge that included the sensor controller: Speedhut O2 gauge. This way you don't have to buy the sensor and controller separate from the gauge and find somewhere to stuff it all. The gauge has an analog out that you can tie into a standalone EMS later on down the road too.
Their gauges are fully customizable and made it Utah, with a lifetime warranty on the gauge electronics. And if you ever get bored with the gauge design you can send your gauge back to them and have a new face and or needle made for it.

and then a way to modify my fuel pressure as well so I can monitor and reach a proper AFR.
Driftmotion has the AFPR kit that works perfectly for this. I'm sure you're familiar with them by now.

If I want to go bigger than that and learn and control more about the engine, it's standalone time or try to hack a piggy back in the wiring.
While many others will disagree with me here, I don't believe the juice is worth the squeeze on the piggy back EMSs in this day and age. Quality standalone units are readily available and affordable these days.

a guy in the georgia supra group are selling a brand new set. thought they would be ok to use in a stock setup. they just really make the idle sound lumpy..
Word of caution on the BCs: once upon a time their CPS drive gear on the cam wasn't oriented properly which made it impossible to get the timing set correctly. I spent a year and a half going back and forth with them on this issue back in 2006 and they consistently insisted the issue was all me. There were plenty of others with the issue though. I gave up and went with some quality cams from Japan and haven't looked back.

If you're just after a lumpy idle, save the money and invest it elsewhere. The 264s are a pretty mild cam (have to be to work with OEM ECU) and won't really give it that lumpy idle you think you want.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #499
Recirculate fitting for BOV arrived, its 1 inch 25mm everything else is 3/4 19mm. I got creative and made a recirculating pipe into the accordion. It’s ugly af and I’ve ordered what I believe might be the correct hose to clean it up.

I burped the car and got a lot of air out.

At temp, with one hand over the old fill and the other on the throttle, I revved her into boost a few times and feel no pressure change 👍

I did something similar while burping looking for pressure changes.

I haven’t changed those rad hoses but I got s sweet Mishimoto set coming. I drove it a bit, slightly spirited. I might’ve blown an intercooler hose doing power brake launches right at the end I threw a light and things went back to normal

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Ordered wiper cowl from RetroSpec 🤦‍♀️

View attachment 255532

That’s not a wiper cowl @te72 cross post more 🤦🏻‍♂️
Yep, I reckon you got the wrong part there my friend. Looks nice, but obviously not correct... so, totally on brand haha.

What do you mean by "cross post more"? I'm a bit behind the lingo at times haha.

Please, for the love of all that is holy, please please please replace that radiator hose yesterday. Figure out a time machine and go back and take care of that. ;)

Well, at least you got something
Heh... ouch. I think this concise post tells us everything we need to know, eh?

481 - 500 of 540 Posts