Supra Forums banner

141 - 160 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
prob want to make sure you have the oem fan shroud, electric booster fan is working and also put the skid pan back on (if you are lucky enough to have one). all that will help the air flow.

on a hot day that ac condenser is nuclear hot because it was designed for old school r12. it will be a good stress test if you slam a few cans of whatever ac refig they sell over the counter in there and see where it leaks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
prob want to make sure you have the oem fan shroud, electric booster fan is working and also put the skid pan back on (if you are lucky enough to have one). all that will help the air flow.

on a hot day that ac condenser is nuclear hot because it was designed for old school r12. it will be a good stress test if you slam a few cans of whatever ac refig they sell over the counter in there and see where it leaks.
The plastic splash shield/skid pan is long gone. Let’s identify this strange end link on the rear suspension instead:

It appears to be solid polyplasticsomething

·
Registered
1987 Supra Turbo R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
214 Posts
Man I just caught up on your posts. I've done almost everything in a similar way right along side of you time-wise on my 87T. Mine is even white with blue interior. Nice job on the seat covers.

I also replaced the taillight gaskets and the whole hatch trim and seal. That has put an end to the leaks for me.

I'm also keeping mine as OEM as possible, but I did put in a Mishimoto radiator and thermostat 2 days ago. Any cooling issue I had is gone now. It stays right at that "Toyota 4 o'clock" position that my old 84 Supra, Truck, and 4Runner all do/did which is great.

I also replaced all brakes, rotors/calipers, everything as I let mine sit for some time. New KYB shocks also.

I have the stock Supra radio which keeps my OEM goal going, but I did put some Fosgate stuff hidden in the doors and the back with an amp under the seat to make it enjoyable.

I also replaced all the rubber (most of it) under the hood along with the TPS and the MAS

I feel like I've completely rebuilt my car in the last 6 months. haha

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Man I just caught up on your posts. I've done almost everything in a similar way right along side of you time-wise on my 87T. Mine is even white with blue interior. Nice job on the seat covers.

I also replaced the taillight gaskets and the whole hatch trim and seal. That has put an end to the leaks for me.

I'm also keeping mine as OEM as possible, but I did put in a Mishimoto radiator and thermostat 2 days ago. Any cooling issue I had is gone now. It stays right at that "Toyota 4 o'clock" position that my old 84 Supra, Truck, and 4Runner all do/did which is great.

I also replaced all brakes, rotors/calipers, everything as I let mine sit for some time. New KYB shocks also.

I have the stock Supra radio which keeps my OEM goal going, but I did put some Fosgate stuff hidden in the doors and the back with an amp under the seat to make it enjoyable.

I also replaced all the rubber (most of it) under the hood along with the TPS and the MAS

I feel like I've completely rebuilt my car in the last 6 months. haha
Want to trade?

·
Registered
214 Posts
You just want my R154 :) Otherwise yours is better looking still.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
You just want my R154 :) Otherwise yours is better looking still.
Absolutely! I haven’t owned an automatic since the 90’s. I’ve sent my wife on some errands in this white car and she didn’t complain about how heavy the clutch is though, so I’ve got that going for me...

·
Registered
214 Posts
It's funny you mention that. I bought mine in San Antonio in 95 and moved to Los Angeles in 97. I commuted 30 miles each way to Santa Monica the first 2 years before I bought an Explorer. It was night and day difference sitting in 405 Fwy traffic.

That said, I was always happy mine was a 5 speed. Since its just a hobby car now, i can get my 3 pedal thrill when i want, and return to our automatic cars for daily drivers :D

Also, careful for what you wish for. 5 speeds are great, but if you do drive yours more daily going forward, a smooth shifting automatic might not be a bad thing.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
I hear ya, my MKIV is a W58 5 speed and my daily driver is G37 sedan 6 speed manual, I hear before the Tremec came along folks would use that trans in lieu of the V160/161

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yeah here we have a 330 covertible, a 4Runner and an X5.

On my X5 I installed the RaceChip mod and their gas pedal mod that has the knob on the dash to adjust responsiveness. (Sport, Eco, Race etc) That setup has made all the difference in the world on the X5 8 speed automatic. It shifts MUCH better and stays out of gears 7 and 8 when it really doesn't need to be there. Before I installed that, i found myself using the manual shift way too often to keep the power band accurate over slight hills.

·
Registered
784 Posts
man if you are use to the w58 that r-series trans is not going to feel good at all. x2 since its a steel sandwich (modern) w in your mk4

I want consistent launches at street drag events, sub 2.0 sixty foot times.... honestly have thought of converting my w58 na-t to an auto. especially now since they taken the toyota auto so far power wise (and have stand alones that can control it). the only downside is the custom converter....your kind of locked in or spending $$$ if you pick the wrong stall speed or want to change it. as opposed to a gm converter/billet adapt/th350 setup where converters are dime a dozen. but no overdrive....

the solstice solution is an interesting option these days imho to get into a better shifting hd metric trans

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Got around to covering back seat, first time dealing with hog rings

Yes I covered right over the existing seat cover.

I drove the car about 100 miles since tie rod ends and front rotors, no more vibration. I drove it on the interstate and she is smooth all the way to 120mph 😈

waxed:

I still haven’t figured out how to cover the headrests, there’s a bar running through the middle of the headrest and somehow it zips up. Pretty sure the front seats have to be completely disassembled and headrest

Next project, garage so messy

Holla

·
Registered
214 Posts
Looking good man! I'm envious of your garage space square footage.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Looking good man! I'm envious of your garage space square footage.
Yeah fo sho the garage is the reason we/I bought this house. There’s a third bay that’s big enough for an RV that’s in another room that you aren’t seeing. Always wanted to put a lift in there. According to satellite roof dimensions it is ~ 2000 sq ft. The garage is bigger than my first home.

141 - 160 of 194 Posts