Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well the thing is, I was following the mkiv.com write up. It says not to take the tensioner off, so i didn't take the belt off. This is my first time doing it. Every thing else is right, but now the tensioner is a little off.

· Registered
1,518 Posts
There's no need to remove the drive belt tensioner when doing a cam gear install.
It's only necessary if you're replacing the timing belt.

You may have stripped one of the tensioner bolts if you removed it with the drive belt still on. That's why it may not be lining up properly.

· Registered
1,912 Posts
I DO take the drive belt off because it takes 2 seconds and it makes things easier. Just remove the shock, take tension off, and take the belt off.

Sometimes, people think it is faster to leave things on, but if it is in the way, it only makes things worse.

Take the belt off, align the tensioner correctly, if you need new bolts, then get new ones, they are M8 1.25 if im not mistaken.

· Banned
564 Posts
Remove lower part of the shock (pull out after unscrewing the nut). Also, do NOT tighten first bolt completely, since you need to move the tensioner around for all the bolts to line up....so insert first bolt, gently tighten, then second, gently tighten, then third. Once all three are in the threads, mount it securely.

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanx guys, you helped a lot :bigthumb: Next time I won't take short cuts. Anyway, all I have left to do is blot on the shock and start her up. The only thing is i dropped a bolt and I can't find it :rant: Do you guys know what size they are?

· Registered
1,912 Posts
Ouch, hopefully its not in there! If youonly have the bottom cover on, you might be able to see it. But even in the manual, it says to becareful not to drop it haha.

BUt anyways, once you get that settled, just put the shock back onand you should be pretty much all set.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.