Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought it off ebay from an ebay dealer in NC. it's a 1990, silver, 7m non turbo with 250,000 miles. I live in huntsville, AL (north alabama) so i trailered it back(400 miles). while i was there i drove the car looked over the interior checked all the fluids and everything was fine...so i finished paying it off and loaded it up and left. when i got to where i borrowed the trailer i unloaded and prepaired to drive it home. got a new battery and a car cover and set out for huntsville (about 45 miles from where i was). about 2-3 miles from my house i notice that it's running very HOT...like guage all the way to the H. so i turned the heater on and watched the temp fall. soon after it climbed back to the H and as i pulled into the drive way i heard a pop and the temp dropped back to normal and when i parked it steam and water were EVERYWHERE. i could hear bubbling above the head and i have no water left. so now that i've bought a bad car any ideas what I've done to it to make it pop or what might have made it overheat? or if i can camplain to ebay and get my money back or what? the decription said it was a good running car. (haha...they lied) ...im pissed...

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
If you could hear bubbling that means your coolant is boiling. Right now I'm thinking:

1. Thermostat - Check first, it's cheap, easy, and is a common problem. It will cause over heating from either leaving the coolant in the engine too long or not giving it long enough to cool in the radiator.
2. Improper coolant mix - It would cause the water to boil and turn into steam which would result in an under filled radiator and big overheating problems
3. BHG - Blown Head Gasket, a big problem that is common on these engines especially with high miles due to the head gasket torque specs being so low

How much did you pay? If you don't mind

Don't know what to say about the pop. Definitely not a good sound first thing I thought of was the radiator cap? Could be a lot worse though a pop is never good lol.

Edit: These are the TSRM's ideas:

·
Dagger OCHO
790 Posts
depending on how much you paid and how good of condition the interior and body is.... i would fix it. i would be pissed, but if you got a really good deal on it then just spend a little extra money and get a new headgasket and ARP head studs. since your non-turbo i don't know what kind of head gakset would be best. but that's a lot of miles on the motor. could've been a coinkidink.....doubtful...but it could happen. it's good though you didn't drive it too long with the temp that hot. i know for a while i couldn't figure out why mine was overheating. i changed the head gasket, compression tests, flushed the radiator, replaced every heater hose... come to find out the relay for the electric fans had a bad power input.

give us some pics

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
after everything was said and paid for it was 2100. thought it was a going to be a good deal. interior is in good shape, paints ok, never been wrecked (on record) and it was going to have a good running motor. anyone ever had to do a dispute on ebay? there's a dispute console and i can fight it under "car not as described" dont know how great a shot i have but just seeing if anyone had every gone though it before

·
two wheels is all i need
1,232 Posts
Damn all these threads of people picking up their new MKIII's ... I'm jealous

another vote for BHG

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
The 'pop' was prolly either a hose(the one on the back of the head on passenger side likes to blow out), or the radiator may have popped a hose off on bottom- both have happened to me. I doubt that the engine has 250,000 unrebuilt miles on it, though.
PS- Keep the car. Even if it's a BHG- as long as you didn't warp the head from overheating, it can be a cheap repair.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ill get pictures up tomorrow if the weather is good. ill check all my hoses and flush the radiator reguardless cause im sure it needs it. i really bought for just the body cause im going to put a 1jz in sometime before july, but i would like to drive it untill i get the motor and everything ready. im in the process of moving to a house and wont have to much time or money right now but as soon as im settled in (probally the same day i get moved in) im ripping the interior and giving it a good scrub-a-dub.

·
TX2K10 Beer Pong Champion
420 Posts
The car looks nice and straight with a pretty decent interior. Under the hood though...YIKES. Get that baby cleaned up.

·
420 Posts
Forgot to add in previous post but I believe you found the location of that POP you heard. There's a water line behind the head. A real bitch to get to with head on the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sweet i love pain in the ass locations!!! thanks for the info and yeah it's over due for some serious cleaning, but it's finals week and im still moving to my house. give me two weeks and it'll be spotless

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yep i found it. it leads right in the to back of the head right on top...i think i should be able to get it replaced pretty easy. now i just have to find a new one!!! onward to Auto Zone!!!

·
420 Posts
yep i found it. it leads right in the to back of the head right on top...i think i should be able to get it replaced pretty easy. now i just have to find a new one!!! onward to Auto Zone!!!

Replace your thermostat too. It may be one of the reasons that hose popped. Thermostats are a very easy and inexpensive fix. Get the temp rating called for and nothing less. I believe it's 190 degrees. Your ECU depends on it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hey now is a good time to think about an engine swap!!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey now is a good time to think about an engine swap!!!!!
i am awaiting my 1jz motor as we speak, but until i get everything ready and finals are over and im moved into my house, i just want to be able to drive it around and get the little things takin car of

·
Registered
125 Posts
Replace your thermostat too. It may be one of the reasons that hose popped. Thermostats are a very easy and inexpensive fix. Get the temp rating called for and nothing less. I believe it's 190 degrees. Your ECU depends on it.
agreed. I make a habit of changing the thermostat, little 90deg elbow and the RHD heater plug every spring - as I have had all three go at different times and was lucky not to be stuck in a bad spot.

the 90deg elbow and block off plug are right next to each other @ the back of the head, where the head and block meet. Do it now, or do it later....

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
That's a great shell for an engine swap.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts