Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Not so fast!
457 Posts
You mean, holding the brake and gas to pre-spool? It's a simple trick that works mainly with automatics - setting a high stall speed also helps, but I have no idea how to do that and/or have no need to, since I'm rockin' a 5spd. :D

·
Registered
299 Posts
hold the brake, give her some gas, release brake.. of course u gotta time everything right and not rev up to like 6 grand.

·
Registered
625 Posts
in drag racing for launching a automatic this might/does help, but in doing for a rolling race like you see some big single mkiv guys do, I believe its because they run such high boost and such big turbos because if you try this in a stock ct car I garuntee you you gain nothing except a possibly slipping clutch.

I know some autos will break the back loose first at the line so using the e-brake on top of the brake is also the same deal

·
Project:: Reaper
1,401 Posts
ummmm if yur holding the brake down yur not gonna rev to 6K unless yur clutch sux or you blow away the tires LOL

it works in 5 speeds too

i raced a 05 GT with a Kenne Bell on it and i just went from third and he pulled pretty good. next race i did 3rd gear and brake boosted to 7 psi and popped my foot off the bake pedal and yanked out on him instantly. it'll work for 5 speeds too.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Im sorry but if you have a stock ct and are racing against a kenny bell s/c cobra aint nothing gunna help you... In my experience brake boosting has never helped perhaps I didnt do it at high enough rpm I dunno but I know other people who have said the same thing

·
Project:: Reaper
1,401 Posts
i never said cobra. i said S/C 05 GT

tose things are slow as balls. i went a best of 13.4 @ 104 and he said he had 448 to the rear wheels, and he beat me by a half of a car up to 110 from 40. those mustangs are garbage.

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
bkma71 said:
Im sorry but if you have a stock ct and are racing against a kenny bell s/c cobra aint nothing gunna help you... In my experience brake boosting has never helped perhaps I didnt do it at high enough rpm I dunno but I know other people who have said the same thing
try it you will see it makes a big difference.. You have to wait even a 1/2 second for boost you could be 5mph faster with break boosting, with a bigger turbo you will see for sure.. Race vs a NA car brake boosting vs not , you will see a big difference.. My 67mm turbo raced vs a itr civic on spray i would jump a car instantly with brake boosting, if i didn't he would have a car on me easily off the start..

·
Fatty McFatty pants
1,279 Posts
it sure does make a difference for a stock ct on my car...a IS300 won when I didn't brake boost...and then when I do brake boost...I kill the little sucker easily...so you tell me if brake boost helps or not

·
aka supra_driven
196 Posts
i do it all the time nowadays. But it will only make a difference when running ~15 psi. That way u spool half of it while on the brake and the rest will either make your tires brake traction or make u loose the guy next to you. If nobody believes this i'm going to take out the camera to prove it.

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
For a 5 sp highway pull, put it in a strong gear 3rd so the RPMS are in a good range. Then you slightly push down the brake pedal while appling more gas to keep the car steady at that speed but creating a greater load on the car which in turns spools the turbo to full boost if its not huge and when you take off its FULL BOOST NO LAG!. With auto its the same crap.

dallas_wrx_blue said:
i do it all the time nowadays. But it will only make a difference when running ~15 psi. That way u spool half of it while on the brake and the rest will either make your tires brake traction or make u loose the guy next to you. If nobody believes this i'm going to take out the camera to prove it.

better tires will keep the wheels were they need to be. Planted on the floor ;)

·
aka supra_driven
196 Posts
TaSe said:
better tires will keep the wheels were they need to be. Planted on the floor ;)

It was worse with the stock rims/tires. But now i need to get some DR's if i really wanted to eliminate wheel spin. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks guys
i mean i knew how break boost worked when your at a complete stop, but i read the kills stories and people were talking about using it while going at a rolling start, thats what i didnt get.

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,275 Posts
easy on the roll hold the break at the point where your turbo will spool floor it and adjust break pressure so you don't move forward then release when you are ready to smash the other guy.

·
Bert's Ban Club
1,637 Posts
coolerthanme said:
Oh, you can definately do it with a 5 speed, it's amazing.
when they say only an auto can brake boost they're talking about from a stop. however, a 2step ignition will allow you to brake boost a stick shift from a stop.

from a roll, anyone can do it, but u have to be in the right gear at a higher rpm for it to matter.

jackie, when u gonna be back in the states? i need that cig lighter so i can tune!!

also, layzeasnboi, if you not busy, take a trip across the bridge and meet up at petsmart serramonte parkinglot here in daly city sturday around midnight. we'll show you how to brake boost and find from is300's for you to beat up on. pm me if u down. also, we might be out friday to, but friday usually isnt as busy

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I do it with my e-brake since it's easier for me to control, no brakelights show, and it puts pressure on the only 2 wheels it has to

still didn't help me against a crazy modded SRT-4....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts