Supra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed today that my project car has two different VIN. There is a plate riveted on the firewall, the plate riveted on to the dash, and there is a plate reiveted inside the door jam. They all match. The one that is inscribed to the firewall (passenger side) is different.

I checked my other car and in the door jam I have a sticker not a metal plate, and I dont have the metal plate in the engine bay. But the one on the dash, the sticker in the door and the one inscribed in the firewall all match.

With the car that has the different VIN's I did a carfax on the VIN that is on the dash board (same as the one in the door jam and plate in the engine bay) and it came back as a clean title (no accident, one owner, etc.) and it said the car was manufactured in 1986.

Now...The car is targa, was targa available in 1986? It also has ABS, cruise control, tems, one piece wing and an LSD. I know for a fact that there has been more than one owner of the car, and that it originally was an N/A. I know the previous owner and he recently swapped in a 7MGTE...But some of the things the car has I thought were either not avaible in 1986 or only came on turbo models...I guess I will have to run a carfax report on the second VIN and see what I get. Anybody else have a freak supra like this one?

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
haha, you have a chop shop special. nice :) now all you have to do is look for shady welding on the unibody to find where one half of the car ends and the other half begins.

·
0 to gas station in 5 sec
1,012 Posts
In 1986 there was no wing available so that was an add on, but everything else was available that year.

I don't think the metal plate on the firewall has the vin on it, at least not on my '87, just the chassis codes.

I would be inclined to think the true vin of your car is the one etched into the firewall since obviously the door and the dash can be changed. Do you have vin tags on the inside top of your fenders/quarterpanels or anywhere else? Pretty much every major part of our cars were tagged with the vin from the factory.

Gotta love digging up history of old cars. My friend recently got a '90 supra that was rebuilt and accidently retitled as a celica. That threw us for a loop.

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
When he swapped in a 7mgte did he mean to say he swapped in a turbo front clip? ;)

I don't think the metal plate on the firewall has the vin on it, at least not on my '87, just the chassis codes.
:agreed:

I believe the VIN is what's enscribed into the firewall on the passenger side. The metal plate is for transmission, differential gears, etc.

If I understand what you're saying, the only thing that doesn't match is what's enscribed onto the firewall. My guess is a front clip.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the car totally stripped and there are no seams for welding on a front clip...the body underside of the car is extremly clean, not even surface rust under there. On the frame rails gasoline was dripped onto them when removing the fuel lines so it ate away the undercoating, the metal is brand new and shiny underneath it, I was surprised.

The car has been repainted, originally white, now yellow.

Upon further examining of the carfax report, the car was in a Car Auction a few years back....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts