Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yea,my resinator cracked,and I decided to be Mr. Fixit. Only problem is I broke it more. So now I have a straight pipe from the cat(testpipe) back. I'm now faced with two options.
Option 1: aftermarket catback exhaust system
or
Option 2: 3"straight back from the cat

Now I live where cops could really care less about how loud your car is,and we don't need to pass any sort of emissions test. Right now the car is kinda loud,but not that bad,about as loud as Z31 was(same thing,cept muffler rusted off). How much louder would the 3" straight back piping make the car sound? I'm also going to upgrade to a larger 3" test pipe and BIC DDP as soon as I get the money(maybe this week on the test pipe). Will I sound like a Mack Truck like I do now,or will the extra 3 feet or so of pipe quiet down the exhaust some?

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
you should ask 2damaxsupra, i think he has that setup, but with a hks super dragger

·
Stock Boost SUX
1,660 Posts
I run a BIC DDP, BIC Race Testpipe, and a custom HKS Carbon/Ti catback. The car is loud. My testpipe has a cutout built into it (hence the word "RACE") so I can run open DDP. With the cutout open, the car is really loud. Mac truck? Nah, but its certainly louder than you would want it. I imagine that the extra 3 feet of piping would quiet it down some, but youd still be essentially running open DP, since you have nothing but a pipe after it.

If I were you, Id get some 3 inch pipe and a universal 3 inch inlet muffler and make myself a custom catback. I can tell you this, you WILL get tired of running without a muffler.

·
DAMN u a big one lady
1,278 Posts
I agree with MASHED. You'll save yourself hella dough if you make yourself a custom catback. I have a blitz nur spec so I can't speak on experience, but 3in piping all the way back with a muffler would cost hundreds less on what I spent on my exhaust. But as far as loudness, nothing will ever sound louder then open downpipe, so you won't have to worry about it being louder. I recently ordered the BIC DDP also, but most likely you'll enjoy, and tolerate your supra a little easier with a simle 3in setup, plus it'll sound really mean when that wastegate opens up on the DDP..... i can hardly wait :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm kinda getting used to the sound of my exhaust though,I really just need it to be a tad bit quieter. Like I said,my Z had the same thing.

·
slowest restoration ever
626 Posts
I don't know how anyone can bear to drive without a muffler, especially if you like listening to music in your car. It's a good way to partial hearing loss, which you'll probobly care about when you're older.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I got BIC DDP and 3 inch with HKS Dragger im putting on later today (hopefully) if i dont get to lazy. Ill let you know how it sounds if your intrested.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I rolled my windows up today,and if I had a radio I doubt I would have heard anything from my exhaust. Where it ends now,its right under the seats,so if I send it all the way back and maybe do a turn down it won't be that bad. We shall see Friday. :D ( I kinda like the sound of it)

·
DAMN u a big one lady
1,278 Posts
also you're running the risk of exhaust gasses seeping through the car, since it's right under you when you're at a long stop light or caught in traffic, you def. want to get a catback on there for your own safety

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know,I don't get paid till Friday though. I'm probably going to be going the 3" straight back route and maybe throwing a muffler of some sort on there.

·
Registered
929 Posts
for those who have made their own, whats the minimum amount of piping do you need. i'm thinkin about makin my own and i figured i'd get 8 feet of straight piping (summit racing sells them at 4' each) and 2 90 degree mandrel bends. also, what radius for the bends? does it matter? any other bends i should get?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats another good question. A friend of mine gave me a site that sells SS mandrel bent piping for a damn good price.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts