Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...if you want something sporty, rather fast, and turns heads??

Trust me, I am so torn between a N/A vs TT its not funny. Money is the biggest issue :-( I am thinking the extra 5-10K for a TT is not worth it since it'd be driven mainly/only on weekends...

I checked the *searches* out on this issue...and I am still not decided. Excellent points for both TT and N/A. I hear all this talk about getting a TT, but I live in the land of no MKIV's. I'd like pay someone to come by my house so I can drive it, even if its for like 5 minutes, or ride shotgun while the owner drives it to expirence what a turbo/twin turbo is all about in these cars...I need to know what is so great about a TT MKIV ya know. There any takers? :) :)

BTW I have an 86.5 MKIII NA. Its getting a bit old, but still reliable as ever, but I have to have a MKIV soon...Thoughts anyone?

·
Pump Gas Sucks
238 Posts
seriously? what I would do, if I could do it all over again (read: sell my car) I would buy an NA, call DaveH and make a easy 11 second car for less than what it would cost you to do it to a TT (car and parts)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
blacksupra94 said:
Yea, I wish i had a TT. Hey you live in rockymount, do you know where zebulon is? Thats where I live.

Zebulon? Dude, I for sure know where that is. I work for Terminix and my route is huge...includes your town, Spring Hope, Nashville, Castalia, and of course Rocky Mount.

Heading this way anytime soon?

G

·
SIMPLY PUT...... YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE POWER TO BACK UP
THE LOOKS..........HAVE YOU HEARD THE TERM "ALL SHOW AND NO GO" BUY A TT 6 SPEED OR DONT BUY ONE AT ALL
~ JOHNNY

·
damn '02's...
649 Posts
There's alot more to a tt than a set of turbos.

There is no comparison IMHO. Buy the tt, have resale value, and be happy later. Buy what you want the first time...

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
Mihmcclure1 said:
...if you want something sporty, rather fast, and turns heads??
The MkIV N/A is rice plain and simple. Lots of show without much go.

If you want a car that looks faster than it is then the MkIV N/A is good for that.

(note: this doesn't apply to N/A owners that actually make their cars fast)

G

·
I'm about to buy my third turbocharged car. Why? Because it has a turbo!! If I have to explain why a turbocharged car is better, than you wouldn't understand. Buy a mustang.

·
Just Cruisin' Thru
663 Posts
Money is the biggest issue :-( I am thinking the extra 5-10K for a TT is not worth it since it'd be driven mainly/only on weekends...
Just my opinion (of course) but if it's just a weekend fun car go with the TT. While I haven't driven the MKIV n/a, I have driven similarly powered cars and cars that handle better than the MKIV TT, too. The advantage of the MKIV car to me (besides being drop dead gorgeous to look at) is the kick in the pants thrill of speed. Without that, it's just another pretty face.

I don't know enough about the NA-T reliability to say whether that is a more worthwhile route financially. I want my weekend fun car to be a turn the key and go car, not a turn the key then have to get out, pop the hood and stare quizzically car. When I want to roll, I want to roll. That's just me. Others like the wrenching. The TT can be made even more exciting with just a few mods. Hey, I'm still getting used to the extra go from just my exhaust system mods (although boost cut is a PITA - note to self next mod is bcc). Beware, though. Modding is addictive :p.

·
MKIV intervention needed
3,021 Posts
come on

go strong or go home. jmho

buy the best and you'll never be dissapointed.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
If money is a huge issue, then hold off, save some more, then purchase a TT. Even a higher mileage TT will bring you more driving excitement than an N/A. I would not mind owning an N/A, but it would be a daily driver/commuter car. Even then I'm sure I'd be swapping the head and adding a set of twins :)

Besides, dont you want a 6 speed? ~13" brakes? Power?

Modding is addictive .
AMEN BROTHER!!!!
Caution::::This is VERY true, and expensive.

·
Pump Gas Sucks
238 Posts
can someone explain to my why they would recommend a TT to a guy who is looking to save some $$, instead of an NA?

Get the NA, buy head studs, 3mm gasket, SP tranny, TT rear end, and an NA-T kit.

What's that cost? $10,000 maybe? I dunno I haven't added it up. But put this on a $16,000 NA and it would haul a$$.

Add in suspension and rims and you've got a great looking car for $28,000.

Just playing devil's advocate......

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
Ok. From someone who owns an NA-T. You need to ask yourself how much power do you want? An NA auto tranny will handle about ~300rwhp before it starts dying on you. The NA stick will be good for 450-500rwhp before it craps out. You'll need to buy the SP or BL tranny if you want more power.

Unless you go AEM EMS... you will probably run into some engine management issues. Basically... unless you heavily modify your NA... it probably won't be the same as a tt.

30,000tt + 2000mods = 32k 500rwhp MKIV Supra ?maybe < hp?
19,000na + 11,000mods = 30k 500rwhp MKIV Supra

Except with the NA-T you'll have a fat front mount, aem ems, bov and all the goodies as well. How much are you willing to spend on mods after you buy the car to reach that? Going tt from the beginning is definetly the easy, less trouble some way to get the hp you want. With an NA it's not as if it's not possible... look at DaveH. He's running 10.17 in the 1/4 mile. It's just a LOT of work...

G

·
Yes hes right ^^, If your willing to go through the work, you may save some money and be "unique" in the process, but its just ALOT of damn work.

G

·
And if you could do much of the work yourself, you've saved yourself some money. If not, you are paying someone else for their time and efforts. If you have a busy life (because of work and/or home life), time can be as precious or more precious than money. I personally wouldn't want the headache of the conversion.

·
Pump Gas Sucks
238 Posts
USMCSupra said:

30,000tt + 2000mods = 32k 500rwhp MKIV Supra ?maybe < hp?
19,000na + 11,000mods = 30k 500rwhp MKIV Supra
Not to nitpick, but with $2k you won't get 500 rwhp out of the stock twins. A real strong engine, with a ton more money will only give you about 460 rwhp. (http://vipimports.com/1998quicksilversupra.php). Maybe 2K will get you close to 500 CRANK HP, but not at the wheels.

Dollar for dollar, starting with an NA can you give you a lot more performance, if you're planning to take the car "all the way"

·
I'm watching you
93 Posts
OVRBST said:
If money is a huge issue, then hold off, save some more, then purchase a TT.
I don't own a Supra, but I do own the base model of a high performance car.

What OVRBST said is true (at least for me it is). If I could've done it again, I would've waited until my fucking insurance dropped, and THEN bought a V8 Firebird.

I'm not putting down my car or the NAs here, but in my case, when you own the SLOW version of a car that was BUILT to be fast, after a while you start to wish you had the FAST car.

If you buy an NA, sure you will be very happy with your car. I know I was. But after a while, I started to want more from my car.

My advice: Save some more, and buy the TT.

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
Mihmcclure1 said:
[BMoney is the biggest issue :-( I am thinking the extra 5-10K for a TT is not worth it since it'd be driven mainly/only on weekends...
[/B]
For him it, it is an issue. If you do get an NA you will CRAVE more power. Only get an NA if you're going to mod it all the way. Otherwise go get yourself the tt.

G

·
Mihmcclure1,
I have the NA and TT...
I had the 94 NA for three years before I found my 97 TT. I am now trying to sell my NA if you are interested PM me. Honestly, I wouldn't get an NA if I were to start all over again. It took a lot of time and research to find out the NA isn't easy to make fast. I even bought a tt engine from Japan before I found out how much it would cost to do the conversion. I also bought the F-max turbo kit but never put it on. It's fun when I am driving around in my ever so beautiful NA and getting a little attention. Almost like every one knows that it's non-turbo (You can tell easily from the smaller brakes and stock 16 inch wheels)
Then I go home and bust out the ugly beast (twin turbo) which you can here the whistle of the turbo's through the down pipe. I get lots more attention just from the sound of it. It is stock with scratches all over it and a dented fendor "very ugly" that's just how I bought it though. Note: I have no exhaust system after the down pipe:) I run race gas all the time, BFG drag radials,bcc,mbc and I'm boosting 21psi with around 27,000k on my car. On stock twins there are really no gains after 18 or 19 psi. I just run max boost to shorten the life on my turbo's. That way I have a legitimate excuse to go single:) I am not a rich either, I just got my priority's all mixed up :)
" GET THE TURBO" and go fast the easy way.
If you get the NA you might go fast, it will not be an easy journy though. Lots of trial and error. If Dave H started out with the TT supra. He would have already been in the 9's and knocking on the 8 second door. He is a very knowledgeable guy, some might even call him a "genius." He gave all the NA guys hope with the 10.1 1/4 run.
Take this for what it's worth. Save the money for the TT, it's the only way to go.
Or buy my NA so I can make my TT faster :) LOL
Before I had my TT nothing was worse then someone asking me if it was "Twin Turbo" I had to tuck my tail between my legs and say with a soft disappointed voice... "No, :( it's not " Now I proudly wait for people to ask :)
Take care and good luck with whatever your final decision may be.
Roberto

1 - 20 of 31 Posts