Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this is true then Tetsuya Tada and Akio Toyoda are out of touch. A strong automatic/DCT transmission on a new twin turbo Supra was always a given. After spending this much time figuring out how to make this car live up to the shadow of the MKIV as much as possible they reasoned that Supra enthusiasts and potential buyers aren't that interested in shifting their own gears. While I'm sure that there will be a strong take rate for whatever the automatic version is, this is a huge misread of the market for this car-- especially when its focus is more on "driving fun" than outright lap times.

This is one of the few cars where you actually expect there to be a manual transmission option. It even makes the low powered GT86 6-speed M/T more attractive. It makes any JZ car with a manual more attractive.

Stretching further it makes sourcing the manual pedals and master cylinder from the sister BMW Z4 (which will have manual transmission options) and finding a way to adapt a Tremec Magnum 6-speed to this car with an aftermarket ECU more attractive.

https://jalopnik.com/the-new-toyota-supra-definitely-wont-have-a-manual-1823557329

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
There is a petition to Toyota regarding this...

·
Registered
662 Posts
I don't know guys, the petition isn't garnering signatures as much or as fast as I expected, at this point. Maybe Toyota is right, there aren't that many left that know how to drive stick nor want to. They'll sell what sells.

·
Very Senior Member
9,886 Posts
...... there aren't that many left that know how to drive stick nor want to. They'll sell what sells.
This is exactly right.
Even most of those that learned to drive long ago (all manual), and drove them for years want auto now. (Me included)
The newer autos can shift better and faster than manuals in many cars now!
Did you see the video of the 2017 Camaro ZL1 auto at Nurburgring? It is very impressive for full auto (no paddle shifting involved!)

The manual 2018 1LE went faster this year, but it has some special track packages not on the 2017 "regular" ZL1.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
It completely depends on what the car is being used for. Without question traditional manuals have been surpassed on the racetrack with shifting speed alone and they're even good enough today to (usually) be more responsive to what a driver wants along with the convenience they provide.

But manuals are a lot of fun, inefficient as they are. Not everyone cares about how fast the transmission can shift, not every car is so overpowered that a manual makes no sense and not everyone seriously races a sportscar. Toyota may be right in the end regarding their projected low take rate for a manual Supra if they decide not to offer such a gearbox as an option but so many other companies making performance cars still do offer a manual and considering this car's heritage it would still be ridiculous to see an auto/DCT-only Supra. For that, we have R35 GTR's and that's not even the Supra's target competitor now.

I've lent my signature to the petition. There is still a year left for final development before it goes on sale in 2019. There's no question that the MKV will have some kind of automatic capable of handling well more than the stock output regardless. I hope the tide turns on this.

·
Boost Junkie
12,359 Posts
DCT would be fine.

Steve

·
500hp+
475 Posts
I have owned both 6 speed and auto TT Supra’s, I like both of them and since my priorities have changed for what I would like to do with the car I would rather own the Auto. Obviously this is just my random opinion. Not sure I agree with not offering a manual gear box on a sports car though, just seems wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I knew I wasn't going to buy one of these cars anyways... disappointment all around. Does toyota even still put a manual in their base model corolla???

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Well it doesn't have any horsepower or good looks, or even a Toyota drivetrain, so why not make it a complete failure by not having a manual..

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Latest very loosely translated news. It's still not a "no" from Tetsuya Tada but he's confirmed now that it has been developed with a DCT so far. If I had to guess (and this is just my own guess, not from the horse's mouth) that might mean it's similar to the Getrag 7 speed DCT that some I6-TT BMW's have been using for a while now. Still... DCT only when the sibling BMW Z4 *will* get a manual option flies in the face of Toyota's stated "must appeal to the existing fans of the old Supra first" ethos.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-toyota-supra-will-get-a-dual-clutch-transmissi-1824270916

I knew I wasn't going to buy one of these cars anyways... disappointment all around. Does toyota even still put a manual in their base model corolla???
In fact, the brand new Corolla WILL get a manual option. A brand new manual transmission design in fact. It should have more power than the outgoing model too.

https://jalopnik.com/why-the-2019-toyota-corolla-hatchback-with-a-manual-is-1824147003

http://autoweek.com/article/new-york-auto-show/2019-toyota-corolla-hatchback-hatches-new-york-auto-show

But as much as I'm pleased that the GT86 and new Corolla have manuals, there's still the Supra waiting for the one that has already been engineered for that BMW I6 engine when offered in BMWs...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
16 Participants
lukos
Supra Forums
Supra Forums is the largest online Toyota Supra MKI, MKII, MKIII, MKIV and MKV owner's club community. Discuss DIY, modifications, and upgrades.
Full Forum Listing