Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Ex MKIV Owner
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are these cars as mod friendly as Supras? I've seen a dyno vid of one with 1xxx rwhp. How reliable are they? They seem pretty rare I don't think I've ever consciously seen one in person. Anyways..

Would they be a good car to start my modding carreer on? :dunno:

I see some for sale for 5k and some for 20k they both seem to be in the same condition...what should they be selling for?

Thanks

·
Registered
970 Posts
I have a few good friends who own grand nationals and one that owns an 89 turbo trans am ( had GN motor in it)

I would say yeah, they respond rather well to mods, not as good as supras, but there mods are cheaper, and the cars are a lot cheaper. Not to mention they are somewhat rare.

My friend went 10.7 @ 125 on the stock internals, only thing done was cam and headgasket I believe. They make all there power downlow unlike a supra.

My friends have really had no real problems. but then again these cars are almost 20 years old now, so it really depends how it was taken care of and driven.

If you want some more information I would go to www.turbobuick.com www.gnttype.org and www.turbobuicks.com

Hope that helps.

Brett

Reactions: Joe89

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
they are kick ass cars, extremely torquey....but expect to pay over 10k for one in good shape (i'd lean more towards 15 even)

·
Registered
448 Posts
i have one, i'd say there reliable.

A few people have taken them in to the 9s on stock bottom ends

I've had mine for a year and the only two things to brake were one the uper raidiator hose (probably over 10 years old)

One injector got stuck open, and thats it no other problems. i've put 10k miles on it.

a supra would make more power mod for mod but GN parts are so much cheaper
you could do probably 3 mods on the GN to 1 on a supra, (mk4)

GN's are much easyer to drag race with though (IMO)

with it being a torqe monster, auto, solid axle.

ported heads with bigger valves and springs reddy to install are like 1500.00

my 50lbs injectors where 300.00 new

chip was like 50.00

turbo was 700.00 new

3k rpm stall converter was 350.00

I have a huge intercooler off a F350 turbo diesel, got it for 100.00 its like 35"x 24"
fits right on the car

mine should run low 11s for like 3k in modds not counting rims and tires.

might sell it though, I want a HT MKIV so bad i can taste it.

here are some pics

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm a complete whore for GNs. I was inches away from getting a Turbo Trans Am before we had some family "problems" that made me call it off. Like said above, they are great at drag racing, as they just squat right off the line but don't plan on autocrossing one of these. 80's American suspension (well, G bodies in general) were never known for their nimble features.

As you can probably guess they have the aerodynamics of a barn but there have been high speed only cars that get over 200 mph.

Although I have no hands on experience (yet) I can tell you from trolling TurboBuick.com to get yourself a scan tool. I love hearing anything I can about Turbo buicks so if you get yourself one, post it up!

James

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,780 Posts
I've always told people these cars are the American Supra. Stock for stock that car could not be beat by anything sold in this country when it came out. That is, until the pussies at GM decided to enforce their gay; "we can't make any car better than a 'vette" bullshit. If you are looking for one, definately get a Regal Turbo. In my area they are even cheaper than a GN.

·
Registered
22 Posts
TrueSlideXL said:
I've always told people these cars are the American Supra. Stock for stock that car could not be beat by anything sold in this country when it came out. That is, until the pussies at GM decided to enforce their gay; "we can't make any car better than a 'vette" bullshit. If you are looking for one, definately get a Regal Turbo. In my area they are even cheaper than a GN.
That's gonna be the case anywhere you go. They come with a bench seat, no intercooler, and basically they look just like any other Regal. They're true sleepers but have the same powertrain.

James

Q

·
0 Posts
yeah gns are the bomb but if you want a rare v6 car that has uber torque and gets most gns to 60 and thru the 1/8 look into a syclone or typhoon. i drive a typhoon and its a torque monster. 4.3 turbo AWD 700R4 trans. 360 torque underrated from factory and respond very well to mods. side note mines for sale if your interested. also only 3000 made in 93 and 2700 in 92

·
Old School
4,051 Posts
My old nemesis from back in the late 1980's when I had a 5.0L mustang.

I still think they are one of the best EFI drag platforms made, and are arguably the final muscle car ever produced by Detroit.

A true cult car that has a mystique about it that carries on to this day. You never know what you are getting into when you roll up on one...a 14 second stocker (rare these days) or a low 10 second monster. Can't tell by looking.

·
Registered
408 Posts
i never got my ass handed to me harder! i raced one up flecher parkway in el cajon, ca and with my 450pwhp mkiii got wasted! dont fk with those things, they are fast.

·
Registered
22 Posts
86brick said:
Buicks are slow... My Grandma drives a Buick....
If it wasn't for that screen name... :die: :fawk:

What do you have done to your brick?

James

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
2damaxsupra said:
i heard there were only 400 were made
You heard wrong.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Thanks,

I wish that was my house.

its the Meadow Brook mansion home of oakland university and the

Concours d'Elegangance, there is a small vid on that page. all cars there i think where over $200k

http://www.meadowbrookconcours.org/fyi.htm

thies car do not stop or turn but 1.6 and 1.5 60' are normal.

scan masters are sweet, also.

if any one has any other Q's i'd be happy to help.

Evan

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
Evan Pokorny said:
if any one has any other Q's i'd be happy to help.
Me too. I used to be a distributor for Applied Technologies and Research when I worked for Hahn Racecraft. My old 1989 Turbo T/A ran 11's with bolt-on's. Had the engine built by ANS Performance. My friend Tom was also sponsored by ANS and was the NMCA EFI record holder for many years back in the 1990's. I wish I had a dollar for every Turbo T/A and GN we put together over the years.

·
Be original, not a copy
861 Posts
jet864 said:
That's gonna be the case anywhere you go. They come with a bench seat, no intercooler, and basically they look just like any other Regal. They're true sleepers but have the same powertrain.

James
No, you could get the Regal Limited with the turbo drivetrain to get the bench seat. GNs, GNXs and T-Types all had bucket seats and the turbo drivetrain. The 84-85 cars were sequential fuel injected, turbo, non-intercooled motors. The 86-87 cars (GNX was only in 87 and only 541 were produced [converted by ASC]) had a slightly larger turbo, serpentine belt system, different intake manifold, intercooler, and revised associated parts. All and all there were over 52,000 turbo cars produced from 84-87 be it a GN, T-Type, GNX or Limited (the largest year for a single "version" was the 87GN with over 26,000 sold). In 89 Pontiac released the Turbo Trans Am as the Pace Car with had pretty much the same drivetrain but with 5 bolt heads (one between the cylinders) as opposed to the sotck and stage 1 4 bolt heads. Pontiac had to use these heads to clear the hoodline on the T/A.

The less expensive variants are probably 84 or 85 cars (prior to that, 78-83, they were carbeurated and a draw through system).

I had an 85 that I upgraded using Kenne Bell and Kenne Dutweiller (both local to me) parts. The car ran high 13's pretty much stock then after the "build" it had a best run of a 10.54. Large aftermarket following on these things, still. Never really had a reliability issue with the car. Ultimately got rid of it simply because the cage was too much hassle and I was running out of garage space taking on the new Supra projects.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've had two, an '87 GN and an '86 T-Type. Yes, they are very reliable and still one of the most recognizable cars on the road. You can run way into the 12's with very minor work. Bigger injectors, more boost and more fuel will get you a seriously quick street car. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
DeanMarcum said:
In 89 Pontiac released the Turbo Trans Am as the Pace Car with had pretty much the same drivetrain but with 5 bolt heads (one between the cylinders) as opposed to the sotck and stage 1 4 bolt heads. Pontiac had to use these heads to clear the hoodline on the T/A.
The heads were 3.0L units normally found on FWD GM models. Hood clearance was fine. They were used to clear the air conditioning. We installed aftermarket 3.8L heads on my friend's Turbo T/A, but his air conditioning system was removed.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts