1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considerations:
- I'd like to decrease weight if the cost/weight ratio is reasonable
- Only high-quality parts desired
- What are the pros and cons of pillowball mounts?
- Which spring rates to purchase?

I helped a friend install his HKS coilovers a couple weeks ago and they were the same weight as stock... kind of a ripoff IMO... awesome quality though.

I'd appreciate thoughts based on these considerations.

A good list of the available parts is at:
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/ShowProductsMain.asp?ModelCd=SUP4&SubCategoryCd=COIL

I'm considering Tein RE's with the pillowball mounts.

Thanks in advance.
-Chris

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Well, although I don't have experience with any other coilovers, I would recommend the Tein HA's. I'm not sure about weight, but more importantly, they handle SOOOO much better than stock. The ride is actually really smooth, only slightly worse than stock and even then I only feel it on the bumpiest roads. I didn't get the PBM's because I've been told that they greatly decrease the roughness of the ride, without helping handling all that much. They are also some of the cheapest coilovers you can buy.

(My recommendation comes from using the Tein HA's with BIGASS sway bars and front and rear strut bars)

That being said, I've heard some people claim that the HKS is a better product. However, not haivng any experience with the HKS myself, I can't say if this is true or not. They are also supposed to be lighter.

BTW, the Tein Flex is essentially a better version of the HA's, and they are a bit lighter too. but I'm not sure if the extre $500 justifies the differences between them.

Check out this site for some coilover weights:
http://www.moreboost.org/weights.htm

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link. The HKS coilovers felt the same weight as the stockers in my hands.

The HA's are a little heavier than RA's, but considerably cheaper. Hrm.

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2DIE4 said:
Buy JIC-Magics FLT-A2 best setup under $3K, are you a serious racer get ohlins.
www.jic-magic.com

my 2 cents
Looks like the same features as the Tein RE's for $100 more... any rationale why the JIC's are worth the extra money?

Thanks for the input.

·
Vitesse
673 Posts
I have HA's. I think the ride is better than stock when on the low setting. Handleing is a bit hard to tell because I can't seem to find a good all around setting. All in all they are def worth the $ and I'm happy with them. Another set I would look into are the Cusco's. Very good quality coilovers!

K

·
0 Posts
I prefeed the Tein Flex with EDFC

The tein flex are completely adjustable via dampening and height. What sold me was the edfc unit which allows you to adjust the shocks inside the vehicle to suit your driving. The edfc adjusts the front and rear shocks independently with 16-32 points of adjustment. Aslo the second generation edfc will be able to adjust the dampening automactically based on input from your car. I just installed the tein and flex and edfc, everything fits perfectly and the edfc truly works well.
Links: to install pics of tein and edfc

Tein Flex:
http://www.redlinepower.com/html/tein_flex_install_pics.html

Tein EDFC:
http://www.redlinepower.com/html/tein_edfc_install.html

Jason
www.redlinepower.com
Project Car: http://www.redlinepower.com/html/supra_project_car.html

·
Registered
259 Posts
I installed the HKS Hipermax II about a month ago in my MKIV and I'm very happy with them. A good friend has Tein HA in his MKIV and as far as stiffness and weight they seemed to be the same. They both seemed lighter than the stockers but we didn't actually weigh them to see the difference.

One thing you mentioned is "only high quality parts desired." I wouldn't go with Tein if this is a priority for you. You'll notice a considerable difference in quality between Tein and HKS (I can't speak for JIC, etc.) There is an infamous "clanking" noise that the Teins will make which I think is due to the pillow ball mounts. I get a bit of noise from my HKS but not even close to the noise the Teins will make.

Also, many Teins don't last too long. I've heard many cases of atleast one Tein coilover needing rebuilding after a year or two. When I was in Tokyo, there were countless busted Tein coilovers on the used market. That doesn't prove anything but you can take it for what it's worth.

But then again, I picked up the HKS coilovers used in Japan for less than 50% of what I would pay here. That being said, I wouldn't pay the ridiculous price that they go for here. I probably couldn't get myself to pay for Teins either, because of quality issues. Originally, I was planning on just doing a Eibach/Koni setup but the HKS turned out cheaper. :cool:

No matter what you go with, I have two suggestions. First, get the TRD swaybars, they make a noticeable difference even though they're only about 25% stiffer than stock. Second, once you get everything in, road race that bitch! :D

Ash
'93 SUPRA TT BPU

P

·
0 Posts
The above post was a little mis-leading. You can use the EDFC on any of the Tein shocks as long as they're adjustable from the top with an allen wrech(i.e. FLEX, HA, etc.).

I've had my HA's for 5-6 months and I LOVE them. I wouldn't go back to stock setup for the world. However, with the HA's as my only suspension mod at the moment, I can tell I'll need sway-bars(preferably WhiteLine) in the near future. If I decide to upgrade to a better coil-over, I'll probably be getting the FLT-A2's like mentioned above. JIC is fairly new to the game, but they're kicking ass and taking names.

Brandon

P

·
0 Posts
In addition to my above post, in the time I've owned my Tein's, I haven't heard any noise from my Tein's. NONE. I'm usuing stock rubber mounts, however.

·
Registered
259 Posts
PinkySwear said:
In addition to my above post, in the time I've owned my Tein's, I haven't heard any noise from my Tein's. NONE. I'm usuing stock rubber mounts, however.
The noise comes from the Tein pillow ball mounts. If you're using stock rubber mounts you won't get any noise. Then again, you won't get the same level of performance out of your coilovers. It's a trade off based on your preference.

Ash
'93 SUPRA TT BPU

J

·
0 Posts
I dont know if its me or not... but the teins feel like shit. Even on the softest settings. You can feel EVERY SINGLE LITTLE BuMP in the gawd damn road and i hate that. Maybe its the 19s with the teins, but still.

Do HKS or JIC coilovers ride smoother than the Teins? I saw on the blitz website that they are coming out with some coilovers that are made to be smooth as well as to perform well, probably not as well as some of the other coilovers, but to a daily driver who doesnt race that much, i would rather have comfortable coilovers.

I know everything is a trade off when modding a car, but im just not happy with my coilovers.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I have the Tien RA's with the pillowball mounts in my car. They are lighter than stock due to the aluminum construction.

I have the damping set at approx 2 clicks (softer) from the midpoint and they are kinda stiff. I beleive they are stiffer than the HA's because the spring rates are higher than the HA's. I also have TRD sways and front and rear strut bars and I have to tell you that the car handles like it's on rails.

My supra is not my daily commuter so I can live with the stiff ride. But if you plan on using your supra as a daily commuter I would not recommend the RA's.

·
0 Posts
A few things to consider:

1. Tein RE and JIC FLTA2 allow you to adjust height without affecting the spring rate / preload.

2. Some spring rates:

Tein RA 895/559
Tein Flex 783/448
Tein RE 895/559
Tein HA 783/448
HKS v3 770/440
JIC FLTA2 787/564

3. Some weights (including Complete Packed Box)

HA KIT 75 POUNDS
FLEX KIT 60 POUNDS
CS KIT 52 POUNDS
RA KIT 61 POUNDS
RE KIT 58 POUNDS

So don't buy the HA's if you're looking to save weight

4. There are three versions of the HKS coilovers, so if you are buying those, make sure you know which you're getting.

5. Look for linear vs progressive springs. I personally think linear is the way to go, although progressive springs (like eibachs) would be a slightly more comfortable ride around town.

6. For the JIC's, the shell casing, hat, misc. hardware are made in Japan, but the damper (most important part) is made in Korea (think Hyundai, Kia) everthing is assembled in Japan. I was going to get these myself until I found this out.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I guess I'll go with the hks since they weigh 12 lbs each. I would go with the hks since they have more US based shops where you can get them revalve in case you mess them up.

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just to be clear I have a track day coming up in late September. I have Eibachs with stock shocks right now and the dampening rate doesn't feel correct with the spring rates. I also don't like the ride height.

HKS coilovers are too expensive for the features from what I can see.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
quick said:
Just to be clear I have a track day coming up in late September. I have Eibachs with stock shocks right now and the dampening rate doesn't feel correct with the spring rates. I also don't like the ride height.

HKS coilovers are too expensive for the features from what I can see.
How much were you planning to spend. I'm sure you can get a great deal in any of the stores used by the supra members.

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SUPER-MKIV said:
How much were you planning to spend. I'm sure you can get a great deal in any of the stores used by the supra members.
Good question.

Probably not more than $1500 ideally and the closer to $1k the better. I'd like to find a good balance of price vs. features and quality. The better job I do in that regard the more I have to spend on other mods ... like the TRD sways.
-Chris

J

·
0 Posts
Features?

The only features youre going to be able to choose from when it comes to coilovers for these cars are: Height adjustment, spring rate, and dampening or Height Adjustment and Dampening. then with the Teins, the EFDC.

Right?

I say for your budget, go with the Tein FLEX system.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts