Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Im A Fuking Ninja!!!
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
going to repalce my FMS, crank, cams seals, serp belt, timing, water pump, and thermo stat. was thinking about doing the valve stem seal soon but am broke now so i was wonderin if anyone know how to do it and is willing to help me.

· WI-FI FTW, GTFO fuse box!
9,209 Posts
If I am going to do the Valve Stem Seals the head is coming off. 95% of those that "say" they can do it with the head still on, fail AND take out components in the valvetrain. Sometimes 1 day, sometimes 30 days later, but 95% out there have a MAJOR valvetrain issue.

All the others I can do, without any delay, piece of cake. Ralph will agree, I'm an anal MOFO on that FMS!

· damn '02's...
1,154 Posts
If I am going to do the Valve Stem Seals the head is coming off. 95% of those that "say" they can do it with the head still on, fail AND take out components in the valvetrain. Sometimes 1 day, sometimes 30 days later, but 95% out there have a MAJOR valvetrain issue.

All the others I can do, without any delay, piece of cake. Ralph will agree, I'm an anal MOFO on that FMS!
I concur. :fro:

· Im A Fuking Ninja!!!
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well im getting everything doen because my FMS is done.
Cam seals
crank seal
serp belt
timing belt
waterpump
thermostat

i will eventually tear into the heads for the valve stem and was wondering who could help me do it or do it for me, went way over budget for the car and am pretty broke now.
the stem seals are not bad but will needs to be addressed down the line.

JT, when i take off the heads do i need to replace any of the sales i am going to already? do you have all the tools?

· 97-6speed-TT
1,244 Posts
I have the Valve Tool from Toyotool. Changing the valve stem seals, with the head on, was a piece of cake. Pulling everything off to get the valve covers off was the hardest part. I'll sell you my Valve Tool if you want it. Just PM and let me know.

Dee E.

· 1995 TT 6spd
381 Posts
i can do them i just did mine and another supra here in town as well i have all tools need and have done it several times.

· Registered
1,710 Posts
To Ralph and JT, what's the big deal about doing it with the head on? I mean, how do people "fail"?

I did my VSS with the head on with no problems (except for losing a keeper) and I'm no master mechanic. Just curious.

9,209 Posts
At 20 or so mins. per seal x24 plus the time it takes for everything else to come off it's just not worth it IMO. Add that up per hour (8) and that's WITHOUT pulling the timing belt. What cams? Shimming required?How is it worth it otherwise? A $80 HG is the only downside to pulling the head.(Plus you can mic the head, it's components, full visual on the piston's heads and the block cylinder. Clean carbon and other crapola that builds up over 15+ years)
To each his own though, for sure.

· 1995 TT 6spd
381 Posts
ive done it both ways, the best way is to pull head but you need to replace head gasket if you do so. so if your on a budget leaving head on is best.

9,209 Posts
If you are on that tight of a budget maybe you should consider something from Honda....perhaps a civic?
:kekegay: Beany baby does have a Civic! :kekegay: :kekegay:

Haha.

· Registered
59 Posts
If I had to guess I would bet the reason people have valve train issues after replacing the seals is because they install valve springs upside down, or improperly tourque the cam bearing caps, or dont adjust the valves.
but that would happen if they did that with the head off too.
Idk it seems like a lot more work to remove the head, and therefore more oportunity to get something wrong Jmo.

· 1995 TT 6spd
381 Posts
If you are on that tight of a budget maybe you should consider something from Honda....perhaps a civic?

i never said anything about me being on a tight budget becasue im not jt knows, i never go cheap and usually go overkill to get the nicer stuff. he said he didnt have alot of money right so i was suggesting a way he could sve a few bucks.

· damn '02's...
1,154 Posts
i never said anything about me being on a tight budget becasue im not jt knows, i never go cheap and usually go overkill to get the nicer stuff. he said he didnt have alot of money right so i was suggesting a way he could sve a few bucks.
:)

Just ribb'n you a bit. :) If you know JT, then I'm sure you're just fine. I just dissagree with a "budget repair" on just about anything (civic's included, fyi).

Do it correctly, once.

· Im A Fuking Ninja!!!
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok to save myself from sounding like a cheap ass i am not "cheaping" out on my car, either of them. the steam seals are not bad, maybe a sec or two of smoke at start off. i thought it was the VSS but instead it was the FMS, so instead of just doing that i did everything in the front, cam seals, timing belt, serp belt, the whole 2pc waterpump, thermo, etc.. just to make sure. the seals will eventually get done but at this point it really is not a problem.

thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.