Supra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
TT This
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah so I've recently had a leak in my PS lines which sprayed fluid all over my engine bay and pretty much everywhere. I repaired that and it happened again... So I'm thinking of pulling the sonbitch out. Anyone running PS'less on the roads? how hard is it? I've had a civic with no PS and it wasn't to bad at all. But the Sup is a pig.

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
running without powersteering on a 3400 lbs car?

3400lbs > 200lbs and when those 3400 are out of control. Minus well let the steering go without PS, be just as good.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Not that I would recommend it, but it's actually not hard except for parallel parking, and it is certainly bareable. The road feel is much better.

·
Mr. Brightside
737 Posts
I'm not sure about in a Supra, but my neighbor has a 1974 Porsche 911 and that thing doesn't have power steering and its a blast to drive. Makes you feel like your driving a real car. Its not as hard the faster you go, but backing up, etc. (any driving where your going very slow) it is defintely tougher than w/ power steering. If I were you, I'd fix the power steering lines and leave the power steeringless to the vintage cars.

Side-note: I want to take out my neighbors car to a racetrack and track the thing sometime. I bet its an entirely different track w/ ps and w/o ps. I feel like I might actually favor no ps for the better feel.

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
no

see that porche has a manual steering rack, what the differnce? Mechanical advantage. You will need some type of "advatange" being mechanical, geared or hydraulically assited. Otherwise you might be fine but the heavier the car the more the wheel will NOT want to turn. Simple phyics really. And trust me you WILL lose against the 3400 lbs of metal and rubber trying to go in a straight line.

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
DO NOT CONSIDER IT! I drove my car a few times sans power steering and it was terrible. This car is way too heavy to drive without power steering. I did it on my 99 Si for a bit and didn't mind it, but on this car its bad. New ps pump is in now and I love it.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Don't even think about it. Turn off your car while driving if you want to feel what it's like. It's practically impossible to make any kind of turn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts