Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Six Figure Club
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
ive been searching for a while and i cant find a picture by picture instruction of the sogi short shift mod.
Is there one?
if there is can someone point me in the right direction.
any help would be much appriciated.
thanks in advance
-Chris

·
Registered
432 Posts
Its simple. Just take off the trim around the shifter, take off all the boots, unbolt all the bolts on top (which there should be 8 10mm bolts), take the shifter out, replace the white bushing at the ball, get a green truck bushing from the same year truck to make it stiffer, and reinstall everything. Oh yeah I forgot you need to brake loose the top black tube from the bottom to complete it. It will be tuff to get out but it will break apart. Took me like 20min to do it all. Hardest part is getting the two tubes apart. Real easy mod. Good luck.

·
Six Figure Club
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so all i have to break is the black part from the lower metal? that was the part that i was confused about. and i will need a new shift knob?
-Chris

·
Six Figure Club
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mullen that shift booot looks really good if i had a welder i would do that but i dont so im stuck with breaking it
-Chris

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
yea i took the shifter out and used a butane torch and just melted the shit out of the rubber. then it just twisted apart wish ease. if u have a oxy/acy torch its even quicker work.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
it took me like 30min kinda hard to get that rubber to break but once you get it, it's a huge relief. What i did is got a vice clamp. clamped it to the big black shaft really tight then used my foot to push. twisted around then pushed...twisted it several times around and it finally broke loose....End result...one thing that no one says anything about it is...it rattles and chatters alot if u don't weld the threads back on or something....using a 3-set screw knob is not a good idea...makes so much noise and is very annoying..so i just Made my own totally custom Shortened stock shifter with the black part shortened 3in etc....doesn't rattle and is really short....
This is not my Custom shifter....that's after just ripping the top black part off. This pic was before i knew what it was like driving with it..... Oh and i never pulled it from the tranny...lol

·
Registered
243 Posts
youd probably get an even better feeling shift if you switch to the poly bushings for the shifter. I believe theyre cheaper too look here http://www.marlincrawler.com/trans.html. I know its a truck site but it should fit the tranny and its loads better over stock. The owner of that company has a plethora of knowlegde on yota trannies, so im sure that they can help you out.

·
512RWHP... 503RWTQ... 7M
3,292 Posts
Here's mine... I love it...

BTW: Brent, what is that coming out of yur change holder? Are those guages? Closer pic?

·
512RWHP... 503RWTQ... 7M
3,292 Posts
Yeah, it's a heavy knob, but feels good in your hand...

*:lol:*

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
Reign_Maker said:
Yeah, it's a heavy knob, but feels good in your hand...

*:lol:*

not in texas..that thing gets in touch with the sun and id be shifting with my finger nails.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
ok, step by step and illustrated.

step 1: remove shifter. attach vicegrips on black part and silver part

step 2: heat shifter up. a torch works well for this, but if you don't have one (i don't) then you can fill a bottle cap full of lighter fluid and ignite it and it will also work.

step 3: twist to loosen, have a friend help you with this, and then once it breaks loose, pull like hell.

step 4: install new white-plastic thing (on shifter) and black-rubber thing (on tranny) and reinstall and you're done. wrapping the new top in duct-tape will help your stock knob fit back on.

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
wh0wants2know said:
ok, step by step and illustrated.

step 1: remove shifter. attach vicegrips on black part and silver part

step 2: heat shifter up. a torch works well for this, but if you don't have one (i don't) then you can fill a bottle cap full of lighter fluid and ignite it and it will also work.

step 3: twist to loosen, have a friend help you with this, and then once it breaks loose, pull like hell.

step 4: install new white-plastic thing (on shifter) and black-rubber thing (on tranny) and reinstall and you're done. wrapping the new top in duct-tape will help your stock knob fit back on.

No offense but ur shift knob looks like shit on a stick. Good job bad shift knob. Change it! heh

1 - 20 of 30 Posts