Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Toyota Supra RZ
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am reluctantly creating a post seeking advice and help. I've searched and read my butt off... Trust me please!

1995 JDM TT/6. Swapped to S2 headlights. Decided to do the front blinker delete mod that can be searched for on here. For those unfamiliar, the blinker feeds are wired into the fog light - which is supposedly an easy and done deal - and the fog bulb is replaced with a yellow bulb. Everyone who claims to have done this mod say its as simple as that and everything worked properly.

What I personally did:

• Cut and removed the "parking lamp" that used to go into my 95 headlights. The long stick with the baby bulb on it.
  • Cut blinker wires from bumper mounted blinker pods.
  • Cut 2 of 3 fog lamp wires, the two side-by-side that connect into the plug. Bottom wire left alone, still connected.
  • Connected blinker + and - to fog light + and -
  • Put in yellow Hella 55w H3 bulb.
  • Tested blinkers, all 4 work, no hyperflash. Great success.... ish.

Problem:

If I rotate the headlight switch to turn on lights (like its night time) the tail lights illuminate for a split second, then the 10a tail fuse blows and the tail lights no longer illuminate. ALL blinkers, hazards, brake, and reverse lights function properly.

If I'm reading the TSRM wiring diagram correctly, the tail lights are on the same circuit as the fog lights. So, I tried both options of connecting the fog light wires and leaving them separate. Still blows the fuse. (Invest in 10a fuse stock now, gents). All 5 of my brains IQ's are telling me there's a lack of resistance and/or too much load across that circuit now - hence the millisecond of illumination and rapid fuse pop. I know the circuit is complete because the tails illuminate for that split second. But, where am I wrong in resistance/load?

Should I have just tapped the fog + with the blinker + and left the - side intact? Is that 3rd fog light wire that I left alone causing problems? Is the parking light circuit causing an issue? Do I need to trick the circuit with a resistor across the original fog light wires that matches a bulbs resistance? Am I a plain ol' an idiot and should rewire everything back together?

Thanks in advance. I'm feeling pretty dang stumped.. For now I just cant drive at night haha.

Pics to hopefully help illustrate what I did.

- Blinker wires / connector

- Fog lamp connector ( I cut the top two / side-by-side wires )

- Fog Light wires / connector ( I cut orange/green and white/black )

- Top two wires unstripped are original fog wires.
- Middle two unstripped wires are the fog feeds that I tapped into with the two long wires below them ( blinker wires )

- Wired together, shrink wrapped.
- Far left, S1 headlight parking lamp wires (twisted together)
- Bottom rightish are the original fog wires unattached, but I also tried with them connected.

- Blinkers working fine, no hyperflash, pretty darn bright btw.

- Best angle I have showing orange blinker pods deleted.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Maybe I'm not following what you're saying, but it seems like here:

View attachment 250552
- Far left, S1 headlight parking lamp wires (twisted together)
You are saying you took the parking lamp wires, and twisted them together, creating a short where these used to be a bulb....is that actually correct? Because if so, that seems wrong at first glance, and likely would blow a fuse somewhere when power was sent to it.

I'm not sure if that is on the same circuit as the tail lamp fuse you are referring to (I can dig out my TSRM later if needed), but that would be a good thing to check as well.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,556 Posts
The small parking lights-on-a-stick that you cut and removed come on at the same time your taillights do...with the headlight stalk switch turned one notch to parking-light mode. So I think Snail is onto something...you shorted out your front parking light wires somehow. Whatever wires were connected to the lights-on-a-stick, should just be sealed off and not connected to anything.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,556 Posts
Far left, S1 headlight parking lamp wires (twisted together)
Snail is exactly right. I just reread what you did, and twisting those two wires together (green and white/black) shorted out the TAIL fuse circuit as soon as the headlight control switch is rotated to the parking-light position. Those wires should be sealed off and not connected to anything.

·
Registered
1995 Toyota Supra RZ
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Snail and bitshftr, thank you for replying! You're exactly right, I did reconnect the parking light circuit and then shrink wrapped over them. First thing in the morning I'll undo that and see if it solves my issue! Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1995 Toyota Supra RZ
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SOLVED!!

Huge thanks for Snail and bitshftr for leading me in the direction of the parking light wires. I made the mistake of reconnecting the wires back together after I cut out the parking light bulb/holder. For some strange reason I only did it on the right side. But, its fixed! I'll do a write up one day with very good pictures and descriptions so someone doesnt make my mistakes.

Huge thanks again for the help. If we ever meet the beers are on me!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts