Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to the track soon and I have 50% of my OEM Supra Turbo brake pads left. with about 12-14 track events I have only worn about 25% of the pad. These are also the original brake pads that came with a car that has 51,000 miles on it. I'm just wondering if this is going to be enough for another 2 days of the track? Also to those of you that open track do you replace all 4 rotors after each event? Seems like that could get quite expensive, especially if one pad doesn't last through the weekend! I've heard from a reliable source that the Toyota rotors are not good to turn and prone to unexplained "wobble" or weird braking harmonics.

- Randy

· Custom User Title
2,660 Posts
From the 1995 TSRM: http://www.geocities.com/g099521/MKIV/95tsrm.rar (BR-21, BR-25, BR-30, BR-34)

The front NA rotor is 32mm stock, and can be turned to 30mm before needing replacement. The front TT rotor is 30mm stock and can be turned to 28mm. The rear rotors (TT and NA) are 16mm stock, and can be turned to 15mm. Max runout is the same for all rotors: 0.05mm And I can't recall ever putting MKIV rotors on a lathe, but I've done it with plenty of other Toyota rotors and never had a problem (as long as the rotors were still within spec).

As for your other question -- it's never a bad idea to have a set of pads & rotors on hand at the track (so you can salvage the day/weekend if you unexpectedly burn through pads or crack a rotor). But no one can really tell you how long your pads/rotors will last -- each driver and track will be different.

edit: It's also a good idea to carry some spare wheel studs (and of course a well-supplied tool box) in addition to fluids etc.

· OG
1,187 Posts
IME, stock rotors are very resistant to warping; I have never warped a set, but I tend to be pretty easy on brakes.

If you are tracking the car seriously, people here report good luck wiuth Carbotech XP10 and XP12 rotors.

Me being lazy and easy on brakes, use Hawk XP+ and just live with them.

I would suggest to have a set of pads handy, just so that worn pads won't spoil your day. I keep my last set of pads in my toobox, just in case..

· Registered
2,363 Posts
I used the stock pads for a weekend and they were managable, but not great. I could get them to fade very easily. My braking zone was about twice what it was with track pads. It's incredible that you've had the same stock pads for 12 track days!

I've used Carbotech XP10s for the past few events and they feel great, couldn't get them to fade at all. They were getting very hot though and didn't last long. I burned through to the rivets after three track days on the last set. Two of those days were on a seriously hard braking track, though. Before I go back, I'm going to have to come up with some decent ducting which should extend pad life.

· Heavy Metal Momentum
1,004 Posts
Wow, that's impressive. I guess the mk4 brakes were well designed for heat management, not just brake power.

I can't imagine the stock mk3 brake pads on track, not enough heat sink to hold up like that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.