Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i just got a 98TT 6spd DJG/tan mkiv last nite as a graduation present and have some problems with it. some of the things i think i can fix by myself but here are the ones i dont know where to start:

left turn indicator does not turn off after wheel is centered from a turn.
car dies between shifts sometimes (after foot is removed from gas)
key hole for rear hatch does not turn (key will go in but not turn)
check transmission light is on and traction off blinks all the time even when i push snow, and the snow light does not come on (broken button?)

there are other small problems but i think they are just fuses. anyways, just wondering if you guys could guide me as to where i should start to fix these things. TIA

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it has a hardpipe with a blow-off valve and intake. but fuel cut is not my problem. my problem occurs when i am driving normal and just changing gears, cruizing, when i take my foot off the gas to shift, sometime the rpms will go right to zero and the car stalls. also if i am in neutral and i rev it up the rpms will drop to like 100 and then slowly bounce back up and down until it hits a normal idle. could this be something wrong with the IAC? i checked for any kind of boost leaks and i dont see anything wrong under the hood.

·
SF's Cleanest
7,179 Posts
hmm. I dunno - just be patient, i'm sure someone else does :D

post pics of the car while you wait :D it sounds sweet

·
Banned
977 Posts
SupraDupaFlyBoy said:
car dies between shifts sometimes (after foor is removed from gas.
key hole for rear hatch does not turn (key will go in but not turn)
check transmission light is on and traction off blinks all the time even when i push snow, and the snow light does not come on (broken button?)

there are other small problems but i think they are just fuses. anyways, just wondering if you guys could guide me as to where i should start to fix these things. TIA
1) As far as the car dying.. check to see if your running rich or lean etc.. I had the problem and it was my coil pack connections were brittle and would cause it to stall.. Also check your igniter

2) Key hole doesn’t turn. Take it to a locksmith.. They will probably have to either install a new tumbler.. or maybe reset the one you have. (More than likely a new one)

3) If your getting the red exclamation and the check engine light then its prob fuel cut. Pull the codes then Try resetting the ECU by pulling the fuse. Drive the car easy for a while and see if they come back.. The Traction control flashing could be the speed sensor/trac control (Codes will give you a head start)
BTW on a OBDII Car you will need to have the codes pulled and read for you.

Nice graduation present if this is for real.. if not.. eh I am bored at work anyway.
Wouldnt mind to see some Pix.

Reactions: Xenon Supra

·
Still Sportin' the Twins
245 Posts
Is your BOV vented to the atmosphere? If it's not routed back to the intake (and assuming you still have the stock MAF), you can experience the exact stalling symptoms you describe.

Key in trunk: Check your key. Does it look like the teeth are worn down? My 94 has this problem, too. The key seems to wear down with the ignition switch and since I rarely use it to open the trunk, the key wears faster than the trunk lock (and door since I have keyless entry) and doesn't work anymore. My spare valet key which is not worn down works fine, however. A few years back, I had a key remade using the valet key as a template and it was very notchy in the ignition until it wore down, too. It worked in the trunk also until it wore far enough. I imagine the "real" solution involves new keys and a new or fixed ignition switch.

David

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
more details on the car. yes, it is real, i got it last night after mothers day dinner, i will get some pics up later tonight when i get home. the car has only 18,000 miles on it and they key doesnt look to have been worn too much. yes, the BOV is vented to the atmosphere, i cant tell what type of blow-off valve it is but it doesnt look like a top of the line one, hard-pipe is from greddy. it also has i am guessing to be an RPS carbon/carbon clutch with fidanza lightweight flywheel because it rattles at idle unless the clutch is depressed and the clutch is VERY sticky. the previous owner didnt know shit about the car and my dad made it sound as if the guy was a real deusche bag anyway! car seems to be running strong though, i can chirp the nitto nt-555r's pretty good going into second! anyways, thanks for the help, i will check that other stuff out tonight.

·
SF's Cleanest
7,179 Posts
18,000 miles and its a 98 tt 6-speed.

i'd say thats one kickass graduation present. :D

hopefully you can fix all the little kinks :)

·
Banned
977 Posts
Xenon Supra said:
18,000 miles and its a 98 tt 6-speed.

i'd say thats one kickass graduation present. :D

hopefully you can fix all the little kinks :)

Yeah what he said.... :bigthumb:

Let us know.. and we'll help you with what we can.

·
Registered
598 Posts
The BOV is probably causing the stalling in neutral, just acquire a stock bov and vent it to the intake to run simultaneously with your aftermarket one, but stalling when your changing gears could be a separate problem not sure about that one.... I had stalling issues with the BOV but mine was an auto.

Is your TRAC fuse pulled? that might be causing your TRAC light to blink and the ! light to come on.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pics....

not that i have to prove anything but here are some quick pics of the car.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh, i forgot to ask... how much do you guys think this car should go for MAX? it is missing almost every bolt that holds down the interior pieces and one interior piece is cracked, other than that it seems to be in perfect condition. it was apparent today to me that the car has been repainted as there is overspray in the door sills and rough edges in some areas. so what do you guys think as far as how much this car should have gone for without telling you what was payed for it?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Couldn't tell ya....
Why don't you check the Kelly Blue Book :lol: :lol: :lol:
:barf:KBB

·
Registered
615 Posts
The thing that concerns me most about that car is the 18k on the odometer. Does it have a clear title? Did you run a carfax on it? Your car seems to have a lot of issues for only 18k miles. Other than that, nice car, even if it does have a few problems. From the looks of your garage, and the contents of it, you can afford to fix up the few flaws.

·
2005 LP640
930 Posts
Seems like an ungodly amount of problems for a 98 with 18,000 miles..........its quite easy to keep a supra low mileage......you sure the odo wasn't unplugged at that mileage years ago?

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
motor looks very clean and interior as well, i think the original owner just screwed it up, but i dont think its really anything that cant be fixed. also, my dad said he ran a carfax on it and title is clear and i guess miles match up. 2nd owner said he only drove it 1000 miles to resell for profit.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so what is the fix? my buddy has an atmospheric BOV and his car doesnt do this?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Do a compression test on all cylinders. If it's indeed a 18k mile car, the numbers should show it (unless the previous owner unplugged the odo and swapped out the engine).

1 - 20 of 142 Posts