Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
BoostAddict4Life
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well i was just doing some thinking and i just wanted to share some thoughts

ok the obd2 vs obd1 problem on na's

does obd1 have the lean spot claimed by many tt owners? bettween 4k and 5600 rpms. if so what good would switching to obd1 have for an obd2 car such as mine. also my obd2 computer went super rich at 4k instead of lean. how superiour is the obd1 computer. the one thing i guess i can see is that the open loop closed loop fuel control, even then the obd1 still has this.

with the vpc and afc2 combo the car runs alright, but i have no control over timing. im contemplating switching to a emanage and using its ability to control timeing to help tune the car even better. with the vpc and emanage setup it seems like i would have better fuel control and timing control. the problem i see is that if the obd2 computer does not accept the emanage then i would basically be in the same spot as before. also with the distributer we can only change the timing so much. the theory behind the distributer on our cars is that when the ingiter touches the prong inside the distributer id does so for a period of time, w/e that may be, and the ecu then tells the spark plug when to fire during that time frame. this setup is relitivtly very simple compaired to the coil pack design, but does not allow much control.

my question is would this be a replacement for an AEM EMS, i cant justify the cost of an AEM with tuning and the loss of driveability to get more power. it would allow us to alter timing, still have no maf, and have larger injector fuel control.

dave want to ring in on this?

·
NA-T member
455 Posts
gamimnon said:
also with the distributer we can only change the timing so much. the theory behind the distributer on our cars is that when the ingiter touches the prong inside the distributer id does so for a period of time, w/e that may be, and the ecu then tells the spark plug when to fire during that time frame. this setup is relitivtly very simple compaired to the coil pack design, but does not allow much control.
Their is no computer control from the distributor to the plugs to control timing. Advancing timing via the distributor involves advancing the actual rotator arm.

·
BoostAddict4Life
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that is only the base timing. there is also a peice of the wiring harness which goes into the distributer, that is how the ecu can change timing.

·
NA-T member
455 Posts
gamimnon said:
that is only the base timing. there is also a peice of the wiring harness which goes into the distributer, that is how the ecu can change timing.
Ok that makes sense.

Does the computer adjust the entire distributor timing or does it run a 6HZ cycle and adjust for each cylinder? Sorry for the questions.

·
BoostAddict4Life
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
for each cylinder while the igniter is touching the prong basically. thats why we can alter base timing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts