Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My most serious Supra issue is the belt trim. I know, I know, I'm lucky to have such a unimportant issue facing me, but that's how it is.

This is a 1987 Turbo, white with black trim. I would love to fix this problem, have nice smooth flat white trim, but I'm not sure how to get there. Some of the trim is orginal and the inside metal is all rotted out. Some other pieces are crappy aftermarket and they look like hell.

If you can stand it, here's a pic. What courses of action are there?..

·
0 to gas station in 5 sec
1,012 Posts
Take all that trim off ASAP. The metal-backed trim loves to spread the rust to the sides of the car as it is doing in that pic. Sand and repaint the rusted areas on the side of the car as needed. Pick up some 89+ trim (no metal in them, so they won't rust and flex). Sand it lightly and paint it(I used SEM color coat on mine) came out great and saved me a ton of money. Anything that bonds to plastic with a flex agent in it should work though. You also might be able to get some off an 89+ white package car and get away without painting it. Then pop it on there and you're all set.

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
yeah, try get it off an 89+ with the body color trim, perferably white in your occasion. i hate putting on the plastic trim that has that is double sided taped on, PITA to get off and on.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been looking for replacement trim for a long time. Some questions:

this is an '87. What years will fit?

If '89 would be a good target, how do you find some. I've been to meets, garage sales, ebay, supraforums etc for years, and I've never seen a set. ??

What would new Toyota trim run me?

·
1,012 Posts
Any trim from any year will fit any other year. There are two extra clips on the rear corners on the plastic trim on cars made from 89 and up, that's the only difference from a mounting point of view.

A new set of trim from toyota costs a fortune, i seem to remember a set is like $600. I got mine from someone who totalled their car and parted it out. Thats your best bet, watch the parts for sale section, people sell trim sets all the time.

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts

·
1,012 Posts
Yes, the newer center piece fits on older cars, you have to drill 2 small holes for additional mouting tabs or break off the 2 extra tabs. However, you would need to do the full 89 and up light conversion, i'm pretty sure the old style lights won't clear the new center piece.

As far as the turbo symbol goes, it's just glued onto the trim, it comes right off with a knife or something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts