Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't really know how severe of a problem this is, but yesterday I was going to wash and wax my car and decided to spray off the engine bay. I didn't bother to cover any components such as the distributor, etc, because I thought I would not get very meticulous. I kept the car running the entire time and for about 5 minutes afterward without any problems. However, once I finished washing and waxing the car, I noticed it was idling very rough after start up and vibrating the whole car. Now, the engine light is on and it seems like it doesn't have as much power when accelerating like it might not be breathing right. I have tried adding fuel injector cleaner thinking that my injectors might be clogged, but no luck on correcting the problem. Any help would much be appreciated.

·
pirates like cookies
702 Posts
you sprayed cold water on a hot, running enginebay... eeerrrrr...

but anyway, distributor problems maybe... water in the intake... i really don't have a clue... i just know hot metal + cold water really doesn't go well

·
2014 E63 S
2,517 Posts
Drive it on the expressway for about 30 minutes straight to make sure all the water is evaporated. It should eventually go away. Like he said, you probably have water in the intake causing all that vibration.

·
Registered
166 Posts
you may also have jarred off a vacuum line. check all those as well, this will also cause the car to idle wrong/roughly.

·
Built Auto
1,167 Posts
check to see if you got any water down in the plug valley. shoot some compressed air down in there to help dry it out.

·
Wingless Hardtop Moderator
3,090 Posts
LOL this happend to me like a month ago, scared the living f' out of me.. had no clue what was wrong.. just change all the plugs and q tip the valleys, then reset the ECU, it'll rumble for a couple minutes then you'll be fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your advice. I did like SupraLB said and drove it on the freeway. Problem stopped after about 10 minutes. Water apparently had to just evaporate. Don't know what the f**k I was thinking! Learned my lesson.

·
blur2ed.com
829 Posts
hey dude, where in marrietta are you? We need to meet up.
-Kapil

·
blur2ed.com
829 Posts
Let me get my car back from Batlground first...then we should meet up.
I live in Smyrna, but my girlfriend's mom lives off Bells Ferry, close to hwy 92 so i know where you at. How long have you had your car?
anything done to it? Who did you buy it from? local?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've had my car since mid-April. I bought it from a guy that lives out in So. California. I took the risk and bought it off the internet and had it shipped here. I wrecked my last car and needed something to drive, so I couldn't pass up the deal (was previously saving for a Supra TT). Anyway, I don't currently have any mods performed on the car. I'm in the process of adding a sound system and rims and other cosmetic stuff. I am wanting to save for a turbo kit or buy a complete 2JZ-GTE sometime within the next two years.

G

·
The same thing is happening to my car at the moment - rough idling and vibration of the car especially from the exhaust muffler. I degreased and hosed my engine (cold) a week ago with cold water and i experienced no problems afterwards.
But all of a sudden today the car has started acting up with these symptoms.
This is weird because if it was because i sprayed the engine with water then wouldn't these problems occur right away.
All plugs and wires seem to be in good order.
The car vibrates and feels week during driving at the moment and the problem goes away sometimes and comes back again.
Do you think it will go away after driving for a while?
What should i do if it doesn't? Should i try resetting the ECU?

Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts