Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 98 6sp BPU++. When I am WOT and then shift I see a puff of smoke ONLY AFTER I STEP ON THE GAS AGAIN! The smoke will not come out if I just let off the gas or if I shift and do not hit the gas! It only comes out when I am at WOT and shift and then the second I touch the gas again I see the puff! What gives? My car smokes at startup but goes away when I drive away but I also thought that Mobile 1 synthetic smoked a little at startup as well?

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
Damn, smoking on a 98, how many miles?

It is most likely your valve stem seals, an itty bitty amount of oil will drip into your exhaust either when sitting or when you hit the gas and then it burns. Its relatively common on Supras. Other less likely scenarios are blown turbo seals or rings, but these would likely blow smoke under boost, or upon letting off the throttle.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
25k miles, but let me tell ya something! A reputable(I hate them) shop in Gaithersburg, MD installed my boost controller wrong and I was making max boost for three weeks even when I never turned the controller on!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
However I also am getting oil in my bov and I have an oil catch tied to my crank case vent!

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
Maybe you just blew out your turbos then. If you've got oil coming out of your BOV, then that is a good sign that your turbo may be bad. But the valve stem seals are still a good possibility too.

Are you in Los Angeles or Louisianna?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually moved to MD, I need to change the LA.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Do you have an additional BOV on the car. It could just be the MAF measuring the extra air that gets blown out of the valve and adding the fuel to match the air.

It won't do it if you just cut the throttle because when you cut the throttle above a certain RPM, the car doesn't inject fuel.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CR133R,
Are you saying that it may not be my turbos?????:eek:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just did a compression check and everything was good! So at least I know its not my engine, now how can I get oil in my BOV besides a turbo seal if I have a oil-catch at my crank case vent?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts