Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I have a 90 Supra. For some reason it kept dying on me when ever i'd run it, but not immeditaly. It would run for bout an hour to two hours then start sputtering and die when i slowed down. After about an hour of trying to start it, it would finally start and i would race home so i wasn't stranded again. Now it won't start at all. I've changed so many parts on this car but it still doesn't seem to matter. I've changed oil, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, fuel filter and pump, oil, oil filter, air cleaner, and even injectors. I just can't seem to figure the damn thing out. Has anyone ever had this problem? PLEASE HELP!!
Kamui

·
Registered
942 Posts
turbo or non turbo-stock or no? either one, i would say check your battery terminals,sounds like loose grounds.

·
Search
3,303 Posts
by not starting.... not cranking?

possiably the alternator.... run for 2 hours off the battery, then no more battery power it'd die... maybe *shrug*

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could have been overheating? Make sure your temperature gauge works. Probably not a bad idea to replace the thermostat...

-Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The battery isn't dying cuz it's still turning over like a champ. And the temp gauge has stayed on cool the whole time.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It stays on cool? It never warms up? If so you must not have a thermostat in it or your temperature gauge is either broken or not hooked up. Are you sure you didnt forget to hook it back up after you installed the plug wires and other parts? If you dont mind me asking why did you get all those parts you listed so far? A couple of times i have seen a screwed up afm keep the car from starting for hours then miraculously it starts and you can get home. Then it wont start again. Something I would check thats real easy is, look at the air induction tube between the afm and the thottle body. Now make sure there is no cracks on it, I find them on the underside next to the thottle body. Now make sure all the clamps are tight. If you have a leak between the intake and the afm it will act crazy as hell. Oh one more thing I forgot to ask was it doing the starting issue before the plugs wires cap and rotor? If not , Im not trying to insult you, are you sure you put the plug wires in the right positions? If it wasnt doing it before you did your installs, check your work first before you spend even more money.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a couple new things to add. Previous to all this happening the car would not hit the power band in high rev's. I've double checked all my work and after replaceing the coil today i found out that the coil is not giving power to the distributor. My boy said that his friend had the same problem with his bmw. He replaced everything like i did and in the end it ended up being a crank sensor. Do Supra's have crank sensors, and would that make the power to the coil stop? Thanks you everyone for your info. Every lil bit helps.
Kamui

·
Registered
87 Posts
Turbo supras have a cam positioning sensor but not your N/A. You are NA right? Check all the small stuff first like fuses and the contacts. See if you have power going to your coil and igniter if it wont fire. You can just pull the wire off of alot of coils and spin the motor over, you'll see it arching if it is firing. If it isnt firing get a multimeter or a test light see if you have power to the coil and igniter... they can go bad. Did you pull the distributor in? Check anything you can think of thats easy first. Not spending the extra money is the key!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts