Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright ladies and gents, yesterday I was at work minding my own bussiness during my break messing around the net and whatnot until I ran into something that caught my attention and I figured that I might bring this up to the attention of you all. Yesterday I ran into a site that is called japan-parter ltd. Looking into this I saw that they export cars from japan to over here to the U.S. Now when i was looking into the site, I checked out there inventory and saw that they got a couple of really nice looking, real deal, JZA70's in there lineup up for grabs. I took a look at one of them and found it very georgeous and not just that, its in the rare dark green that we don't see around here. Hell i almost thought it was black but taking a closer look at the screen and saw that it was that green that i have mentioned. Now the thing is that now i am being very tempted to buy it and have it imported here but the thing is I want to hear you guys opinion on this since seriously I have no idea of what to think of this web site especially of how they are selling the cars so cheap including with the freight charge. If any of you have gotten a car here before or know this web site, please give me some feed-back on this before I get the idea on getting it, now the temptation of having the only real deal twin turbo R here in Florida is getting to me and I need to know beforeI do this. Thanks for your time guys.

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
If they are importing them, they aren't doing it legally as far as I know. I believe Jarco imported 2 FULL 2.5 R's ( I have pictures of one ), and one got cut in half being caught by customs....

So if you wanna take the risk of paying for a car that might be cut in half , go for it! I'd ask them alot of questions at least.

Oh, here is the picture of the one that made it and was fs on ebay:

Come to think of it, it was like 3 years ago it was FS lol. There was a small clip of it too. Thing was mint!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
damn, the R is georgeous, you got a point on that, I should ask questions before I get the idea. Now this is the thing, I got no emissions law here in florida. does that reduce the chances of the car getting chopped up? Like I said, I got the money to get the car in its entirety but I want to be sure about it before I go any further. Where do I have to go to find out where I can get the car registered and also get the car to pass through customs? please let me know.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i just found out through the florida DOT website and it states that if the car performs as good right hand drive as it would left hand drive, it can be brought in. Also, if I can convert the car left hand drive, then that makes it easier on me. Now what is good is that I don't need to worry about going through the emmissions standards because Florida doesn't have it which is less weight on my shoulders. Also, the company that will sell me the car will send me through the mail, the bill of lading, the customs invoice, the japanese de-registration certificate and the translation to the cirtificate. Now the only thing I got to do now is get the registration number to the company and look up if they are a legit company. if they are, I might be looking at waisting between $2,400-3,000 to have a twin turbo mk3 ( and that is including the cost of getting the car out of the port). Damn, if this goes good, I am gonna be a very happy man.

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
u will never get it bassed the BAR because the 1j was never offered in the united states. This has been covered a million times, sorry to burst ur bubble man, but i dont see how ur gonna get this thing street legal.

~scott

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
damn, you got a point, but on the other hand, this is in florida not california. But lets see, I still got alot of research to do to see what has to get done. There has to be a way to get this through, if anything, I might as well consider it a race car and that would make it easier on me. lets see.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh and thats another thing, there has to be a way to get the car street legal becuase look at the rb26 and sr20det, if motorrex and all these other companies can get these cars here in the u.s. and make them street legal, then I don't think there would be a major problem getting the "r" in here too. Maybe I am getting over my head but, I seriously think there is a way to get this car in here without going through hell. I got to look into it since the florida dot dtill has allot of info I got to look at before I move on.

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
Importing a car is legal here in Canada as long as its 15 years old or older, There have been a lot of Silvia's, Skylines and a few JZA70's coming over here lately. I actually see more Skylines around here then I do mk4 supras!!!. It might be a loop hole to import it to Canada, register it then import it to USA. Garagefujimoto here has imported a few cars here, maybe he can explain how it works a little more.

·
Local Tire Destroyer
1,008 Posts
Thanks Randy.

I can sell you an "R" in Canada that is fully street legal

To drive in the states...

a) take it apart and re-assemble as a kitcar/hot-rod
b) sneak it past em somehow

But that's up to you, I don't and never will live in the USA

I'll just enjoy cruising my Dark Green 2.5 R here in hot sunny Canada

·
Acting my age
3,968 Posts
There is no way.. no, nadda, nothing, NO way to register a non USDM Supra in the united states. There is nothing illegal about importing one, as long as it never is used on a public road. You will never be able to legally register, insure, or drive the car.

I have owned a Japanese imported JZA70.. I tried and tried.. all the way to the kit car idea, special purpose registration, classic car clubs, nothing.. the problem is there is no VIN number and DMV's do not assign VIN numbers to anything except trailers and cars imported from R.I.'s that meet the requirements set in stone.

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
I plan on getting a few more cars and should be no problem bringing them over the border.

You know there is a way Fugi ;)

Matt..The car will have a Vin number when registered in Canada

Duane

·
Acting my age
3,968 Posts
See these websites for more info...

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/VIG_Canada07032.html

Here is a list of cars you CAN legally import into the US..

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/ELIG010906.html

See the problem is that even if you get a Canadian VIN number, you still need the letter from the OEM stating the car meets US standards.. and that only applies to cars that are on this list.. unfortunately, the Supra is not.

Also, the NHSTA is about 1/4 of the battle.. you still have to deal with the EPA guidelines which are even more strict than these!

Trust me man, I've been through this and have more hours into researching this than you might think.

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
becauseican said:
Importing a car is legal here in Canada as long as its 15 years old or older, There have been a lot of Silvia's, Skylines and a few JZA70's coming over here lately. I actually see more Skylines around here then I do mk4 supras!!!. It might be a loop hole to import it to Canada, register it then import it to USA. Garagefujimoto here has imported a few cars here, maybe he can explain how it works a little more.

ding ding ding!!

You win the prize!

Last car my buddy imported from Canada, a RHD turbo mr2.. costed 5k to get here, legal, titled, and registered.

·
Acting my age
3,968 Posts
Again.. look at the list.. the Mr2 is an importable vehicle. I know you guys dont believe me, so I'll just say good luck with your enevour..

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yep the R33 is on the list because it is the only one that Motorex ever legalized. However there arent any RI's certified to do it anymore. Its also the only skyline that meets the safety contrasints etc imposed by the NHTSA.

I did a TON of resaearch when i was looking into buying a R32 but didnt want to get gouged and screwed by motorex, and long story short, dont bother trying to make the 1JZ or any 1JZ powered car legal, and good luck getting a GTR over here that wasnt grandfathered after motorex closed.

·
1jz-gte motivation
805 Posts
There is enough god damn mercedes on that list to choke a camel....

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
anorexicpoodle said:
Yep the R33 is on the list because it is the only one that Motorex ever legalized. However there arent any RI's certified to do it anymore. Its also the only skyline that meets the safety contrasints etc imposed by the NHTSA.

I did a TON of resaearch when i was looking into buying a R32 but didnt want to get gouged and screwed by motorex, and long story short, dont bother trying to make the 1JZ or any 1JZ powered car legal, and good luck getting a GTR over here that wasnt grandfathered after motorex closed.

Oh well... I'll stick to my 1JZ powered MA70. I pass inspection every year without a problem. :bigthumb:

- Chris

1 - 20 of 27 Posts