Supra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, theres a good chance my timing is off because with the timing light i can never seem to get it exact. anyways, i recently installed an electric water pump and electric fans, after about 50 miles i figured it was time to see if there was a noticable difference, when the car hit 4,800 rpm, the acceleration drastically improved, i mean it was very noticable. and i don't think it was from those 2 minor mods. it hasn't done that before. i didn't touch the timing belt or anything when i installed those 2 things, but i think it could be the timing, any ideas why it started it now or what? or is that normal for those mods?

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
what do you mean you cant get it exact?

Are you jumpin the pins when doing the timing? You should be able to get it set to 10degrees + or - 2 degrees. It will bounce around a little, but atleast it's generally close to 10 your ok.

What's your timing now? Chances are the more acceleration ur getting is because your timing is advanced more than it should.

Normally the fans alone would free up a little hp, but not much that you should notice as a big differance. I don't know about the electric water pump

·
Banned
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WhiteBlazze said:
what do you mean you cant get it exact?

Are you jumpin the pins when doing the timing? You should be able to get it set to 10degrees + or - 2 degrees. It will bounce around a little, but atleast it's generally close to 10 your ok.

What's your timing now? Chances are the more acceleration ur getting is because your timing is advanced more than it should.

Normally the fans alone would free up a little hp, but not much that you should notice as a big differance. I don't know about the electric water pump
it always looks like its right but when its hooked up to a computer it always shows its at least 4 degrees off from when i do it. last time when i had the timing electronically done the car ran a lot better. but this is a newer supra and im not quite sure if its running how it should. seems a bit more sluggish than my old one.

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
The 93 -97 NA’s have a 2 stage intake manifold. They will feel sleepy bellow 3800 RPMS. If you punch it at 2,000 RPM’s, you should feel a sudden kick around 3800-4800 RPMS (that’s when the vacuum switch opens up the 2nd butterfly in the intake manifold). If you gradually ease in to the acceleration from 2,000 RPMS to 4,800 RPMS, the kick isn’t as noticeable.

As for the 98 NA’s with VVTI, I can only assume that the variable timing has a smoother and linear acceleration, therefore, you don’t feel such a sudden kick compared to the earlier year models. I never driving a 98 NA, so maybe the 98 NA drivers might want to comment how it feels to go WOT.

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
With the jumper in, the timing should be right at 10 degrees. Once you take the jumper off the timing will jump all over.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts