Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have nearly 3000 watts in my stereo, I understand that there will bw some rattles but they are driving me crazy. I have about 12 cans of Dynamat Dynashield and about 25 sq. ft. og original Dynamat in my car. Now, after about 3 monts it sounds as though I do not have any sound dampeing material. Can anyone help me out? I am looking at buying more Dynamat, but does anyone have anything else? Thank you so much for any help.

N

·
0 Posts
1.) Turn the bass down.

2.) Get louder mids and tweets to cover up the rattles.

3.) All of the above.

·
Registered
56 Posts
hi
i have just finished a project,i own a stereo store,i have a 3/4
ton ford van with 15 kicker comp-vr's 2 cascade power supplies
and over 6k watts,anyway i had the same problem,(very bad)
we didnt use any dynamat at all,i used triple expanding foam spray,of course theres someplaces you cant use this stuff,its nasty so be careful
hope this helped

randy

·
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Randy,

I am heading to Lowe's this weekend to look into expanding foam. Thanks for the advice.

·
2 RiCh 4 Ur bLooD...SuPrA
601 Posts
NeedsBoost said:
1.) Turn the bass down.

2.) Get louder mids and tweets to cover up the rattles.

3.) All of the above.
what kind of help is that? anywayz...expanding foam is good alternative but i wouldn't recommend it b/c one mistake can mean death. and why the hell does everyone recommend or use "dynamat" in here. i don't! there are tons of alternatives that work just as well and like 1/4 the price. for example...raammat/b-quiet/mastic. all of these will save you tons of cash and work exactly the same. if you don't wanna believe me then that's cool. i recommend raammat or b-quiet extreme or hi-temp mastic to solve your needs. all 3 companies offer like 100ft^2 for less then $150. and that money will probably get you like 20ft^2 for dynamat. look for raam on ebay or www.b-quiet.com or www.mcmaster.com
hope this helps...payce.

E

·
0 Posts
ThumperAC said:
I am heading to Lowe's this weekend to look into expanding foam. Thanks for the advice.
Before you destroy the car with the foam, try and locate the source of the vibrating and or rattling.

Foam works good, but it is by far the worst product to use in a car environment, specifically one that is driven a lot. Works great for SPL vehicles though, b/c the vehicle is been designed to make noise, and looks don't really matter much in a spl ride.

The foam can also destroy the car very easily, I would be very very careful using the stuff.

BTW, dynamat, applied imporperly will not cure the rattles. Fist you must locate the rattles, one by one. Cure them one by one also. Dynamat does not work too well on large sufaces that vibrate because, all it really does is add weight and a slight amount of strength. So the surface area will be proportional to the amount of dynamat need.

Large areas that rattle will require different methods of of bracing/dampening to prevent them from rattling. This is why it is important to isolate each and every rattle.
Good luck.

E

·
0 Posts
GaNg[sTa],

by your sig I see you like to compete, what did you hit with the 2 15w3??

It better be 155+, or you'd be loosing to a couple of 12's.
Ha ha, just pulling your leg....

·
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gagngsta,

Bet my system could give yours a run for its $$$$$

2- 15" Kicker Solo Baric L7s (about 5.0 sq. ft. sealed box)
2- Rockford Fosgate Punch Power BD1000a1s
RF HPC 6x9s
RF Fanatic Q 6.5" component set
RF Punch Power 400a4 for the highs and mids
Panasonic HU (not sure of the number something in the 800s)

I have never had it measured, anyone have an idea what I should hit in a 95 Accord coupe?

E

·
0 Posts
A little advice.....

ThumperAC said:

RF HPC 6x9s

I have never had it measured, anyone have an idea what I should hit in a 95 Accord coupe?
Nice system, Thumper. you sould hit good #'s;)

You do have a little prob though... I would reroute the power wire, b/c your fuse lies beyond the Neg on the battery, if the line wre to become cut or freyed, you car could go up in smoke.
I have seen it before....

·
601 Posts
ThumperAC said:
Gagngsta,

Bet my system could give yours a run for its $$$$$

RF HPC 6x9s

not really...what power and ground awg are you feeding your bd1000's? also what type of wood or whatever is your box made out of? you have a nice system but i think i'll edge you out. i have a ported and you have a sealed. so basically i have three 15w3's and you have two 15L7's. run for its money...eh? let's see how much i paid for everything (all are brand new except dei)...(2) 15w3's = $375...panasonic 401u = $ 155...dei 1100d = $275...(4) pioneer 6x8's = $142...profile cl440 = $135...lightning audio bolt cap = $42...LA wiring = $55...enclosure = $30 (built personally)...sound deadening = $150. so that equals around...$1359. i would say i saved quite a bit.

·
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a 140amp alternator, Optima Red Top battery. My power wire is Stinger 0 gauge to a distribution block with feeds the amp with 4 gaguge wire. It is just the opposite for the ground...4ga to a dist block to 0ga ground. My box is made of 1" MDF. How many sq. ft. do you think I'll need if I go ported? Thanks

·
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually, I am getting ready to downsize my stereo...I am actually looking at getting 2 JL 12w3s, how do you like your 15w3s? About how much power do you think I can give to each 12w3? How much volume will I need for a ported 12w3 box? Thanks for any help.

E

·
0 Posts
ThumperAC said:
Thanks man,

I'll have to fix that when I go home for break from college. Thanks again.
Yeah no prob, always willing to help out fellow enthusiests:)

Gangsta, what #'s did you hit??

·
601 Posts
i'm gonna get metered for the 1st time b4 this year ends. also...i hate jl but only love the 15w3's. why are you downgrading your system...yours is great. to go ported for a pair of 12w3's...i'd recommend 1.75ft^3 per sub after displacement. the tuning is up to you...lower tuning for better sq and great lower end extension. higher tuning for better spl and tighter bass. my box is tuned to 32hz...i like the *boom*. i'll keep you guys updated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts