Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Car is being held ransom.
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

I removed my entire sound system today and I wouldnt have done it if Justin didnt help me. I removed the passenger seat today and thought that I might remove the sound deadening and insulation. What I wanted to know is does removing the sound deadening really make a big difference in noise? Can I remove the insulation also?

·
Ludicrous speed! GO!
959 Posts
The only reason people remove those things are weight reduction.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I wouldn't do it. Lighten up something else. You can get the supra to be 3,000 lbs without taking out the sound deadening material.

-cf hood
-aluminum driveshaft
-wheels
-swaybars
-seats
-lexan windows
-fiber glass fenders
-convert to non-flip up lights or remove the motors and keep it up

·
SC61 Powered 90T
847 Posts
reduces weight by almost 50lbs and free? Its a pain in the ass but if you have the time and patiance you should do it. Use either a heat gun or dry ice and a scraper and have fun

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
or an air chisel

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Don't forget that also helps keep warm air in the car in the colder months...

·
Registered
264 Posts
I did the same. It took maybe an hour. Get a large slot screwdriver (chisel is likely easier) and a hammer, then go to town. :bigthumb: lol but don't do what my buddy did in his 180 and bash right through until you see pavement... :rolleyes:

·
aka supra_driven
196 Posts
I took mine out in a whole day. That included some of the material by the firewall, under passenger and driver seats, rear seats, and trunk. I weighed it and it was about 55lbs. Making a 3000lb supra is going to take more than just the things that where listed. Heck my car weighed 3420lbs. And I've done quite a few weight reductions.

See here for more info.

·
Supranian
2,007 Posts
Sound deadening does just that = deadens sound. I don't care for the road noise in my car, I would just leave it in.

·
The Radiator Man
1,363 Posts
Kyle87T said:
Hey there,

I removed my entire sound system today and I wouldnt have done it if Justin didnt help me. I removed the passenger seat today and thought that I might remove the sound deadening and insulation. What I wanted to know is does removing the sound deadening really make a big difference in noise? Can I remove the insulation also?
Mine is out in my trunk, and it depends on how loud your exhaust is. Mine is pretty loud, and I can barely talk on the phone, even with the windows up.

·
Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
1,596 Posts
I'm about to remove the spare tire and relocate the battery into the hatch to keep traction. This should save you the same weight as a gutting the insulation, I guess? The battery box and cabling is a few lbs though..I want the best compromise between comfort and performance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts