Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Always Furious. Now Fast.
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just talked to Larry at SP about fabricating some equal length headers for the N/A supra. I think if we get a few of us interested, and we can find someone in the Chicago area to bring their car down so he can do the measurements - we could have him make a few sets pretty reasonably...

He will be checking this post, so speak up if you are interested. I don't have any specifics, and neither will SP until they spec it out, but just a ballpark figure to guage interest:

Probably a 15-20hp gain, significant change in exhaust note, and ceramic coated around $1000 maybe less...

Does anyone have a N/A in the Chicago area that could let Lar look at your car for a little bit?

-Scott

·
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Larry -

I could send you the stock headers and precat setup off of my N/A. Would that be enough to pattern the new headers off of?

Scott

·
ส็็็็็็&
919 Posts
well id love to help out but ill be honest with ya here, im flat broke :rolleyes:

on a side note Larry i got that fuel pump in yesterday and was able to put it in as well. Thanks for all the help and saving me some cash on that fuel pump :)

-Rich

·
wanna be elitist prick
106 Posts
TRDSupraSE said:
$1000...I think its a bit too much.
even though i have no say in this becasue i don't have a supra, that is a LOT of money for headers. and ceramic ones at that. would these headers be street legal?

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
MAKE THE HEADERS

i'd be interested in buying the headers if it is produced... but i live in california so i couldn't lend my car... i doubt it being street legal... hopefully it'll be a lot less than $1,000... i also kinda hope that it doesn't change the exhaust note too much and that the car doesn't end up obnoxiously loud.

Go For It :)

K

·
0 Posts
F-Max used to make headers for the NA supra(2jz-ge) for around that price. Give them a call, I don't think its on their website anymore.

Frankenstein said:
Hi All,

I just talked to Larry at SP about fabricating some equal length headers for the N/A supra. I think if we get a few of us interested, and we can find someone in the Chicago area to bring their car down so he can do the measurements - we could have him make a few sets pretty reasonably...

He will be checking this post, so speak up if you are interested. I don't have any specifics, and neither will SP until they spec it out, but just a ballpark figure to guage interest:

Probably a 15-20hp gain, significant change in exhaust note, and ceramic coated around $1000 maybe less...

Does anyone have a N/A in the Chicago area that could let Lar look at your car for a little bit?

-Scott

·
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I am not made completely of money so I hope they are as cheap as possible - but we need to remember that these aren't mass produced civic headers so they aren't going to be dirt cheap. For the most part this is a one off deal...

I will check with F-max, but if the prices are similar I would much rather have a SP product.

As for emissions, I am not sure about cali and denver where things are real strict - but I would think it wouldn't be a problem as they will have the probe pickups and the only change is the elimination of that pre-cat (which I assume is just a resonator).

·
wanna be elitist prick
106 Posts
how much louder are we talking? anyone with aftermarket headers have experience? Would it make the tone deeper or more high pitched?

·
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Of course yours is stainless - I have a feeling it may be $1k for ceramic coated steel. Larry said the materials for stainless are $700 alone...

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,249 Posts
what exactly are headers

hey...im new to this whole thing...can someone tell me what headers are and how changing them helps power. thanx

·
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tuned headers will create more horsepower by timing the sonic pulse to reflect back to the exhaust port at the right time. The short little runners on the side of the exhaust and the precat (the barrell shaped thing they connect to) would be replaced with tuned headers.

It is the same reason you get aftermarket pipes on a motorcycle or jet-ski (although the results are more significant on a 2 stroke that doesn't have valves).

Hopefully Larry makes his way over to this post soon and weighs in with the details.

·
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You can probably paint the ceramic, but you are going to want the ceramic coating on the plain steel. It deadens noise and more importantly dissapates heat.

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
i was actually saving to get exhaust (almost have enough) but if headers are going to be produced by sp, i just might hold out... question is, what are the chances that sp will actually make this with only a handful of us that want it made and are "willing" to pay the thousand dollars (hopefully much less)... i really want them to be made, don't get me wrong, but from a realistic perspective, will it actually be done *crossing my fingers*

also, if it is going to be made, how much time are we talking before it's actually ready and available to us considering all the testing and everything involved with the development of them?

is anyone able to lend their car to sp?

did someone get any info about the fmax headers?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts