Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought their DXD street clutch, sat in my room for a few month before the car finally went to Straightline auto in NJ for a new clutch. I read many good reviews but was very surprised when [email protected] told me the clutch is defective. He has a good amount of Supra experience as well as installing clutches (including Southbend) but he told me the clutch will not fully disengage. After following Southbend's recommended possible fixes, Don reported to me the clutch is defective. Right now I'm sitting here without my Supra and kinda upset because I had such high regards for Southbend. Don is trying to get in touch with the [email protected] who handles these cases. I'll update how they will help me out and if they will compensate me in some way for my waste of time and labor charge I already paid (and will pay more).

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh Don also put in a NEW stock flywheel which I bought off supraforums. Don confirmed it was brand new.

I hope they can compensate me in some way. If anyone can give their 2 cents, maybe it will ease my anxiety.

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
Are you using a different PP plate? I used the PP supplied by South Bend when I purchased the OFE kit, so far no problems after 1,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Hey, Jay. I haven't seen or installed any southbend clutch kits personally. However, if Don from straightline had prior experience with southbend, he couldn't tell if something was wrong with the clutch before putting it on?

Honestly, if the clutch turns out to be defective I doubt southbend will reimburse you for the labor work. They'll probably just send you a new clutch disk and probably nothing more. I hope they do something more than that though. Jay, let me know if you need any more help.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im just venting like a madman.... yeah expecting the worst, they'll just send a new clutch to the shop at best, sigh... friggin 500-600 bucks wasted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just installed my SouthBend OFE Stage 3 clutch w/PP along with a new stock FW myself.... yay for jackstands. Anyway, no probs with the install and almost 1,000 miles and zero problems. Pulls like a mother... nice to not have a slipping clutch!

Could it be the clutch pedal adjustment? I'm a n00b so I'm just guessing. Hope you get it fixed!!

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
driving me nuts.... yeah the mechanic said its definetly not the pedal adjustment. he did confirm the clutch came w/ the PP....

·
Registered
484 Posts
Call Southbend, talk to Peter... He is the nicest guy in the business. I've bought two different clutches from him, (DODGE CUMMINS STUFF)because the first one wouldn't hold the power (NOT HIS FAULT) I did more mods, and he took the price of the single disk off the price of the dual disk. He is a standup guy, basically I had ruined one of his $900 single disks and he took that off the $2300 price tag of the dual disc and I got the clutch I needed. Been workin great for 10k miles at 1800lb/ft!

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
updated: [email protected] and i both spoke to Southbend. they will not send me a new clutch but wants to inspect the clutch. he claims he will be able to see if the clutch is defective/damaged in shipping and will overnight me a new one.

ofcourse i would rather him just ship me the new one and go from there as my car has been in the shop too long but he doesnt want to do it since it would cost me more in labor charges if the new clutch does not fix the issue. he also claims if the clutch IS bad, he can put in a claim with UPS to reimburse fully or partially the labor charge.

i cant say im impressed with Southbend's customer service but right now i cant hate them yet, we'll see the situation turns next. BUT i am VERY impressed with Straightline auto, Don has bend over backwards to make sure my car is fixed. my car is currently clutchless sitting on his lift and taking up room; he's willing to do that for me to get this resolved the Southbend's way. i heard some good things about Straightline in the past, and i think every bit of it was true. Don is patient, willing to explain everything to me in detail, willing to deal with Southbend DIRECTLY with me and even work with me in pricing knowing my bad situation. standup guy.

·
OG
1,059 Posts
I had issues with my SB clutch - it started slipping the first time I took it to the road course. Their explanation was that the Tundra has the same pattern, and that they had sent me the wrong one. After that, they sent me a new one, resurfaced my flywheel and PP. Since then, I have had no problems.

I put the clutch in myself, so did not have to pay for the labor, but this guy Don is doing good for you. It would be so much easier to say "you bought the clutch and I get paid by the hour, it is your problem."

Definitely standup guy.

Cheers and best of Luck
Rich B.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Jeeez! Southbend is THE best in the Dodge Cummins world... I guess everybody has their one specialty. I've had nothing but the best of luck. Sorry to hear about all of this.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh yeah Don WAS upset my supra would be sitting on his lift clutchless but in the end he just said "ok jae ur in a bend so its all good".

he also did my exhaust install with one of the bolts totally stripped at the downpipe. burnt it off, restudded and installed the full turboback in under an hour AND checked for leakage too (last month).

also one time i was having a hard time installing my hks bov with the c-clips. he just said to stop by one day, and just did it for me right there. he's awesome.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
actually i've went back and forth with straightline auto and southbend. the initial thinking is because one or more of the lifters is slightly damaged. he said its hard to tell with the naked eye, would have to go on the clutch tester. a more serious issue is your car may have is crank walk.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
final update (detailed).....

1. Straightline was fairly certain it was the clutch; he said went over things many times and couldnt find any issue. southbend unwilling to send a new clutch until they inspect the clutch in my car. we finally concede, they send UPS to pick it up next morning. waiting begins.
2. Four days later, Soutbend finally receive it. Test shows it was indeed their clutch that was defective. They only offer partial compensation for the labor fee thats wasted for having to do the clutch install twice. Unfortunately he was unwilling to ship a new clutch overnight for free; only 2 day air. I finally offered to pay the difference to get it back ASAP.

Final conclusion? Today I am driving it granny style to break it in, for the next 300-400 miles. The clutch seems to work well, close to stock. So far I am happy with the clutch. The tech from Southbend first defended his product, saying how every clutch is tested before being sold but obviously this one wasnt because the tech was able to test my defective clutch promptly. I cannot say I'm completely disastisfied with Southbend, they DID offer to atleast give me partial compenstation. I believe next time I purchase the clutch directly from a vendor, I will request for it to be tested first (even if they charge me alil extra). In the end, Straightline bend over backwards for me. Charged me only half to do the clutch a second time to help me out, let my supra to take up his lift for days. he also fixed a broken wheel stud for free for my troubles.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Glad to hear that it's all finally put to rest. And it sounds like after a small amount of runaround Southbend ended up taking better care of you that alot of vendors would. There are only a handful that would even offer partial compensation, unfortunately. Hopefully it will live a long life and you will be satisfied.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
I just drove a BPU car with a southbend Feramic/Kevlar 6-puck disk and it's just awesome. It's so damn smooth it's not even funny.

I can highly recommend this disk for anyone not looking to make tons of power.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts