Supra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am tore btwen doing sotck fuel 61 and aem or upgrade fuel and 67 i want a broad power band and what is best for the engine i dont care to get into 10's would be nice but i am looking for low 11's on around 18-20 puonds i reall want the 61 one but i dont want to get it and move up later.

TIA
Anthony
 

·
Never enough
Joined
·
1,418 Posts
Either one could run low 11s easily with a good driver so might as well get the faster spooling turbo and spare yourself the fuel system;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
849 Posts
I have a 61 with a cast manifold on stock fuel and I did 11.1 in Vegas at the supra event on 20psi. The power band it great for the street and the strip. Its all about Lag. The bigger you go the more lag you get.
 
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
blackbird said:
I have a 61 with a cast manifold on stock fuel and I did 11.1 in Vegas at the supra event on 20psi. The power band it great for the street and the strip. Its all about Lag. The bigger you go the more lag you get.
Are you stock weight?
What would be the largest u'd go w/ a 6 speed and the TRD Diff? (3.27 gear)
- Matt
 

·
Blue 03 cobra I wish :)
Joined
·
251 Posts
blackbird said:
I have a 61 with a cast manifold on stock fuel and I did 11.1 in Vegas at the supra event on 20psi. The power band it great for the street and the strip. Its all about Lag. The bigger you go the more lag you get.

very nice time :eek:
Is that with 100% stock fuel ,no fuel pump mod?
what are you using aem or vpc/afc
thanx

ken
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
849 Posts
Stock Weight.
I did the 11.1 with full interior with spare tire and jack in the car.

What is your goal with the car?
Dyno King
Drag King
Street car with some drag racing on weekends?

To many people think that it’s all about High HP# that not all true. If you want a fast car, its all about a good power band and whether or not you can get the power to the road. Last year I built a 700rwhp car it had plenty of power but sucked on the streets. Too much lag and when the power came on I was all over the road. In drag racing it all about the 60 foot, and traction. You don’t want the power to come on all at once on the street, you want more of a steady increase. That’s why the smaller turbos work better on the streets. Don’t get me wrong on the freeway the Large Turbos Rule, but that’s once you are already moving. Im just trying to say don’t get carried away with bigger must be better. I love my 61 I have good lo end power and plenty of high end for the street/strip. My 11.1 in Vegas I have to owe to my Auto trans with a 4000 stall. Its takes talent and a strong clutch to do that on a 6spd (I cant do it). With stock fuel I wouldnt go any bigger then a 61 just to be safe. It takes a lot of self-control not to crank up the boost on a bigger turbo. We have all been bitten by the HP bug, we just cant leave well enough alone.

I have enough power that nobody want to street race me any more.:(



DaIVIouth said:
Are you stock weight?
What would be the largest u'd go w/ a 6 speed and the TRD Diff? (3.27 gear)
- Matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
849 Posts
Fuel dampener bypass mod (for safety)
12 volt fuel pump mod
VPC with Apexi AFC (but that vpc is untuned (all at 12 o’clock) and the AFC was set to 0) I have a FJO and I was running rich.
I now need to do some tuning Im sure I can get a 10.9 I just ran out of time that night. I was still climatizing to the elevation. I dynoed 520rwhp on 91pump gas at 20 psi. Im going to get the dyno next month with some race gas. I had a good launch too my 60 foot was 1.6 I was running 275/17 BFG drag tires. check my website for more info.

]
www.utahracing.com


Matthew

C5KILLR said:
very nice time :eek:
Is that with 100% stock fuel ,no fuel pump mod?
what are you using aem or vpc/afc
thanx

ken
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
I have enough power that nobody want to street race me any more.
Hi Matt,
I'll still race you:D j/k
Hey, When can I take that offer? (about my lag'n Turbo)
Ken.

P.S. To All.....Matt (blackbird) knows what his talking about.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
17,255 Posts
I also agree that the 61-63 sized turbos make the best street combinations, but I've heard promising things about the latest generation of 67s as well. :)

Steve (PT63 equipped)
 

·
Driver Down
Joined
·
1,991 Posts
The powerband for the 61 is a nice, linear band with excellent low-RPM HP and torque. The 63 has slightly less spool, but is one torquey bastard, with the ability to crank out some HP.

However, lag is overrated. I'd trade 500RPM for an extra 100HP. I can work around lag.. nitrous, stall, etc. But, IMO, the largest turbo I would ever PERSONALLY put on a Supra, would be a 71.
 

·
Lets go Nets
Joined
·
2,956 Posts
blackbird said:
Fuel dampener bypass mod (for safety)
12 volt fuel pump mod
VPC with Apexi AFC (but that vpc is untuned (all at 12 o’clock) and the AFC was set to 0) I have a FJO and I was running rich.
I now need to do some tuning Im sure I can get a 10.9 I just ran out of time that night. I was still climatizing to the elevation. I dynoed 520rwhp on 91pump gas at 20 psi. Im going to get the dyno next month with some race gas. I had a good launch too my 60 foot was 1.6 I was running 275/17 BFG drag tires. check my website for more info.

]
www.utahracing.com


Matthew
good god, 1.6 60'!! sick stuff man. i love my T61 and wouldn't trade it for anything, expect a GT61 (dual ball bearing ;) ).

Brett
 

·
b00bies!!!
Joined
·
326 Posts
I was looking at the SP67HO for road racing use but have been hearing that the powerband is not all that well suited for it. Have you heard of anybody trying to roadrace with a 67 and their feedback on it???
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
17,255 Posts
People who roadrace with 67s are typically very good drivers. SW road raced with a T78 powered car, and that is pretty extreme due to it's super aggressive exhaust housing. Something like a 67 with a .68 housing probably wouldn't be TOO bad overall. :)

Steve T.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
762 Posts
Andy Baritchi (probably spelt that wrong!) used a 67GTQ for circuit racing with great success I believe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
849 Posts
I am running the new 61 turbo with a GT compressor wheel (non ball bearing)

here are better specs
Precision SC61
T04S cover with 4-inch inlet and 2.5-inch outlet. SC61 has a 61mm compressor wheel .58AR exhaust


neonafk said:
good god, 1.6 60'!! sick stuff man. i love my T61 and wouldn't trade it for anything, expect a GT61 (dual ball bearing ;) ).

Brett
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top