Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the SP tranny installed this afternoon and had a few questions for Larry (or anyone else that might know.
Can the SP tranny survive with the Trac Control butterfly removed from the throttle body?
Does this tranny use the stock filter?

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
Lonestar Dawg said:
I just had the SP tranny installed this afternoon and had a few questions for Larry (or anyone else that might know.
Can the SP tranny survive with the Trac Control butterfly removed from the throttle body?
Does this tranny use the stock filter?
Yes, it can survive w/ out the TRAC, that's the whole point. (but that's what Level 10 told me too)

My SP tranny is holding up very well, it will use the stock filter, but you don't want to use Toyota ATF, you want to use plain old Dextron III fluid.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Cool I wanted to know this as well... I know disabling the TRAC system on a stock Auto tranny will shorten the life dramatically... which is why I only have it disconnected for racing... Im glad to hear the SP tranny is all good with it permanently removed, I was assuming it would be (otherwise whats the point?) Nice to know that is correct.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ryan.
I just spoke to Larry at Sound Performance and he said the tranny will survive just fine without the trac control butterfly. He did say to make sure the the trac harness is unplugged at the throttle body.
Also they do recommend Dexron III fluid but the Toyota fluid is fine also. Their tranny builder says to stay away from any Synthetic fluid with this tranny.

·
411 HP GSXR / 203 HP Vrod
1,947 Posts
Pooshda, I have over 60,000 miles on my tranny since the removal of the butterfly and it still shifts perfectly. By the way, 60,000 HARD miles.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I have had my butterfly removed and have been going just fine for a year now. And that’s At BPU++ with head driving and 100k on the od.

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
Lonestar Dawg said:
Thanks Ryan.
Also they do recommend Dexron III fluid but the Toyota fluid is fine also. Their tranny builder says to stay away from any Synthetic fluid with this tranny.
Toyota fluid is fine, but not needed and it costs alot. Plus I've decided to change the tranny fluid every other oil change this was recommended by the tranny builder.

Happy New Year!

J

·
0 Posts
RSA Supra said:

Toyota fluid is fine, but not needed and it costs alot. Plus I've decided to change the tranny fluid every other oil change this was recommended by the tranny builder.

Happy New Year!
Do you mean flush it every other oil change or just drain it and add more fluid?

·
411 HP GSXR / 203 HP Vrod
1,947 Posts
Lonestar, were you using the stall without the beefed up tranny in the past? If so, how was the shifting vs. stock and what you have now?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jojo, just pull the plug and drain whats in the pan. It should take about 2 quarts to refill. (Per Sound Performance)

supraTT320, Dextron III is not okay with the stock tranny. Stay with the Toyota fluid. (again per SP due to the stock clutch plate material)

HKS To4R, No, I was not running the high stall converter before installing the SP tranny.

A couple of observations from driving the car for a couple of days with this setup.
1) The SP tranny shifts very quickly! But does not feel harsh at all when cruising around town.
2) With the high stall converter, even at light acceleration levels, the rpm level of the engine seems to almost instantly flash to the converters stall speed. In my case 3800-4000 rpm. This puts you right at the start of the steep ramp up of the power curve in our cars. It reminds me of last spring when I first replaced the exhaust on the car. The turbos seemed to spool in 1/4 of the time it took with the stock exhaust system. When you mash the go pedal you had better be ready to GO!
3) Also with the high stall converter, the rpms fall off very little as the tranny shifts through the gears, this is especially noticable at light to moderate acceleration levels. This keeps the turbos spooled up and ready for action.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Lonestar Dawg said:

A couple of observations from driving the car for a couple of days with this setup.
1) The SP tranny shifts very quickly! But does not feel harsh at all when cruising around town.
2) With the high stall converter, even at light acceleration levels, the rpm level of the engine seems to almost instantly flash to the converters stall speed. In my case 3800-4000 rpm. This puts you right at the start of the steep ramp up of the power curve in our cars. It reminds me of last spring when I first replaced the exhaust on the car. The turbos seemed to spool in 1/4 of the time it took with the stock exhaust system. When you mash the go pedal you had better be ready to GO!
3) Also with the high stall converter, the rpms fall off very little as the tranny shifts through the gears, this is especially noticable at light to moderate acceleration levels. This keeps the turbos spooled up and ready for action.
Nice... Damn I cant wait til I get a tranny!

And about the trac fuse thing...

Im only going on what I have heard others warn me about... and about other people's auto trannys slipping and failing after having the trac fuse permanently removed... Id like to believe mine would hold up just fine @ BPU+++ with it removed... because Id like to remove it!... but im afraid to do so except when racing because I cant afford to replace a tranny right now if something did go wrong... I dont have as much money as most of you guys ;)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And about the trac fuse thing...
pooshda,

From talking to the Toyota trained mechanic which worked on my tranny swap and from my own experience, I would recommend leaving the trac control intact with the stock tranny. Just disable it on 'special' ocassions! At BPU +++ levels, to weigh the potential risk to your tranny over the performance benefits it just doesn't seem worth it. Especially with a tight budget!

S

·
0 Posts
what year supras do you have i have a 94 it has the big button with trac off, so will this hurt the tranny if i drive around with the trac off,
thanx jason

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
suprat10 said:
what year supras do you have i have a 94 it has the big button with trac off, so will this hurt the tranny if i drive around with the trac off,
thanx jason
Turning off the traction control is fine, this will still enable the trac butterfly to close during shifts to protect the stcok automatic transmission.

As far as changing the tranny fluid, pulling the drain plug and draining the fluid is better than nothing, but will only remove 2-3 quarts. (about half of the fluid, the rest in in the TC) My mechanic has a machine that completely flushes out the tranny. It pushes 16 quarts through the tranny. They have them at a lot of dealerships, but it would be hella expensive with Toyota T4 fluid. But since I just use Dextron 3, its pretty resonable. And I'm not taking any chances, I don't need to break another tranny.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts