Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on getting a auto supra and getting a sp67 with the sp400 auto system. I wasn't gonna get the lock up for the sp400 but i was gonna get the 6 speed lsd. I was also gonna of course get a good transmission cooling fan. Do you think i'll have any problems driving this car daily with that setup for my transmission? also how much does the 6 speed lsd cost if you happen to know. My other choice is getting a 6 speed with some really good clutch like the carbon carbon but i know trying to launch those things is a bitch and all and autos have so many benefits.

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
First off, do a search. Its been talked about hundreds of times.

I drive my Sp400 all the time. I have the 6sp LSD as well. My recommendations are.....

Get the SP400 WITH lockup
Get the 6 sp LSD
Get 2 tranny coolers, preferably with fans on them.

you will also need a left rear axle from a 6sp supra to make the change over to the LSD. LSD sually goes for 800+ used.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Mike......what kind of rpms are you seeing at like 55mph? Not sure if its true but I've always heard those transmissions aren't very daily driver friendly just because they weren't made to go higher speeds for very long, like say cruising from Chicago to Milwaukee down I90 :)

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I honestly don't think this topic has been beaten up enough to help those who're considering it (like me). I've searched and ended up asking for people's IM nicks so I could grill them with questions to help with my decision. I'm concerned about the following:

1) driving for hours with or without lockup

2) having lockup (I think I have this one figured out)

3) having a transbrake (I believe I have this one figured out as well. I can't have it with lockup)

4) streetability with a high stall and having to decide between transbrake and lockup.

MK4LIFE said:
First off, do a search. Its been talked about hundreds of times.

I drive my Sp400 all the time. I have the 6sp LSD as well. My recommendations are.....

Get the SP400 WITH lockup
Get the 6 sp LSD
Get 2 tranny coolers, preferably with fans on them.

you will also need a left rear axle from a 6sp supra to make the change over to the LSD. LSD sually goes for 800+ used.

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
TH400 trannies with no lockups have been used daily for decades. Your momma's first station wagon probably had one. :D She got your daddy his beer and dropped you off at school every day, right? ;) And those old GM cars had a numerically higher rear diff ratio than the 6spd's 3.13:1 gearset.

My 1966 GTO: TH400 w/3.55 gears. Drove it all through college.

My 1990 454SS truck: TH400 w/3.73 gears. All day, baby.

4000 stall? Like slipping a 6spd clutch.

At speed manners? Take your 6spd out of overdrive. Done.

Can't get simpler, boys.

----------------
SP400 for life

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Again Fyrarms sums it up. Want my 2 cents? SP400, no lockup with the auto rear end. Let's be honest here guys, if anyone is seriously considering a TH400 setup for their TOYOTA Supra - you're looking to race pretty hardcore or have a car making some serious power (i.e. MK4LIFE...).

If you want to race alot, IMO - the gearing of the auto and much better launch clearly out weighs the extra rpm on the highway - for me, I don't see *many* extended highway trips in the Supra and the few times it does - the high cruise rpm would be no biggie for me and you're not going to hurt the motor either.

And I don't wanna hear bitching about losing the 180mph+ top end with the auto gearing - if you're looking at a TH400 - highway pulls to 170mph shouldn't be your concern anymore. If they are, stick with the 6spd and screw the auto...no need.

Check out this gearing calc:
http://www.speedworldmotorplex.com/calc.htm

26" tire, 3.73 gears:
3500rpm @ 73mph
7500rpm @ 156mph

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
Heres my opinion on whats been discussed here. i truely beleive that the SP400 with auto LSD is not street friendly at all. Can it be done, of course, is it better for the track, Hell yes. but the Sp400 with 6sp LSD is the way to go if you love driving on the street with occasional racing.

With the 6sp LSD, i can cruise at 70mph @ 3K rpm's. With the auto rear you will see rpm's in the 4K range.

The 6sp LSD is hurting me at the track, because of the gearing difference, it is harder to get out of the hole, but i sacrafice that to be able to cruise on the hwy up to 180mph, get better gas milage, and honestly my auto rear end was not a LSD, which it was supposed to be.

If you do more racing then cruising around, get the 400 with auto rear and transbrake, you will have a blast. If you like to cruise around town, go on trips, ect... get the 400 with 6sp LSD and lockup, or if you have cash just get the overdrive unit.

Long cruising for hours definatly needs a lockup. When im cruising and i lock it up, within 5 minutes i notice my trans drops at least 20-30 degrees. In summer heat, cruising without a lockup, you will melt something. I should know, i did. :)

regardless of setup, get 2 tranny coolers, the biggest you can fit, and preferably the new B&M ones with the SPAL fan attached to iy. your trans will thank you.

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
xsentrixsupra said:
what about longer road trips?
The Grizwalds drove from Chicago to Wally World in their station wagon. You can too. :D

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
If I was modding my Supra to have over 700rwhp and overpower even a modded stock tranny I would stick with an auto dif. and get the overdrive unit. If you had money for the car, money for the mods and money for the $5K tranny you may as well get the $2K overdrive unit and have the best of both worlds. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Who offers the OD unit? Wouldn't this be something else other htan a TH400? Isn't the 4L60-E Chevy's TH400 w/ OD creation?

FYRARMS, streetable is subjective as you know and that's why I was bugging people for details. I need to drive 2-3 hours in possible traffic with my car to get to the strip and towing isn't an option right now. It's important to know if one of the characteristics is overheating in the option I pick because I won't pick it. Sometimes you guys forget that with that high stall it's NOT the same as an old school car that stalls until 2.x rpms and will cruise at higher than that while some of us will be under that stall rpm and build a ton of heat.

This topic is almost as misinformed as the "what turbo to choose" discussions I've read over based on the shit that's been previously posted. I'm glad people are voicing their real world use and opinions so that it helps the other folks on here decide where they can draw the limit.

MK4LIFE said:
Heres my opinion on whats been discussed here. i truely beleive that the SP400 with auto LSD is not street friendly at all. Can it be done, of course, is it better for the track, Hell yes. but the Sp400 with 6sp LSD is the way to go if you love driving on the street with occasional racing.

With the 6sp LSD, i can cruise at 70mph @ 3K rpm's. With the auto rear you will see rpm's in the 4K range.

The 6sp LSD is hurting me at the track, because of the gearing difference, it is harder to get out of the hole, but i sacrafice that to be able to cruise on the hwy up to 180mph, get better gas milage, and honestly my auto rear end was not a LSD, which it was supposed to be.

If you do more racing then cruising around, get the 400 with auto rear and transbrake, you will have a blast. If you like to cruise around town, go on trips, ect... get the 400 with 6sp LSD and lockup, or if you have cash just get the overdrive unit.

Long cruising for hours definatly needs a lockup. When im cruising and i lock it up, within 5 minutes i notice my trans drops at least 20-30 degrees. In summer heat, cruising without a lockup, you will melt something. I should know, i did. :)

regardless of setup, get 2 tranny coolers, the biggest you can fit, and preferably the new B&M ones with the SPAL fan attached to iy. your trans will thank you.

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
3,333 Posts
silvino said:
Who offers the OD unit? Wouldn't this be something else other htan a TH400? Isn't the 4L60-E Chevy's TH400 w/ OD creation?
Gear vendors makes the OD unit... although no one has fitted on on a supra to my knowledge and there are questions whether it will fit or not..

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
That would be trick. If you guys can come out with this or something similar, it'd be sick. That with lockup and a transbrake and I'm SOLD. :)

racing fan said:
Gear vendors makes the OD unit... although no one has fitted on on a supra to my knowledge and there are questions whether it will fit or not..

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
VeilsideTT said:
If I was modding my Supra to have over 700rwhp and overpower even a modded stock tranny I would stick with an auto dif. and get the overdrive unit. If you had money for the car, money for the mods and money for the $5K tranny you may as well get the $2K overdrive unit and have the best of both worlds. Just my 2 cents.
SP and myself will solve this problem this winter when we change out the 1st and 2nd gears in the 400. I will retain the 6sp LSD and changing the 400 1st and 2nd will create the gearing almost identical to that of a Auto LSD in there. So i will have teh auto LSD gearing for 1st and 2nd, and then 3rd is 1:1 so i get all the hwy cruising with the 6sp LSD.

should be best of both worlds. Ill keep everyone up to date.

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
MK4LIFE said:
SP and myself will solve this problem this winter when we change out the 1st and 2nd gears in the 400. I will retain the 6sp LSD and changing the 400 1st and 2nd will create the gearing almost identical to that of a Auto LSD in there. So i will have teh auto LSD gearing for 1st and 2nd, and then 3rd is 1:1 so i get all the hwy cruising with the 6sp LSD.

should be best of both worlds. Ill keep everyone up to date.
Nice - I'm kinda surprised no one had tried this yet. That would require a pretty big 1 and 2 gear. I've seen 2.75/1.57 replacements - however, even 2.75 would = the auto rear. I imagine you'd need something close to 2.90 - 3.00 ?

Sounds like a good project - maybe match a new 1st / 2nd gear with a *slightly* bigger rear gear of 3.27 (JDM)?

Good luck!

Jay

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
Philly Single said:
Nice - I'm kinda surprised no one had tried this yet. That would require a pretty big 1 and 2 gear. I've seen 2.75/1.57 replacements - however, even 2.75 would = the auto rear. I imagine you'd need something close to 2.90 - 3.00 ?

Sounds like a good project - maybe match a new 1st / 2nd gear with a *slightly* bigger rear gear of 3.27 (JDM)?

Good luck!

Jay
the first and second gear in the 400 are 2.47 and 1.47 respectively. Were changing to a 2.77 and 1.77 and this should work out great. all the math seems right, its just physics. should work out great.

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
Alright, here's what I am doing:

SP400
NO lockup
4000 stall SP/Neil Chance converter
Standard forward shift pattern
Steeper 1st and 2nd planetary gears
B&M trans coolers with Spal fans
3.13:1 gears
TRD diff

Gear Vendors OD is $2000, and it won't fit the MKIV tunnel.

4L80E has been done. I saw the HACK JOB required to fit it in the MKIV. Forget it.

4L60E is a modern TH700R4. You would smoke that trans after a few runs in the 10's. I have used SEVERLY modded 700R4 trannies in my 10-second Vortech'd 383" Formula. They work great under 6500rpm. RPMs are what kill those trannies.

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
FYRARMS said:
Alright, here's what I am doing:

SP400
NO lockup
4000 stall SP/Neil Chance converter
Standard forward shift pattern
Steeper 1st and 2nd planetary gears
B&M trans coolers with Spal fans
3.13:1 gears
TRD diff

Same setup as me, except for that crazy converter, way too rich for my blood.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Thanks for all the juicy info guys. I appreciate the time taken to share everything. This is the type of shit I'd love to talk about in person at one of the meets. I'll hopefully see you guys in Texas. Beer it up talking about stuff before we head to Treasures :p.

·
Registered
220 Posts
silvino said:
Klune also makes an overdrive, obviously it would have to be custom, not sure if the gear vendors is.

From what I've read (and talking to a Chevy tranny guy) the 700R4 is an overdrive TH350 and the 4L60E is the electronic 700R4. So if the TH350 can handle high HP fine, why can't the 4L60E?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts