Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We tried some dyno tuning with a couple cars today, but unfortunately, mine didn't appear happy. Possibly due to the fact that we have a VPC chip for the stock twins in there, it ended up with a bizarre fuel curve, leaning it out oddly in the middle of the top end. We got a GCC in to tweak it (wasn't using a fuel controller before, much smoother pulls now), but weren't able to get it back on the dyno to push it farther and verify all was well.

So, nutshell, here are a couple dyno runs with some fuel problems, but it's a baseline. Best run at ~17.5PSI (1.23kg/cm2) was 484RWHP with 469RWTQ. Put down 448RWHP/433RWTQ at just under 16PSI (1.1kg/cm2), where the A/F ratio stayed a little more sane. Turned up the boost to 24PSI "just to see" and got up to 530RWTQ at ~4200RPM before letting off as the A/F was 14:1 and getting leaner (TQ was still climbing hard). Kinda scary because I've driven it like this multiple times, I was really surprised to see the A/F go all psycho.

So it definitely needs some work with a fuel controller to work these out. On a related happy note (I'm sure we'll see more detail from him), [email protected]'s car SP01 put down 819RWHP on spray.. :)

-Pete

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
Those are still great numbers pete... What correction is this graph in? Is it SAE, STD, Uncorrected? If it is SAE, what was the CF?
Anyhow, make sure your fuel computer is installed correctly, we had some guys here in houston that had their sfc/afc/vpc/gcc (whatever they were using) installed incorrectly and their fuel curve looked just like yours...
Keep us posted...

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great numbers, man I ran 1.3 all day today in a little road trip :0 I peaked at 880 egts at just about light speed on an open highway :)

Does the vpc chip have a seperate one for singles and stock twins? I thought it was only concerned with the size of the injectors?

Also why does car keep getting richer and richer, I have the same results with my wide band o2???

Congrats!!!!!

·
Listen to my hands...
323 Posts
Looking at your A/Fs makes me think I might have the wrong or bad VPC chips. My car goes rich at 4500...then shoots up to 15.8 then averages 14.0s no matter what I do.

My graphs look similar...I just go a lot leaner.

Scott

Peace

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another great thing about that, is that the dyno fans hardly do our FMIC justice :) Man that is a lot more power than I thought....I love my turbo :)

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
HoustonT - Looks like it's STD corrected, no idea what the factor was. Good conditions, probably ~70 degrees and fairly dry. I didn't have a fuel computer installed on those runs, figured it'd be okay without one just on the VPC, guess I was wrong. :mad: Oh, well, now I have one, so hopefully next time will be happer. :)

Pete - The only VPC chip for 550cc injectors is also for the stock twins. Not sure how much of a difference that makes. The ECU was clearly leaning it out from 4000-6500RPM for some reason without a fuel controller in there. The car kept getting richer and richer because we kept turning up the overall richness on the VPC to try to get make something happen, with no luck. :)

Hrm, three Pete's on this thread already... Could get confusing. ;) LOL.

-Pete

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think the VPC chip is the answer, maybe a G-force ecu But I bet you can tune around it :) Anyway I ran 1.3 this morning with the wide band 02 and no tuning, I hit .84 on the run which is 12.3:1 or so, since I am a wuss, I am going to try to richen it up at lunch to .80 I will try to dial it all in and let you know how it goes :)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh and I hit .84 pretty early, ~5000rpms, just gets richer after that ??? wierd?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK Just got back :) I hit the freeway and did some pulls from 60-120. I started out at 1.2 and went to 1.4, both were very safe per the wide band, but I also have the Gforce ecu so my fuel maps may be different. Anyway I had richened it up a bit for safety but ended up back with everything zeroed out. I could go leaner even at 1.4 but I would like a little safety :) Most all of the pulls had me about 11.4:1 and a peak egt of 820 in the collector. So all in all I think I am done :) I could even sell the GCC ;) Very happy with the power, even with the a/c on, just to simulate a little more load on the car. Also I think the car runs a bit leaner in 1st and 2nd gear as the load is more but nothing past .80

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pete, sounds cool! I was planning on picking up a Motec or similar wideband, but might hold off for a SpeedPro now, not sure...

FYI, you do know that having the A/C on doesn't make a difference at full throttle, right? We have a WOT cutoff that disables the compressor... :)

-Pete

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ah.....yeah......of course I knew that ;) I never knew, no wonder it didn't change anyhing :) hey I also seemed to find a wierd area like you said :) I turned the boost up too much ~1.6 or so and backed out of it when the o2 was jumping around a bit. :)

the o2 is a great tool to have, I just plug it in and hit the freeway :)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm next on the list for a 57 so I'm glad to see those #'s. I am really not too interested in the #'s game, I just want more topend than the pea shooters with similar spool. I do want to break 500rwhp just for the sake of saying so:) Do you think your fuel problems are fixable with a fuel controler? Seems like if it wants to go that lean thats all the injectors are gonna do? You have a pulsation dampener bypass? Good luck with it all. I may email you 57 owners this week before Larry actually sends me that turbo to ask a few questions but at this point I really want one of those SP57's!!!!!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Mee too! I want a 57 also. when you get yours up and running I want to come up to Knox and go for a ride in it Brad. Hell I want to drive it if youll let me. I will probably be in Knoxville within a week or two for a day. I realize it wont be installed by then but your only a 1 Hr drive from Chatt if traffic isn't too thick.:D
Jeff

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Brad - Yeah, I definitely think there's more in the fuel, based on the way it went it didn't seem to be maxing out the injectors, it's just some weird shit going on. We're gonna slap a Techtom in there and see what kind of duty cycle we're looking at, and after swapping out the temporary GCC for a S-AFC, hopefully get back on the dyno and try, try again. :) As always, will post with more detail as it happens.

I don't have the FPD bypass - after discussing this carefully with Larry and looking at the stock setup, there's no advantage and possibly some damage to be caused by doing it, IMO. The stock FPD is not the smallest restriction in the setup, and it's there for a reason.

Ran 99.3MPH in the 1/8th mile today with a *horrible* 2.24 60' time, ended up being [email protected] (I missed 5th gear again, dammit), got kicked out. :mad: (Route 66 sucks, way too anal)

Also ran another pass (babied 12.2 because of fear of what happened later with that 11 second pass) bouncing off the rev limiter in 4th gear right before and all the way through the traps, seeing 124.55MPH (vs. 124.53MPH before doing the same thing), confirming right where 4th gear ends and that yep, I definitely do have to shift into 5th in the 1/4. *grumble* (need... 7500RPM... rev limiter... ugh...) :D

-Pete

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On the Damper issue, there is one more restriction in the back that is smaller but going to a walbro pump I believe fixes that :) I did the pump, aluminum lines, aftermarket filter, and dampner bypass. I wasn't sure if i was staying with stock fuel so I could do the rest pretty easy if I decieded too. Wasn't too expensive either. I also have a set of balaced and blueprinted injectors and a new FP regulator waiting to go in, when I stop being so lazy ;) Anyway, wat I was trying to say is if you are going to do the dampner, may as well do the pump too :)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That 99 through the 1/8 is awesome!!! My goal is to break 100mph through the 1/8!!!!! I guess I'll hold off on that new line to the stock rail. I dont really know when my damn turbo is gonna get here. I'm gonna call Larry tomorrow. My car's been down for 2 weeks now and I'm getting in a really bad mood because of it. Hopefully it'll be here this week. I'm gonna go dyno it soon after. I just cant wait for the damn thing. I wish those sons of bitches that are coating my manifold would hurry their asses up!!!!!!

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Brad - I *will* get 100MPH in the 1/8th, dammit! :D Haha, well, if I don't, I'm sure someone can - my suspension makes it a bitch to launch hard, I'm sure with a good launch on a 6spd it could get up to 101MPH or so, and 128+ in the 1/4 if you had a higher rev limiter in 4th.

I know Larry has a turbo for you (he mentioned it last time I was at the shop), though whether it's coated/etc. I don't know. Could be worse - if you wanted a 63, you'd be waiting for a lot longer, maybe. ;)

Manifold? MANIFOLD?! Don't tell me you're not putting a nice set of headers on? tsk tsk... You'll never see 100MPH in the 1/4 like that! ;) LOL.

-Pete

·
i'm a bauce
1,287 Posts
hmm

why spend 4k for an sp-57 kit, to get 470rwhp

when you can spend ~6~ k and get 600rwhp with the sp-63?

stock twins and a 75 shot now would get you 550rwhp, so why not spend 500 for the nos, instead of 4k for the 57?

dosen't make sense to me?

when i go single it will be sp63 or 66...no sense in spending the extra money if your only gonna be 50hp over bpu

:p

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
weedwhacker - Read my "SP57 First Impressions" thread in the General Forum (you might have to search for it) as to why I didn't go with an SP63 yet.

Stock twins and a 75 shot getting you 550RWHP? No way. With a 125shot, maybe. Either way, NOS is boring and increases the potential for problems ten fold. You can't complain about a car that's pushing 470+RWHP at 18PSI on pump gas *all the time* whether it's hot or cold, along with spooling better and hitting hard than the stock massively overworked turbos. The stock turbos fluctuate horribly, aren't smooth, and are very picky, along with having a lot of parts to go wrong.

That all said, I didn't bother with a single until I popped my stockers, precisely because I didn't think it worth it to drop the extra money for "only" another 80+hp. It certainly wasn't worth wasting the money to put it another POS stocker when I could put that money towards a single, though.

-Pete

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"along with having a lot of parts to go wrong."

Amen to that brother, 1/2 of the reason I went single was maintainence of the vehicle. After swapping the stockers twice, I swore i would never do that again, now I can swap a turbo in 20 minutes :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts