Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that suprasport.com is now offering the sp61gt direct bolt up turbo for MKIII. I wanted to know what is this turbo like in comparison to the t3/t4 they offer in terms of spool up, peak power potential range, and reliability. If anyone has this turbo let me know what you think of it . I want a turbo with fast spool and be able to supply the air for 450 to 500 rwhp and do it reliably. Which would be best for the job?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
T3/T4 has real fast spool, spools at 3200 rpm for me.

·
aka FredMk3
586 Posts
MRSUPRA has the sp61gt and he spool @ 15psi at 3250-3300 rpm, thats with the stock elbow and HKS dp. This turbo should be able to make upward of 500hp.

3,796 Posts
I remember that the t3/t4's where having issues with the internal wastegates...dont know if they got that squared away but it is something to consider.

·
boost hungry
665 Posts
how much can the T3/T4 handle power wise, I'm pretty interested, because my brother can get em for cheap like 250 bucks a pop.

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
Keep in mind, the replacement T3/T4 is a specialy designed turbo that will bolt right up to our stock manifold. An generic turbo will need to be adapted to fit our cars.

G

·
My T3/ T4 starts spooling at 3000 rpm. I get full boost by 3800 rpm. This turbo hits like a friggin freight train. I've never tried the other turbo. So, far I love mine. BTW I have the Stage V, dry housing, and NO wastegate issues. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
if i could do it all over again from scratch, i would take the SP61GT.

·
it's a rod knock life
489 Posts
Aren't you still on the upgraded ct-26 Supraguy. If not what did you go to?
Oh, my true 60-1 t3/t4 began to spool around 2800rpm with 15psi at 3200rpm. No wastegate issues.
I wonder if the Sp61GT uses a fixed thrust washer with it's wet center section.

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
IdRockaSupra said:
can you run a SP61 wit stock internals ? w/ mhg obviously
You can run any turbo on stock internals. The question is how long will it last;) The SP61 should be fine as long as you dont try to push too much boost. I plan on using it to make about 400 - 440 rwhp. Ive heard 500 is possible, but im assuming on race gas etc. We will see once someone dynos with it though.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I run my SP61GT on stock internals. I am aiming for 500rwhp on with race gas of course.

As for the comparison between the SP61 and the T3/T4. I dont know which one is better, I have neverdriven one with a T3/T4. But I do plan on dynoing my car some time in January, so comparisons between the two turbos can be made based on dyno graphs. In my opinion, for the money, with its modern GT wheels, the SP61GT is hard to beat.

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
of course the GT wheel is better, its a newer design! Both are garrett compressors. Turbo magazine had a comparison of the T3 to the new GT wheels and showed an approximate 11% increase in efficiency. Purchasing a T3/4 now is like buying a celica/supra.

·
Registered
141 Posts
p5150 said:
of course the GT wheel is better, its a newer design! Both are garrett compressors. Turbo magazine had a comparison of the T3 to the new GT wheels and showed an approximate 11% increase in efficiency. Purchasing a T3/4 now is like buying a celica/supra.
Haha, it ain't a bad thing to buy a celica supra then swap 5m for 7mgte and use a t3/t4 turbo (with supporting mods of course)!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts