Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, well my sp61gt is almost done. where in the hell did you mount the oil dipstick tube? i think i'm going to have to make a bracket and bolt it to one of the compressor housing bolts.

also i went to ace hardware and bought long bolts for the wastegate. those little bolts are fine for the compressor housing; but there not long enough to attach the wastegate.

i got 5/16-18 (3/4 of an inch) they seem to work pefect.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Are you talking about the bolt-on SP61GT?

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Ok, the bracket for the dipstick needs to be made. Mine sucks, but it gets the job done. I just used that flexable sheet metal with holes that you can get at homedepot. I bolted it straight to one of the existing turbo bolts.

For the downpipe elbow, I used homedepot long bolts to bolt the elbow to the turbine housing/wastegate area. Seems to work very good. I can't remember what size.

Another important thing is that you have to put some kind of spacer between the turbo support(bottom) and the turbo, or the support might rub against the wastegate. i used about 4 washers.

The most important thing is too make sure the wastegate rod is coming out of the actuator perfectly straight or it will not regulate boost properly. You might have to bend the rod like I did.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thanks. the rod came pre-bent and everything else seems to be working good. hopefully i can get the car running today/

i'm glad you told me about using the washers, i just went outside and noticed the lower brace was smashed up against the actuator. i hope i didn't mess anything up. i used 4 washers and the clearence is back to normal

B

·
0 Posts
hey did you have fun installing it :) ?just installed mine luckily the engine was out of the car and jacked about five feet in the air i couldn't imagine the amount of blood and busted knuckes i would have if it were in the car.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
browning said:
hey did you have fun installing it :) ?just installed mine luckily the engine was out of the car and jacked about five feet in the air i couldn't imagine the amount of blood and busted knuckes i would have if it were in the car.
ohh, this was a mother-fucker. it took about 8 hrs to get everything done. i had to take the entire turbo apart and bolt it on piece by piece. that was the only way i could do it and have the oil line match up and the wastegate line up. the hardest part was putting that small clip on the wastegate with the turbo already mounted.

·
Supra Fan
4,115 Posts
mounting the dipstick tube is easy. just bend the mounting bracket till it fits...It only took 5 minutes to mount mine

·
Registered
205 Posts
There is another thing you want to do. Grind off a little of the exhaust side turbine. The top nut, to the front of the car is a PITA to get off or on. Since I have done this twice and it was a pita to get the wrench in there to tighten and loosen that top nut. I took off a little and everything is easier. You can also grind down a 14mm closed end wrench, if it is easier. On the dip stick, it was easy to bend it a bit and drill a new hole in the cover.

N

·
0 Posts
etdean2 said:
There is another thing you want to do. Grind off a little of the exhaust side turbine. The top nut, to the front of the car is a PITA to get off or on. Since I have done this twice and it was a pita to get the wrench in there to tighten and loosen that top nut. I took off a little and everything is easier. You can also grind down a 14mm closed end wrench, if it is easier. On the dip stick, it was easy to bend it a bit and drill a new hole in the cover.

why would you possibly want to grind a little off the exhaust side turbine??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts