Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in case you don't remember a few weeks back I had my car tuned on a mustang dyno and at 26psi I only made 503hp. http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268304 The other day I had an appt for a Dynojet dyno just to see the difference. Only change made to the car was an addition of a HKS DLI unit. I did have some spark blowout issue driving and the DLI did cure it so that might have been partial to blame for my differnce but anyhow here is the two graphs to compare.

I know I know it's rich but I like it safe. It could be tuned alittle better but I'm still working on it.

Dynojet 26psi:

Mustang 26psi:

·
11,219 Posts
Whoa, the only difference was the DLI? Normally the Mustang dyno reads higher than the dynojet. So I'm surprised the dynojet still reads higher than the Mustang after only adding a DLI.

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
michaelvanle said:
Whoa, the only difference was the DLI? Normally the Mustang dyno reads higher than the dynojet. So I'm surprised the dynojet still reads higher than the Mustang after only adding a DLI.

normally the dynojet read higher then the mustang, you got it backwards :)

jay

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Good to see you got a "number" :D IMO - mustang is the way to go, even w/the lower numbers...

which dyno will you do more tuning on?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments. I really liked the way the mustang dyno worked and after the tune the af's were the same on the street. The runs were slower on the mustang and you had more time to monitor what was going on. I'll have to go back and redyno on the mustang with the exact same setup. The owner of the mustang dyno was very shocked to hear how low his dyno read and we want to rerun to get a "apples to apples" comparision between the two.

Keep in mind that 585 number was after 3 prior pulls back to back so it was pretty heatsoaked and no ice or water was used. On the mustang I must have pulled about 15 pulls in a 4 hour tune session with minimal cool down time also. (doesn't it seem like everytime we go to the dyno time flies and we all feel rushed to get done? :dunno: , maybe it's just me? )

Anyway, after it's all said and done I kinda wanted to see somewhat of a good number since I spent all that damn money and after that basically hunk of s*it number I had on the mustang I needed a boost to my hurt ego :biggrin: I heard that's exactly why someone invented the dyno jet too. :rockon:

·
Boost Junkie
12,385 Posts
Hey,

Those are great numbers! Congrats!

Steve K.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Take it to the track and see how what your trap speed is. That'll be a better indication of how your car really perform instead of comparing these different numbers between different dynos. :)

btw, I love your engine and you have my favorite/ideal turbo set up

good luck.

·
Former Moderator
3,783 Posts
Very good numbers and the curve is nice and smooth. That little 63 is a very interesting turbo. The spool is just amazing and the top end is still good. Do you have cams in there?

-Olivier

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Olivier Caza said:
Very good numbers and the curve is nice and smooth. That little 63 is a very interesting turbo. The spool is just amazing and the top end is still good. Do you have cams in there?

-Olivier
Nope no cams. That's on my list along with a port and polish once my wallet gets alittle heavier.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I need to figure out....

I need to figure out how to get a ride in that car of yours....I am more than likely going to go with an SP63 or something real similar when I go single, and would love to get a spin in your machine...I'm in Delaware near Newark, and if you are in Harrisburg, I have to figure out how to make that happen....Any thoughts?

Thanks in Advance,

P.S. I am defintely "in" on the East Coast meet for the show and shine, assuming good weather, any chance you'd be there?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If your ever up this way give me a shout. I'd be more than happy to take you for a spin.
When and where is that show and shine? I'd be upto going. I'm also going to be hitting the millersville show this year and if you know of any others closer to your way that might work, give me a shout.

·
hardtopper
2,409 Posts
Once again Mike that is awesome!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
That's pretty consistant...We had an out of town Supra dyno here on our Mustang @ 558 rwhp then go across town to a Dynojet and put down 620.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Nice number Mike, thats an easy 600 with maintaining a 12.0 afr. Do you have a wb on your car to make sure your still rich on the street? What octane gas were you using?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rviscosi said:
Nice number Mike, thats an easy 600 with maintaining a 12.0 afr. Do you have a wb on your car to make sure your still rich on the street? What octane gas were you using?
Thanks, I do have a plx wb in the car with gauge in dash to keep an eye on the afr's. They run alittle leaner on the street but not much. As far as fuel I had 3/4th tank at the time of the run with 7gal of cam2 114octane and rest 93.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
The Mustang dyno's do a better job of putting the proper load on the engine

I see the lean dip at around 4000 but after that its pretty lean.

Be aware that cams will make that 63 spool noticeably later.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
mike91t said:
Thanks, I do have a plx wb in the car with gauge in dash to keep an eye on the afr's. They run alittle leaner on the street but not much. As far as fuel I had 3/4th tank at the time of the run with 7gal of cam2 114octane and rest 93.
What size exhaust housing does your turbo have Mike?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rviscosi said:
What size exhaust housing does your turbo have Mike?
3 in, I've got only the 3 inch dp and midpipe too. I'm also on a 3 inch exhaust (ATR) but I like the sound so I keep it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts