Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas,
Just waiting on the SP67 ball bearing to arrive at the house. What have you guys seen this Turbo efficiently tapping out at? I would like to have a little secret switch wired to the AEM that once triggered took me up to maxing out the fun level of this thing...muhahahaha :nuts:

·
Life begins @ 30psi....
2,369 Posts
Are you talking about max boost or RWHP when you say tapping out?

I have a 67 (SP and BL are precision turbos) non ball bearing type FYI and with an automatic its hard to tell how much flywheel horsepower I am making but its somewhere near 700-725 or so @ 30psi of boost I would think. I have not been able to go higher boost as of yet but that will change soon enough once I get the heavier waste gate spring in.

Bob

·
Boost Junkie
12,623 Posts
Bob,

You are making more power than that. In order for a 3800lb car to trap 133 you should be making around 700 to the wheels. Dyno numbers mean nothing with a high stall.

A well put together 67 should make 700-750whp depending on other mods.

Steve K.

·
WI-FI FTW, GTFO fuse box!
8,108 Posts

·
Never enough
1,418 Posts
I have consistently made over 650whp SAE on a dynojet 248c through an unlocked automatic with a 67 p trim, .81 A/R, 264 cams and an AEM.

·
Life begins @ 30psi....
2,369 Posts
I have consistently made over 650whp SAE on a dynojet 248c through an unlocked automatic with a 67 p trim, .81 A/R, 264 cams and an AEM.
Man I do not know any 67 cars with an unlocked auto putting down that much on a dynojet SAE. Most of us on a dynojet make high 500's to about 630rwhp at most. What stall is in the car and what boost pressure where you making that kind of power at?

I would also be curious to what you car traps in 1/4 and the approx. race weight with you in it also.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Life begins @ 30psi....
2,369 Posts
Bob,

You are making more power than that. In order for a 3800lb car to trap 133 you should be making around 700 to the wheels. Dyno numbers mean nothing with a high stall.

A well put together 67 should make 700-750whp depending on other mods.

Steve K.
HEHEHEHEHE!!!

I know Steve :)

you have beat that into my pee brain over the last year or so by teaching me the finer points of owning an automatic Supra even though you have jumped ship on me :nono: .

We auto owners are stuck with crappy dyno #'s but I am ok with that.. :1poke:

Bob

·
Never enough
1,418 Posts
Man I do not know any 67 cars with an unlocked auto putting down that much on a dynojet SAE. Most of us on a dynojet make high 500's to about 630rwhp at most. What stall is in the car and what boost pressure where you making that kind of power at?

I would also be curious to what you car traps in 1/4 and the approx. race weight with you in it also.

Thanks,
Bob
Car is full weight and trapped consistent 137-138mph (31psi and holding)i. I have never weighed the car, but like I said it is full weight with a 6pt bar and I am 220lbs :) I attribute the decent power to the wastegate springs I am running - they allow me to hold 31 psi steadily. I am also running the AEM and c16 fuel.

·
Life begins @ 30psi....
2,369 Posts
Car is full weight and trapped consistent 137-138mph (31psi and holding)i. I have never weighed the car, but like I said it is full weight with a 6pt bar and I am 220lbs :) I attribute the decent power to the wastegate springs I am running - they allow me to hold 31 psi steadily. I am also running the AEM and c16 fuel.
Ok you have peaked my interest, can I ask a few more questions :)

What gate are you running and what springs do you have in it? What converter and stall do you have?

I have a HKS 50mm gate with 16psi spring right now and I can only get 27psi or so with the boost controller maxed out at 36psi. The controller will hold lower boost presssures SPOT ON but as the boost rises it will not hold the preset pressure. I have a HKS EVC6 FYI. My car only dyno'd 557 the day before it ran a 10.39 @ 132.39 so I am really wanting to get another 3-4psi out of it so I am installing a 18.5psi spring as soon as my lazy ass gets motivated to pull the gate off the car. I want to try for a 9 second pass hopefully sometime this fall and I going to need every ounce of power my setup can muster. I am not wanting to put the bottle on it just yet.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
MKIV TT 6 Speed
1,488 Posts
Some of these claimed numbers are pretty high. The rated capacity range for a 67mm turbo is 640-670rwhp depending on the wheel type, compressor housing and exhaust housing. Higher horsepower goals have been reached but it is not recommended too exceed the turbo chargers rated max output.

·
Never enough
1,418 Posts
Ok you have peaked my interest, can I ask a few more questions :)

What gate are you running and what springs do you have in it? What converter and stall do you have?

I have a HKS 50mm gate with 16psi spring right now and I can only get 27psi or so with the boost controller maxed out at 36psi. The controller will hold lower boost presssures SPOT ON but as the boost rises it will not hold the preset pressure. I have a HKS EVC6 FYI. My car only dyno'd 557 the day before it ran a 10.39 @ 132.39 so I am really wanting to get another 3-4psi out of it so I am installing a 18.5psi spring as soon as my lazy ass gets motivated to pull the gate off the car. I want to try for a 9 second pass hopefully sometime this fall and I going to need every ounce of power my setup can muster. I am not wanting to put the bottle on it just yet.

Thanks,
Bob
Bob,

I' m running the HKS 60mm gate that came with my SP kit along with a combination of 2 springs (big spring and helper spring) for a base boost of 18.5psi. On most days it hits more like 20psi as a base boost. I was running an SP gen II trans with a PI 4000rpm single disc converter. Does your car have cams? Before the 264 cams I was making around 580whp at 28-29psi so you're not far off. I wish I had gone to the track more often as I'm sure with some good track prep and seat time it would have went very close to 9s. Oddly enough when I switched to a 71Q the car didn't really pick up much more peak power.

I recently converted the car to a 6 speed so I'm curious to see how the car will respond on the dyno :) I'll keep you posted.

Andrew

·
Boost Junkie
12,623 Posts
Bob,

I also am running the Tial 44mm with a combination of springs. My base boost is 18.5lbs also. I was able to hold 28psi at the track no problem with the controller set at 75%. I definately think switching springs will help.

Steve

·
Life begins @ 30psi....
2,369 Posts
Andrew -

My car has a good amount of head work including HKS 272's / full Ferrerra +1mm vales / Crower springs, ret, locks. I am hoping that the heavier spring will do trick, the car was WAY down on power in Houston due to the boost issue and way rich AFR's. The car seems to make a lot of power per PSI of boost once the pressures get higher, it made 525 on the first pull in Houston with the boost at 26psi and 557 with the boost 27.5 one minute later.

It is looking more and more like I am going to take the car to Darin at Titan to do a real tune on it rather then this email stuff that I have been messing with so far. I have the trailer know so there is no excuse not to, I think once I get the spring in it and have it really tuned it will make huge difference.

Hell it ran 10.39 with an email tune, 27psi, and 10.3 AFR's it seems to fairly quick given those circumstances.

Bob

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have made 740 hp and 689 tq on a spssgt850w (glorified 67 mm turbo) at 34psi. I have cams (JUN 256/264) and springs (crower) but oem intake main. At min w/g spring pressure ~21 psi it puts down 579 hp.

·
Never enough
1,418 Posts
Andrew -

My car has a good amount of head work including HKS 272's / full Ferrerra +1mm vales / Crower springs, ret, locks. I am hoping that the heavier spring will do trick, the car was WAY down on power in Houston due to the boost issue and way rich AFR's. The car seems to make a lot of power per PSI of boost once the pressures get higher, it made 525 on the first pull in Houston with the boost at 26psi and 557 with the boost 27.5 one minute later.

It is looking more and more like I am going to take the car to Darin at Titan to do a real tune on it rather then this email stuff that I have been messing with so far. I have the trailer know so there is no excuse not to, I think once I get the spring in it and have it really tuned it will make huge difference.

Hell it ran 10.39 with an email tune, 27psi, and 10.3 AFR's it seems to fairly quick given those circumstances.

Bob
Bob, your car is running decently given the cirumstances. What engine mangement are you running? If AEM send me your map and I will take a look at it.

Thanks!

Andrew

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Does anyone know the boost pressure efficiency range of the 67mm P-trim .68 AR? I'd hate to give up lost power by not being able to hold maximum boost, but at the same time I'd like to be able to run 92 octane on low boost.

Also, what's the highest boost you can safely run on 92 octane? Having a min spring pressure of 21 psi seems risky for 92 octane IMO - not for dyno pulls, but for street pulls.

John H

·
Boost Junkie
12,623 Posts
John,

I run 102 unleaded all of the time so I don't worry about it. If I didn't have the 102 available here at the pumps I would use some sort of methanol injection.

Steve K.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts