Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My original plan was to go with something along the lines of a SP63 or similar size simply because it has been widely accepted and tested as a great turbo choice for an Auto Supra. After talking with Larry on a few occasions and seeing the latest dyno results from Al’s car, I decided (more like was convinced) to be a little different and go with something a little bigger, namely the SP70 (.81). I could not be happier with my decision.

The general consensus has been that Auto’s tend to suffer from too much lag, even with a high stall, and that going big would result in an overly laggy turbo car, especially for the street. The general consensus could not be more wrong when it comes to the SP70. This turbo is absolutely AMAZING. From a dead stop this turbo is building boost somewhere around 3600rpm (As a side note, high stall converters really work wonders for spooling turbos in an Auto.) By the time my converter slips completely the tires are roasting with NO lag time. The best part is it looks to be hitting full boost (1.55 kg or 22psi thus far) in the neighborhood of 4500-4800 rpm in 1st gear, which is very impressive for a turbo with a 70mm compressor wheel and .81 A/R housing. Obviously top-end power for a turbo this size is going to be stellar, but it’s the quick spool that has been the most impressive thus far.

The car has been baseline dyno tuned by Chris at PM to get in the neighborhood of 11.5-11.8 A/F ratio. I’ll put some 104 octane in it, and put it back on the dyno this weekend to fine tune it at around 30 psi. I’ll post the numbers when I get them.

Special thanks to Phil Panas for his continual help, and making sure I had everything I needed and on time, Larry and Sound Performance for creating and designing a great turbo kit and fuel system, and delivering it on very short notice, and Chris Johnson @ Performance Motorsports for his great attention to detail and impeccable work while installing the kit. Thanks for everything guys.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Hey Joe, I'm glad you like the turbo, turbo kit and fuel system.

I called you back last week and left a message on your machine or voice mail. I heard you may want a different spring for your wastegate?? Let me know.

Lar
SP

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Weiyan,

I wasn't at the shop when the car was tuned so I do not know the numbers or have a graph. They simply tuned it for the correct a/f for safety at a moderately low boost level. For these reasons, and to get some concrete high boost numbers, it's going back on the dyno this weekend.

Larry,

I got your message but I could not call you back that day. Sorry. I'm hoping Peter B. can find his old wastegate spring and I'
ll just use that one. If he can't, I am going to need a less aggressive one. I'll let you know soon.

BTW, the kit is great man! Thanks for getting it together so fast. I am wondering your opinion on what boost level (psi) to shoot for when tuning? Would 30psi be enough to start to get that turbo into it's efficiency range? As you know, I'm on stock cams and intake.

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Congrats man!!!!!

I'd really like to get together with some of you guys with the SP70 and SP74 turbo and do a comparison to the T76bb turbo I have on my Supra.

I think it would be very helpful to all of us to see some good comparison of these big turbos!

Jay

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
Joe, i have the spring. You can come by this weekend sometime and i'll help you put it on your car (possibly friday or saturday afternoon). Give me a call when you get a chance...
Peter

·
Registered
256 Posts
Congrats again Joe!
I couldn't make it to postoak last sat, so I missed a chance to check out your car:( . Oh well, I could maybe go for a ride some other time;) . Maybe we could meet up friday or sat and I could pick up the intake.
later
yoshie

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Peter,

Perfect. I can stop by either Friday afternoon or sometime Saturday. I'll get in touch with you.

Yoshie,

That's fine man. I really don't have any plans this weekend other than to put the car on the dyno. I have work early on Sunday though, so I doubt I'm going out this Saturday.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Supreme said:

The car has been baseline dyno tuned by Chris at PM to get in the neighborhood of 11.5-11.8 A/F ratio. I’ll put some 104 octane in it, and put it back on the dyno this weekend to fine tune it at around 30 psi. I’ll post the numbers when I get them.

Special thanks to Phil Panas for his continual help, and making sure I had everything I needed and on time, Larry and Sound Performance for creating and designing a great turbo kit and fuel system, and delivering it on very short notice, and Chris Johnson @ Performance Motorsports for his great attention to detail and impeccable work while installing the kit. Thanks for everything guys.
Hey, what about that hot blonde guy from TurboImports.com ? I actually saw him dyno and tune the car. Hell, I think he even diagnosed the problem with the kit as being an incorrect wastegate spring. He didn't even make a penny, which is good, cause he's happy with his life and didnt need to make anything. When he was done, I even saw him skipping gleefully down the street, whistling showtunes! :fruit:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Re: SP70 in an Auto kicks ass!

sc300tt said:

Hey, what about that hot blonde guy from TurboImports.com ? I actually saw him dyno and tune the car. Hell, I think he even diagnosed the problem with the kit as being an incorrect wastegate spring. He didn't even make a penny, which is good, cause he's happy with his life and didnt need to make anything. When he was done, I even saw him skipping gleefully down the street, whistling showtunes! :fruit:
Thanks for the morale support and tuning the car Clint. Just like in the grammy's acceptance speeches, I always forget the most important people.:D

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

LMAO Clint, you crazy, man! :)

sc300tt said:

·
Registered
353 Posts

sc300tt said:

Clint have you been on drugs or something lately? For the past few days I've seen this myriad of posts from you with constant use of the :fruit: animation... I've seen you post on here for some two years and most of your posts (AFAIK) weren't as sarcastic and humorous.

Dunno, just kind of sounds like you've started to write posts after taking a dose of mephamphetamine. :arcade:

All in good fun, of course.

-m

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I want some numbers!!

Its always a nice thing to hear someone putting a big turbo on an auto and loving it, makes me wonder about all the arguments against it sometimes :D

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My dyno session is setup for tomorrow, so you guys are gonna get some numbers real soon.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Re: Re: Re: SP70 in an Auto kicks ass!

Marcus Frost said:

Clint have you been on drugs or something lately? For the past few days I've seen this myriad of posts from you with constant use of the :fruit: animation... I've seen you post on here for some two years and most of your posts (AFAIK) weren't as sarcastic and humorous.

Dunno, just kind of sounds like you've started to write posts after taking a dose of mephamphetamine. :arcade:

All in good fun, of course.

-m
I like that happy little fella :fruit: ....I think the G-Forces are getting to me...must build slower cars....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts