Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo 6spd
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know the NGK spark plug model # that equates to an IK27 for the iridiums?

or any other recommendation for plugs besides the iridiums and the ngk 3330's/6097's that work well for 800+rwhp?

·
Banned
1,624 Posts
ya we need some kind of spark plug chart.

I have been to to go 2 heat ranges colder but have no clue where to find out whats colder and etc.

·
Premium Member
4,432 Posts
i know you said besides the NGK3330s...but honestly they have made the most power in my car . So i stick to what works. But check your PM...may have another option for ya.

·
Carma Performance
765 Posts
Silver Bullet said:
i know you said besides the NGK3330s...but honestly they have made the most power in my car . So i stick to what works. But check your PM...may have another option for ya.
At that power level 3330s get destroyed very fast. We moved to a 8 heat range silver electrode plug and the car loved it. We stopped having to change plugs all the time after switching.

Erin

·
Registered
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo 6spd
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Erin Carpenter said:
At that power level 3330s get destroyed very fast. We moved to a 8 heat range silver electrode plug and the car loved it. We stopped having to change plugs all the time after switching.

Erin

which plug is the 8 heat range silver electrode plug you guys used to get good results?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I've been hearing a lot about these... NGK Iridium comes 2 or 3 step colder than stock

·
Oh I think they like me.
714 Posts
I personally use a heat range 8 Irridium and haven't had a problem with the plugs gapped at .23-.24 running 33-37psi

I'm going to switch to the heat range 9 plug for the nitrous and more boost. Probably the irridium but the standard plug is NGK 7405( R5672A-9) heat range 9.

·
Sleeper King
2,235 Posts
Great post. I've been going through 3330's like water, and only get a few trips (if that) to the track before having to swap. I've been buying them in the groves to keep an inventory for myself. I've been trying to find an iridium that will take 30+psi with a .21-.23 gap

Titanium, Eric, thank you for replying with your experience! I'm going to give the NGK Iridium 8's a try. The part number I see is R5672A-8 or (7173) does that look about right?

Chris

·
Carma Performance
765 Posts
I never had great luck with NGK irdiums and leaded gas. Seemed to cause a high rpm missfire. The plugs that we switched to are called BRISK. We went from destroying 3330s in a few passes to putting 15+ dyno pulls and a hand full of passes at the track and having the plugs still look great and run perfect. This was all @30psi from a 76GTS and a 75 shot.

The plugs are amazing. Take my word for it.

The model number for an 8 heat range is DR 12 YS.

http://briskusa.com/products.htm#Silver

Erin

·
Registered
89 Posts
Erin Carpenter said:
I never had great luck with NGK irdiums and leaded gas. Seemed to cause a high rpm missfire. The plugs that we switched to are called BRISK. We went from destroying 3330s in a few passes to putting 15+ dyno pulls and a hand full of passes at the track and having the plugs still look great and run perfect. This was all @30psi from a 76GTS and a 75 shot.

The plugs are amazing. Take my word for it.

The model number for an 8 heat range is DR 12 YS.

http://briskusa.com/products.htm#Silver

Erin
Can you get these plugs locally ? if not where can I go to get a set?

·
keep livin man, L I V I N
818 Posts
Have any of you used their turbo or iridium plugs? From their website you would think one of those would be better than the silvers?

I dunno...

·
Registered
146 Posts
sleeknsilver said:
anyone know the NGK spark plug model # that equates to an IK27 for the iridiums?

or any other recommendation for plugs besides the iridiums and the ngk 3330's/6097's that work well for 800+rwhp?
This is the way I understand it:

Denso 20 == NGK 6
Denso 22 == NGK 7
Denso 24 == NGK 8
Denso 27 == NGK 9

For example, an IK22 would be equivalent to either the BKR7EIX or an Iriway 7 if you want an iridium plug or an NGK BKR7E (4097) in copper.

For your application you'd want either the BKR9EIX or an Iriway 9 (not sure if the Iriways are sold in the U.S.).

As far as recommendations go I think if you do any mild street driving and extended idling you may end up fouling a 9 heat range plug pretty quickly. Maybe try an 8 first and if you don't run into any detonation issues stick with that.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Seeing as you can't (arn't supposed to) gap iriduims because u could damage the electrode.
Copper will melt if something happens ,eating the plug hopefully instead of the engine makes me stay with copper.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
So any updates on the Brisk Plugs other than Erin Carpenter.

I'm going to be buying plugs very soon. So am deciding between the NGK Iridium 8 or the Brisk Silver DR 12 YS?

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have always been using heat 9 Iridium whether NGK Or HKS S45i.

And once i had no plugs to use , so i used a heat 8 NGK Platinum , Believe it or not when i used the NGK 8 Platinum i LOST POWER. i felt a big difference , and when i used them i was afraid to turn the boost up to 30+ PSIs , so i was running max of 1.5 BAR.

Than i received my NGK Iridium heat 9 and put them and noticed a gain in power.

I don't know how people here use NGKs 3330 they are very HOT.

Best plugs ever are Iridiums , that's it.

If you have not used it yet , just try it and i'm sure there well be a gain in power , not just that , you feel even that the turbo is spooling quicker.

Use them just as a test , i'm sure you would love them.

Regards,

P.S : and yes they are expensive. :)

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
T51R SPL BB said:
And they come gapped at 0.30 , and i never re-gap them , never touch the tip.

NGK and HKS say never attempt to gap their Iridium plugs.
exact words i have heard also. i lay down mid/high 600rwhp and only will use the ik24 denso iridium plugs. 30psi+and 720rwhp-800rwhp i would use the ik27's.just my 2 cents :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I am using the IK27(stock gap @ 0.30) and at 30psi with my P74-GTS I get a ever so slight miss. I'm on stock ecu and don't have the Hks DLI. The car runs perfect at 28psi.

I've asking around so I've heard that gapping the NKG3330's to 0.26 should resolve this issue but I don't want to use such a hot plug.

Do you guys suggest I get a DLI or what different plugs with a lower gap?
Thx

·
Inline for the win
4,764 Posts
Taimur said:
I am using the IK27(stock gap @ 0.30) and at 30psi with my P74-GTS I get a ever so slight miss. I'm on stock ecu and don't have the Hks DLI. The car runs perfect at 28psi.

I've asking around so I've heard that gapping the NKG3330's to 0.26 should resolve this issue but I don't want to use such a hot plug.

Do you guys suggest I get a DLI or what different plugs with a lower gap?
Thx
Taimur,

Gapping my 6097's down to .026 definately will make or break going higher than 26 psi. I had this issue the first night in Tx. 4 out of 6 plugs were a .028 and higher. I was stuck without new plugs and regapped them. Car ran awesome all the way to 32 psi when I got home and fixed the boost leak issues.

However, as quikturbo mentioned in this post or another, these plugs don't last very long on 32psi pulls. I am changing mine before I head to the track today.

DP

1 - 20 of 137 Posts