21 - 40 of 137 Posts

·
Kwan Jul Sul Freak
928 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Taimur said:
So any updates on the Brisk Plugs other than Erin Carpenter.

I'm going to be buying plugs very soon. So am deciding between the NGK Iridium 8 or the Brisk Silver DR 12 YS?
Since Erin hasn't seen this, ill try to help.

Im not sure where to get them locally, we picked (I say we, the guy we were with) picked up like 100 of them at TX2K5 from Chuck Anders (owner of HPE, where the dyno was).

If you do a search on Google im sure you will find more info on them. They are made in the Czech Republic, and I think some guy from Houston imports them. I might be wrong.

·
Alpha for president
1,113 Posts
I've been running the DOR12IR's...they seem to lasting a while..I retuned my car on them...with about 30+ pulls on the dyno and 4 trips down the track....after all that i replaced them but car still seemed to being running good with no skipping...I only was able to tune to 24psi at 670whp on a dynopack, but i will be using them for 30-32psi in a week or so....

·
Registered
112 Posts
The plugs to use if you make 800-1200 rwhp are:

NGK # 6239 / R5671A-10

These are a heat rating of 10, and a plug gapping should be used as follows:

DLI/DIS-4 or Tec3R highly recommended/required if you go big boost:

(** C16 and/or Methanol - use the lower number)

up to 25psi: .26-.28
25.1-30psi: .24 - .26
30.1-35psi: .22 - .24
35.1-43.5psi: .18 - .22

I've tested this with 3330's as well, and those work ok, but the main difference it that the 3330's are better for daily driving and the 6239's are better for track/drag/big hp primarily due to the design. 3330's and most other plugs have the electrode and the white ceramic higher than the end of the plug - this I'm told is good for low/medium rpms, but doesn't burn as well at higher psi and higher temps. These 6239's have just the electrode protruding from the "top" of the plug (i.e. you look at the plug from the side, you'll see only the electrode not the white ceramic sleeve)

I've tested different plug gaps on the dyno now for several days, and this setup seems to work the best - I'm running 36-43psi, and I have problems if my plugs are gapped less than .22 (i.e. I don't burn all the fuel).

Hope this helps!

--ron

·
Kwan Jul Sul Freak
928 Posts
A question for those who have experimented with different heat ranges....

Should/will going to a colder plug make my car run richer assuming everything else is unchanged?

I was running NGK Iridiums heat range 7. I am getting more into running my car at the track as well as running higher boost than before while racing. I installed a new set of the same plugs, at a heat range 9 (colder). I think these are the same as IK27's in a Denso, but I could be wrong.

I just drove the car with the same pump gas tune, and I stepped on it and as soon as the boost started to really build (right around 16psi), it seemed to bog and the AF ratio went 10.2:1 or richer. I do not remember this happening with the heat range 7 plugs on pump gas. Am I just not burning all the fuel?

The only other change I made was I changed the gap from a .028 to a .026.

My car has brand new coils, clips, ignitor and HKS DLI installed, so I am assuming lack voltage is out of the question?

Any input would be awesome. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I've got a car running a gt42-76, usually at 25psi, OCCASIONALLY 35 psi (track or big cube ls1 race). I dont mind changing my plugs regualrly (small price to pay) so which would you reccomend for me the irridium 9's?

Sorry if this was a stupid or redundant question :sadance:

·
Diehard 4G63/AWD User
666 Posts
Goldfinger911 said:

Should/will going to a colder plug make my car run richer assuming everything else is unchanged?
No! The only difference is the colder plug will foul more easily.

·
Registered
296 Posts
MissSupra said:
I've got a car running a gt42-76, usually at 25psi, OCCASIONALLY 35 psi (track or big cube ls1 race). I dont mind changing my plugs regualrly (small price to pay) so which would you reccomend for me the irridium 9's?

Sorry if this was a stupid or redundant question :sadance:
Call ben up and get him to sell you some of his Brisk. You will love um.

·
Registered
600 Posts

·
Alpha for president
1,113 Posts
when i changed my plugs...went a step hotter and saw A/F's go from 11.3 to 10.9- 11.0...I went from the Brisk DOR12's back to the good old 6097's...I was getting tired of spending 10+ each

Goldfinger911 said:

I was running NGK Iridiums heat range 7. I am getting more into running my car at the track as well as running higher boost than before while racing. I installed a new set of the same plugs, at a heat range 9 (colder). I think these are the same as IK27's in a Denso, but I could be wrong.

I just drove the car with the same pump gas tune, and I stepped on it and as soon as the boost started to really build (right around 16psi), it seemed to bog and the AF ratio went 10.2:1 or richer. I do not remember this happening with the heat range 7 plugs on pump gas. Am I just not burning all the fuel?

The only other change I made was I changed the gap from a .028 to a .026.

My car has brand new coils, clips, ignitor and HKS DLI installed, so I am assuming lack voltage is out of the question?

Any input would be awesome. Thanks.

·
Registered
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo 6spd
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
anyone know the difference between the NGK 3330's and the 6097's?

i put the 3330's back in with 0.024- 0.025 gap and they run GREAT so far.. with 25-26psi @ 700-750whp

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Wow......some of you guys are running crazy low gaps. You do realize..too small of a gap is just as bad as too big? You want to run the LARGEST gap possible without any problems. Rule of thumb is...if you start having to gap your plugs lower and lower to avoid misfire. Its time to start addressing coilpacks, upgrade to twin power etc etc. Low gap is a HUGE power robber. For reference...i run 30-34 psi on NGK 3330s with .030 gap. And no issues at all. I also have the twin power and new coilpacks. I have dynoed many times over last 5 years and have raced my car more times then you can imagine. So i am pushing it quite a bit and have tried many things. And have seen the power differnces on dyno and trap speed difference at track. And what i suggested is the best for my car. So to just throw in plugs and gap them low is stupid. Only lower gap until you have no problems and leave it alone. And most of the "million dollar plugs" are a big waste of money.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i'm currently running a phr stage 2+ 67 kit
3in dnpipe mdpipe, superdragger exhast
full fuel system twin pumps, fpr, rail, 720cc inj
currently running Heat range 7 (2667) for BPU+ cars, iridiums

I'm currently running 15 lbs lo boost haven't attempted to turn it up yet
i'm going to attempt to turn up the boost on race fuel i want to run 25 to 30 lbs thinking of switching to Heat range 8 would that be best decision? will i be making more power or will i be robbing my car?

·
Banned
5,062 Posts
I've had the best of luck with the 6097s being apu and 3330r when I was bpu!

I tried a high dollar plug and just found it to make the car run worse.....

Back to the $10 for set plugs for me! 6097s here I come!

And just like Tony said, I had no problem running a .030-.033 gap on the 6097/3330r.

6097 @ Advance Auto Parts: http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=NGK&mfrpartnumber=6097

3330r @ Advance Auto Parts: http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=NGK&mfrpartnumber=3330

137 Posts
vntperformance said:
I've had the best of luck with the 6097s being apu and 3330r when I was bpu!

I tried a high dollar plug and just found it to make the car run worse.....

Back to the $10 for set plugs for me! 6097s here I come!

And just like Tony said, I had no problem running a .030-.033 gap on the 6097/3330r.

6097 @ Advance Auto Parts: http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=NGK&mfrpartnumber=6097

3330r @ Advance Auto Parts: http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=NGK&mfrpartnumber=3330
Many thanks for the info.

·
that twin 2jz guy
2,595 Posts
i have always good luck with 6097s but never with 3330... but jus to try something different, i went with ngk 6988s.. iridiums.. anybody else have any good luck with these plugs or should i jus dump em while i have the chance.. any specific gaps

21 - 40 of 137 Posts