Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Wingless FTW
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cliffs: While driving last night, one of my spark plugs was forcibly ejected from my DD's engine, creating a lot of noise, and rendering my car nearly undrivable (I still got that bitch home :bigthumb: ).

So this happened to me last night in my '94 Honda Civic DD Piece of Shit. I'm driving home from work last night, and all of the sudden I hear a loud pop, and then it sounds like the underside of my hood is being jackhammered.

So I immediately pull over, turn the car off, and then pop the hood to take a look. I was initially thinking that I must have broken a belt that was thumping on the hood while being rotated by a pulley, but upon inspection, I could find nothing visually wrong with my engine at all.

I decided that I would start the car again, and then take a look at the engine with it running. I started the car, and immediately my engine makes some very loud popping noises. I walked to the front to take a look, and one of the spark plug caps is literally jumping up and down in the cylinder like a pneumatic jackhammer, held into place only by the spark wires being clipped down.

I took the spark plug out & the threads on it were toast, all bent down at angles. I can't tell by looking if the threads inside the engine block are fucked up as well. Has anyone ever heard of this? I have no idea why the hell the plug would've blown out of the top of the engine.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Yeah, that's a new one on me. The only thing I can think of is when the plug was placed in, it became cross-threaded and killed the integrity of the plugs threads.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Only way this can happen is someone previously stripped the head when changing the plug and the plug was barely held in place by some loose cross thread eventually pressure worked it out.

·
Bored User
336 Posts
I know the Expeditions and F-150s in the early 2000's had those issues of actually blowing the entire land area out that the spark plug goes in, thus needing a new cylinder head. It happened to me as I was driving my mother's Expedition and it sounded pretty intense. lol

·
Custom User Title
974 Posts
It happens a fair amount when people overtorque their spark plugs -- especially on aluminum heads.

If its a cheap DD -- you can probably get away with helicoiling the spark plug hole with the head on the car (then vacuuming the cylinder through the plug hole). If it was a nicer engine, you'd want to pull the head and make damn sure you didnt leave any shavings behind.

·
Wingless FTW
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm taking the car to a mechanic this weekend. If it's an expensive fix, I'll just go ahead and buy a new DD. I bought this car 4 years ago for $2,500 cash. I've never touched the spark plugs, so I can't say who had their hands on them and what they did to them.

It definitely scared the shit out of me though. I was in one of those driving comas where I was completely relaxed and immersed in the radio when it happened. That shit was loud & unexpected.

·
I need a 6 speed
324 Posts
Happened to me a few years ago in a company car. It was a crazy coincidence when it happened timing wise because it blew out just as I was driving off a small curb, and I thought I ripped the exhaust off!:lol: Ended up taking it to the dealer who just helicoiled it, and charged like $1500 claiming they actually removed the head:rolleyes:

·
Custom User Title
974 Posts
yeah, in highschool it happened to my friend in his nissan 200sx -- the plug shot out with enough force to put a little ding in the hood. We helicoiled it and it ran fine for another 150,000miles

·
4,109 Posts
Happened to me in my old Jetta GLI. They retapped the socket and I was good to go. Didn't cost too much IIRC

·
!black
4,625 Posts
Happened on one of my GN's once. The previous owner didn't actually torque the plug down - car started running rough as hell on the highway them BAM, total loss of power. Pulled over, it was just laying there with a plug wire attached :wtf:

Had to wait for the cooldown a bit, no real tools on me :/

·
Registered
409 Posts
I know the Expeditions and F-150s in the early 2000's had those issues of actually blowing the entire land area out that the spark plug goes in, thus needing a new cylinder head. It happened to me as I was driving my mother's Expedition and it sounded pretty intense. lol
Yep, it's true. My DD is a 2003 F-150 with the 4.6 and that's for sure an issue with those trucks (thankfully one that I was aware of from the start). I had my plugs done recently at 90,000km with no signs of loosening, but it's happening because for some reason Ford designed 4 threads per spark plug and only went to 8 thread heads once they realized the problem. Both the 5.4L and 4.6L in the 2-valve versions 97-03 were affected. The 04 and ups have their own unique spark plug issues on the 5.4.

That being said, I'm not sure about Hondas, but with the Fords the Helicoils don't seem to last very long, they're almost a temporary fix. They always end up letting go. From what I know, something called a Time Sert is the way to go. Look it up and see what it's all about. I do know it's more expensive than the Helicoils though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts