Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Noise ≠ Power...
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so me an a friend set to the task of swapping out my spark plugs today. Problem is, when we got inside the engine there, we found that 3 of the screws holding in the capacators are tryin to strip. We did our best to keep the screws intact, and ended up giving up as a result of it! So now I'm stuck with only 3 plugs changed. Any opinions/suggestions on gettin those three others out?

·
Banned
291 Posts
buy some Loctite (sp) and lightly coat the inside of the socket with it and then put the socket onto the spark plug and hold it there for a min. or 2 and then try to loosen it up.

·
Registered
967 Posts
^I agree, as well as having a PERFECTLY fitting blade. I was able to do mine w/o the loctite just because I had a screwdriver with a blade that fit so well.

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
remove the screws - just get them out (loctite in socket :wtf: ?) then buy the correct helicoil and repair the threads and replace the screws.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Can you just undo the two bolt that hold two coil to the head, And take off two coil at a time?

·
2jz powered
1,688 Posts
ardmore said:
Can you just undo the two bolt that hold two coil to the head, And take off two coil at a time?
Yes you can and is what i would suggest doing. It sounds like the thread starter is trying to unscrew each coil as oppose to taking the 2 10mm bolts out and pulling them out in pairs.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
ChizWizz47 said:
Ok, so me an a friend set to the task of swapping out my spark plugs today. Problem is, when we got inside the engine there, we found that 3 of the screws holding in the capacators are tryin to strip. We did our best to keep the screws intact, and ended up giving up as a result of it! So now I'm stuck with only 3 plugs changed. Any opinions/suggestions on gettin those three others out?
Remove the two 10mm bolts on the coil packs instead of unscrewing the philips head. That way you can remove the coil packs in doubles rather than individually. It should take no more than 30 min if you do it this way. I also always like to put alittle anti-seize on the spark plug threads too.

·
Very Senior Member
10,067 Posts
Alex D said:
Remove the two 10mm bolts on the coil packs instead of unscrewing the philips head. That way you can remove the coil packs in doubles rather than individually. It should take no more than 30 min if you do it this way. I also always like to put alittle anti-seize on the spark plug threads too.
Ditto - this is the way to do it!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Alex D said:
wow!! alex had a good idea!! but yea pretty much i agree with everything he said

1 - 9 of 9 Posts