Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace my spark plugs, and would like to go with the NGK 6097s. I just don't know what heat rang I should go with, and also the part number for the plugs. The specs on the car are= 93 Supra, BPUed pluse a FMIC, 6 spd. boost no more than 18 PSI.

Thank you :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Just give the guys at the store that stock # 6097. That only equates to one specific kind of NGK sparkplug set at a specific gap. I don't know the heat range or the gap, but it doesn't really matter either since you already know that's the stock # you want. :) I am assuming you had them recommended to you. I have also heard some guys like those. I use the 1095's which i gap myself down to .035 on my BPU car. They are BCPR7ES-11. They are the same plug as the 3330 (gap at .031 i think) but simply come in a different gap (1095's come at about .040 i think). The 1095's work great, so if you can't get 6097's go with those.

·
In The Sonoran Desert
437 Posts
Check the gap! The six 3330's I bought ranged from 0.030" to 0.036". Start with 0.032" and see how she runs. Not missing at high end? regap next set at 0.034". You should see your idle improve. That is my plan anyways. Find the best balance for my car so it doesn't miss up top and idle as smoothly as possible.

I beleive these are the two main issues. Anyone have any other input?

Eric

·
Supra Huntin
39 Posts
yea i just changed my plugs after a boost line came loose and i hit 1.95 bar of boost on my stock twins!!!

car felt like crap until i changed the plugs to ngk 3330's

i did not check the gap tho.. prolly should have.

im not sure if i would put plugs in that were gapped at .040 and things.

T

·
0 Posts
SinfulMKIV said:
yea i just changed my plugs after a boost line came loose and i hit 1.95 bar of boost on my stock twins!!!

car felt like crap until i changed the plugs to ngk 3330's

i did not check the gap tho.. prolly should have.

im not sure if i would put plugs in that were gapped at .040 and things.
Not to sound ignorant(cause I dont know :) )but why would overboosting cause your plugs to foul? Also, could high octane race gas foul your plugs?

Joe

S

·
0 Posts
The NGK 3330's I've found work the best.. I've tried all the plugs and they seem to hold up the longest. No miss fires on the top end. Gap .031

A

·
0 Posts
I've used both the 3330's as well as the 6097's. I personally thought that the 6097's felt smoother throughout the powerband (I'm at BPU). Mohd from the mkiv.com list explained why to me one day, but I can't remember the specifics. The gist of the argument was that the 6097's more closely resembled the stock setup as compared to the 3330's, with the exception being with the heat ranges I think.

It doesn't take that long to switch the plugs out. They are under $2 each, so you could feasibly buy a set of each for under $24 total (12 plugs)! I'm guessing that some will have luck with the 3330's, and others will have better luck with the 6097's...

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have to agree with achilles,here in trying them out both. BTW few days ago ,i went BPU myself and went thru the same confussion,3330 VS 6097 and as usual Steve Jarvis came to my rescue. He always uses 6097 even on the track and that's what i went with and so far i'm very happy & also idle is smooth as silk as compared to 3330 ( quite a few people have complained about that)
Regards. Yasir

M

·
0 Posts
The idle issue might be with the difference in the gap between the two. Anyone try both at the same gap?

And what about those Iridiums? Any good? Way pricey, though.

·
Registered
482 Posts
People that i have spoke to had to regap their plugs few times so why not just go with 6097's that come pre-gap and have no idling issues. Just my opinion ;) Yeah next time i'll try iridiums as u don;t have to change them as often. Jeff at Jay marks toyota uses them all the time
Regards. Yasir

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
I've used both, and prefer the 6097 to the 3330. The 3330 has a noticeably worse idle, without any advantage in power that I could notice.

I made 425.4 rwhp using 6097's at .034, straight BPU.

A

·
0 Posts
Yeah, that's a good point with gapping issue between the 6097's and the 3330's. When I gapped the 3330's, you could see a noticeable "bend" at the tip (can't remember what that tip is called). Anyhow, the usual 90 degree angle became a little less. I'm sure that somehow takes away from performance?

BTW, check the gaps on the 6097's anyhow (even though you PROBABLY won't have any problems). I had a friend who was stuck with a plug that appeared to have been dropped, and made gap slightly smaller.

Again, if possible, try out both. If I have to go with one, I'd stick with the 6097's. The rough idle made my car sound untuned, which was embarrasing at stop lights :)

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Okay the idel sucks on the 3330's but the 6097's what's the idle like on those? Is it as well as stock? If not I am going all out iridum or however you spell it

S

·
0 Posts
3330s suck

Ever since I put those crappy 3330 plugs in my 97tt it idled like total shit. Every 4-5 seconds the car would bump/miss pretty bad.

Just last night I put the 6097s in and MAN what a difference in idling. I was running the same gap on both (.031").

The 6097s are perfectly smooth.

Greg

A

·
0 Posts
I agree, the 6097's run as smooth at idle as a stock setup. Like I mentioned before, it's almost the same as the stock setup with the exception of heat ranges, I think.

The 3330's definitely had a rougher sound to them. But, I've heard some people like them (although I have yet to hear anyone say they prefer them after trying out the 6097's :) )

·
STREET STOMPING JEDI
1,039 Posts
3330's less likely to detonate?

From everything I have read and my personal experience with the 3330's as well the heat range makes them a bit safer as opposed to the others. (brain fart and forgot the plug #) IT is rumored that the other is more likely to aid in detonation as it does not cool as quickly and thus can leave a hot spot, perhaps nto that big an issue with a bpu supra but on Nitrous however infrequent is another story. better safe then sorry regardless of the slight miss that dfrives me crazy too at idle.

Obiwan......

·
Registered
39 Posts
Where can I get the NGK 6097's. I have called 3 different places and no one sells them. I called one place to order them and he could not even find the part number. Where did you guys buy your plugs from? Thanks.

Will C.

B

·
0 Posts
You can get them from Monarch (888) 800-9629 or http://www.monarchproductsinc.com/

Even with shipping it'll probably be cheaper than a local speed shop. The cheapest could be from a local chain autoparts store, but they often don't have them or don't know what NGK 3330 & 6097 mean!

Bill

1 - 20 of 30 Posts