Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it sounds like my stock speakers are finally dying on my 97 RZ-S (JDM). Can anyone confirm what size the front and rear speakers are?

I've come across some sites that stated that the fronts are 4 inch and other sites stating that they're 5 inch...

Most sites state that the rear are 6 inch..

·
From the land down under
4,536 Posts
The front speakers are a 4" cone, BUT, they arent mounted with the traditional 4 screw locations, instead they have 3 mounting points, so you will need to make a thin custom wood spacer in order to mount them into the factory speaker enclosure.

In my 1996.8 JDM SZ, the rears were 6.5" cones for both the basic metal bracket mount, or the premium sound system enclosure., but I guess that its possible a 6" cone "may" fit too.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The fronts, I went with a bracket from Supra Store to fit 6.5 inch. If I were to do it again, I would find some speakers that fit the oem speaker box. Think factory is 4 inch, but like Mr Ree said, there's an issue with the mounting points. Rears are 6.5. My speakers were completely separated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There is a guy in the UK - TB Developments who sells an adapter kit for the stock speaker boxes and a Bung for the box to affect the bass. They utilise 10cm speakers but in my opinion they produce a better sound due to being ina sealed box and not open like with the wooden adapter.

·
From the land down under
4,536 Posts
There is a guy in the UK - TB Developments who sells an adapter kit for the stock speaker boxes and a Bung for the box to affect the bass. They utilise 10cm speakers but in my opinion they produce a better sound due to being ina sealed box and not open like with the wooden adapter.
This is interesting info Matt.

I would love some adapters as both of my OEM front speakers have cracking voice coils when theyre being fed music with decent bass, and the foam probably isnt as good as it once was. The only thing stopping me is the fact I dont have any decent wood working tools, and I didnt want to do the job half arsed

Do you know if he sells internationally?

Cheers :)

Edit: I looked on his site but couldnt find the parts anywhere. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
831 Posts
TB Developments adapter plates

I've also heard these are good (better than MDF board)

·
(Rare & Unique)
3,891 Posts
Most, including myself, have converted to 6.5" front and rear which are abundant. The rears house them fine but the fronts will need the conversion bracket which is relatively cheap and can be found in PVC or MDF material. Just be mindful of a super deep length magnet or larger in size diameter one for fitting the fronts. I recall a very long time ago that there were a set of Kenwoods that fit the front location fine as a drop in.

I had replaced mine with a set of Alpine's coaxials all around. No components for ease of install as I prefer the turbo whine :)

·
From the land down under
4,536 Posts
For the front speakers, there's also this... if you know someone handy with a 3D printer they could custom make something for you.

View attachment 259752
They are for the rear premium speaker enclosures, but that is exactly what I would do if the same option existed for the fronts, as a 6.5" cone is always going to sound better than a 4" cone, all other things being equal.

I had to use a dremel on my rear boxes to trim them in a couple of areas in order to fit my 6.5" blaupunkts co-axials but they had a slightly larger frame than most other 6.5" cones

·
From the land down under
4,536 Posts
TB Developments adapter plates

I've also heard these are good (better than MDF board)
Thanks for the link mate :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
That is a very clean install kit for the front speakers. I still have all my original front boxes. But had to remove the speaker grills for my 6.5 upgrades. My back 6.5 kickers fit without any modifications to the Box.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
They are for the rear premium speaker enclosures, but that is exactly what I would do if the same option existed for the fronts, as a 6.5" cone is always going to sound better than a 4" cone, all other things being equal.

I had to use a dremel on my rear boxes to trim them in a couple of areas in order to fit my 6.5" blaupunkts co-axials but they had a slightly larger frame than most other 6.5" cones
Whoops, meant to post this one.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Thanks for the link mate :)
I can vouch for Tim @TB Developments. His work is outstanding.

Following this thread. My speakers need to be replaced as well. Still in doubt keeping the stock speakers sizes or the 6.5".

Casper

·
Registered
2011 Honda Fit, 1995 Toyota Supra SE
7 Posts
My front speakers are blown. I'm following this thread, thanks to all the people posting helpful info.

·
From the land down under
4,536 Posts
I can vouch for Tim @TB Developments. His work is outstanding.

Following this thread. My speakers need to be replaced as well. Still in doubt keeping the stock speakers sizes or the 6.5".

Casper
Good to hear :)

Have you measured the gap between the further most point of the speaker, compared to the back side of the door card? If there is a decent amount of space, you could engineer a spacer ring to convert to a slightly bigger cone, but a 6.5 would be tough I think.

Given the car already has the factory tweeters in the dash, I havent decide whether to install some components, or just use co-axials

·
Registered
831 Posts
Keep in mind that the factory tweeters are probably trashed by now. Age sets in, the surrounds get brittle and fall apart. Unfortunately, replacing them is DASH-OUT process as far as I know.

·
From the land down under
4,536 Posts
Mine still seem to sound fully functional, and Im hoping that as my car has been garaged 90% of its life, and as I always use a sun shade when I park it in the sun, they should be ok.

They are very subtle though, compared to aftermarket tweeters but I think that is more a function of their location, than their output.

Does anybody know where their inline LPF is mounted? As If I decide to go with aftermarket components for the front doors, the factory tweeters will need to be made redundant, but I have never looked into the wiring and cross over location.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts