Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Search
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this is posted somewhere, I could not find it. I have heard that the rear speakers in an 89 NA are 4's, but i've also heard that they are 5.25's.... Does anyone know what they are for sure? I'm going to p ull them out soon, but i'd like to know so i can get the speakers i want on order....

_ Justin

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
They are 4", but with a little dremel action, you can make a 5.25 fit in the far rear. IIRC, you cant fit bigger speakers in the center set.

J

·
0 Posts
4" in the doors.

You can use a baffle plate to get 5.25" or 6.5" in. Personally, I went with a good set of 4s, and put 6.5" speakers in a different way.

3.5" "sub-speakers" -- kinda like tweeters in the rear shoulder rests. (sub-speaker should not in any way shape or form be confused with subwoofer.)

4.5" rear speakers. These are kind of an oddball size, and hard to get in aftermarket. I know that a couple of manufacturers do make them (polk, for one) but in general 4" fits. With some careful dremmel application, 5.25 is perfectly doable in the back. I chose to eliminate these speakers entirely.

J

·
0 Posts
In the factory location? You need to:

a) Buy a set of the speaker mounts from a 1991 or 1992. They have 6.5" speakers from the factory. To be complete, you should also get the door panels, but that's not strictly speaking necessary.

b) Make a baffle plate that replaces the factory enclosure. I don't like that as a solution, but it's quick, easy, and cheap, if only in the short term (Your speakers will take a beating from the elements, and you'll have to replace them relatively soon

c) Make an enclosure for them in either the factory location, or a differnt location. I removed the door map pockets, and built something there, but the same basic principle could be used in the factory location.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts