Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Dissident
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I scored a set of 91+ front speaker boxes, so I need some speakers now. I'm not an audiophile, I don't want amps or subs, I just want decent sound. I currently have a Kenwood 50x4 head, Cheap Kenwood 4" in the front and Rockford 5 1/4 in rear.

Compared to stock, I thought the Kenwoods sounded great. Compared to the Kenwoods, I thought the Rockfords sounded awesome. What do you suggest I do for a set of 6.5" fronts?

Thanks

·
Registered
249 Posts
actually the stock 91' speakers are very good. i have mb quarts on my 91' they have separte tweeters and everything, but the 91 should have separate also. if you can get them cheap its well worth it. i've changed mine i didnt notice i huge difference between the 300-350 mb quart front speakers and the stock toyota speakers. also if you dont want to use amps, the nakamitchis are pretty good too. high sensitivity and low noise. great for someone who doesnt need amps. i dont suggest the mb quarts if you are not going to install them with amps

·
Registered
432 Posts
I use Kenwood and Rockfords only.

·
Search
3,303 Posts
I have crossfire speakers, but they're a bit spendy... infinity reference series are really really good for the money... they're about 100 bucks

if you're looking at spending a bit more than that, Focals bottom of the line are awesome for what you pay

·
SP74HO
1,143 Posts
Not to jack your thread! But i am in the market for some speakers. The stock speaker box's suck! Has anyone built or fabbed up something for the speakers to fit in, if so, can i get a picture for some ideas?

BTW i have a 92.

·
slowest restoration ever
626 Posts
fstoy said:
Not to jack your thread! But i am in the market for some speakers. The stock speaker box's suck! Has anyone built or fabbed up something for the speakers to fit in, if so, can i get a picture for some ideas?

BTW i have a 92.
Later this summer (hopefully) I'll be making a system for my car, and plan on doing fiberglass enclosures inside the doors, with a write-up. A useful trick for molding fiberglass enclosures is to mask off the surface it will be against with foil and tape. Apply the fiberglass to that and peel the whole thing off when its done, then clean up the fiberglass.
For the remaining portion, you can measure things out, build an enclosure with cardboard and glue to provide a skeleton, and then just coat the thing in fiberglass to make it solid. (the cardboard will help dampen the inside of the enclosure as well.) There might be better methods but that's my approach.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Focal or Rainbow ;) Best of the best cost is no object ;)

MBquart are great save for the metal dome. Must use a eq to tune down the sizzle.

·
Registered
583 Posts
im going with some bostons, my friends had some in his jetta and i must say they sounded sick, along with his eclipse deck of course :)

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
All the brands listed above are nice. I'm partial to JL audio, or if you're local to my area, AVI is a local company that makes a very nice product with good support.

·
Registered
249 Posts
my system cost me around 1500, mb quarts all around no distortion at all even if i blast it. , ppi 5 channel class D amp, and nakamitchi subs. the nakamitchi subs are great for the money, if you like clean bass instead of thumping bass. infinity's speakers arent bad also. but if you arent going with an amp just get regular speakers, having separates are not good if you arent gonna power them. make sure when you get a head unit, get one with 3 preouts. that way you can add a sub later on and have full control of front, rear and sub speakers separately.

·
Registered
249 Posts
i renewed my system not long ago, but heres some sites to go to for cheap audio equipment.
www.thezeb.com <----- they take forever to ship out
www.audioheaven.com <------ super cheap prices but i think they went down a while ago. not sure if its the same place anymore
but still the best prices i believe is ebay
Louis

·
greasemonkey
3,138 Posts
mbquart component sets are cheap on ebay. clean sound, handle power well, and last.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I got mb quartz all the way around with alpine deck, sub, and amp. Back when I didn't have the sub, me and a buddy of mine compared my mb quartz to his JL's. I know there's lots of variables that affect sound...like what kind of deck, tuning, etc....but mb quartz sound amazing. They handle high volumes very well and as somebody ^^ there said...they last. Although, unless you have a deck that can put out high power...you may need an amp.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts