Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
In The Sonoran Desert
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I heard some rattling from the driver's door and sure enough, the midrange(?) speaker there was completely shot. I am looking to replace it and possibly the other speakers. At the moment, I am not looking to replace the factory amp.
I am somewhat guessing that the door speakers are 4" midranges, the tweeters are well, tweeters and in the back are full-range 6.5"

I have a pair of pioneer speakers I intend to put in the back. They are pretty good (bass is kinda lacking, esp with only 45W max pioneer cd deck) My primary question is what midranges do I want? Does anyone have the specs on the factory amp/factory 3way stereo? I assume the crossovers are built into the amp. Is that correct? I am willing to spend anywhere from 100 to 200 for a pair of 4" or possibly 5.25" (I can do a little modding) midrange or full-range but I would like to make sure they work/sound good with the factory amp.

Thanks for any advice.

Eric
95TT BPU++

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I was able to fit 6.5" separates in front and 6.5" full range in the back (all stock locations). I don't know if it's a good idea or not (even though the sound still is waaaaaay better then with stocks) but what I did was took out the module that was holding the stock fron speakers and screw the 6.5" separates to the door. Looks great! Put the tweets in the kick panels. By the way they were cheap Boston separates (~$220/pair) but I have to admit they sound great (even better than some of the more expansive ones I have listened to).

·
Poser Extraordinaire
350 Posts
I think the stock Amp is something weak ass like 25 x 4 for the speakers and 50w for the sub.

I don't know how good of an idea it is to spend big money on nice speakers and hook them up to the factory amp or a stock headunit power source. Look at the size of the stock wires, tiny, they couldn't transmit much power if they wanted.

IMHO i would just save up a little more and get at least a 4 x 40w RMS amp with a seperate amp or a 5th channel for a Sub, you can remove the stock subwoofer and use a bazooka style tube.

either do that or just replace the blown front midranges with something ok and forget about it.

Ask Thomas Kenyon about his opinion

Ting

·
Registered
639 Posts
I had considered doing the same thing at one time, BUT instead decided to upgrade in 'steps'.

I found the Alpine Flex5 5 channel amp to work great as a factory replacement and plenty of power for upgraded speakers as well as perfect mounting and interfacing under passenger seat just as factory amp. Also Alpine amp offered used adjustable HI/LO pass and adjustable 5th ch sub output gain and xover point from 50Hz-120Hz. The model number is a MRP-F356 I think and it sells for around $180-$200 and will do a GREAT job to push factory speakers or slightly upgraded AND a sub of some kind like a shoebox enclosure in hatch or Bazooka tube. The amp is rated at 50WX4 and 180W on sub ch. I believe this is MAX ratings, but sounded GREAT and is MUCH better way to go than to try to interface to factory amp.. Alpine amp alos has line level inputs and well as dual RCAs.. Had great experience with this amp, BUT sold it a few months ago to 'step' up..

I (well, installer) upgraded my factory speakers as well to 6.5" in door and rear and tweets in dash locations (all Xtant)... Sounds phenomenal!! Also using 2 Kicker C10's and Xtant 603X now... :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts