Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i noticed the other day that my car looks liek it has 6 speaker grills, but i didnt think there were 6 speakers, i thought there were only 4, does anyone else have this, and whats up with it?

also, how big are the rear speakers? i want to put in a new stereo, but i dont want to use the rear speakers, i want better ones, what will fit?

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
Yea. Well, technically 10 IIRC, but i count the tweeter/speaker as one unit. There should be 3 sets of speakers; in the doors, one near the rear seats and one more in the hatch area. Thay are a pain to get too however, you will have to remove the interior trim to get to them.

·
b00st junkie
433 Posts
I also heard that 91 and 92 were the only years that the supra came with a 10 speaker system. What is IIRC? I've got 6 in my 90, but I think 3 of the actually work :p

·
Tampa Bay Supras
707 Posts
I am just upgrading my stereo now. I have an 87 Turbo. I actually put my rear speakers in tonight. I thought they were 5-1/4" at first, but I did in fact need to dremel away a bit to fit them in. It's not hard at all though, just have to grind away a bit. I also had to cut a little on top and bottom of the speaker hole in the front door speaker boxes to fit my new front speakers in.

I bought Infinity KAPPA series 4" and 5.25" 2-way speakers (42.5i and 52.5i models). I also got a Pioneer Premier head unit, model DEH-P840MP.

What I don't have yet, but plan on putting is a Clarion EQ and Clarion center channel speakers (both 1/4 DIN). Also, Infinity BassLink self-powered subs, not sure on 1 or 2 yet... and might get my friend's interior trim and the extra speaker brackets that the 89+ had to add 2 speakers. and also putting a maybe 320W amp for the speakers.

·
Tampa Bay Supras
707 Posts
Forgot to mention.... You pretty much have to pull out all the interior trim to get to you rear speakers as you have to take your door panels off to get to the front ones... My advice would be to remove the speaker boxes completely, you have to remove a wire that's clipped to it. That way you can bring your speaker box inside and solder your speaker wires to it, much better than crimping wires and such; and easier to work on it inside compared to in the hatch, LOL

Also, I got my speakers from http://www.ikesound.com , all 4 Infinity Kappas came to about $160 shipped and that was including taxes because they're instate (Miami) for me(Tampa). Kappas are the best I've ever had and I probably won't buy anything else until proven wrong and at $40 a speaker, can't beat it ;)

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
dont the 90 and above have 6.5's in the front?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the hatch area are 5in and the rear seat head rest area are 3.5in. In the 89 and older cars the front door speakers are 4in. In the later years they are bigger.

Eric

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have MB Quart 6.5 inch components i am gonna try to put up front, and i have a set of MB Quart 5x7s, but i dont think they will fit, but i will try it

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hey guys I have a 89t and I have 2 tweeter up front on the door and 2 4" speakers on door as well. then in the rear I have 2 4" rear and 2 4" behind them next to the top of the seat .......Is that stock or what the hell ..........

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i thought i had tweeters also but they are vents in the door for the speaker box. If your talking about the rectangle with fabric and a hole over it. In the eariler cars it has small holes in the same shape there.

Eric

·
JE, AEM, OS Giken'd 7M
320 Posts
You may also be talking about the port for the vented "bass box." Toyota got smart, and included a plastic box in the door so that the measly 4" speakers we were given sounded louder/deeper/more powerful than they really were. There's a small hole, used for Air porting on the bottom of that box... that's all it is, not a tweeter. Though, it's rather hard to mistake a simple hole for a small tweeter.

Also, Tweeters due to their frequency range are very suceptible to bad staging. I.E. Where as subwoofers are a "mount anywhere" speaker, tweeters are the exact opposite. They usually need to be aimed straight at the sound staging area for optimal results.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Yes Toyota included that plastic box for the 4's up front, but that is the biggest POS I have ever seen in a stereo setup. That's the first thing that went from mine when the stereo went in. I have built wood panels up against the door to house my 5 1/4" Pioneer premiers and the tweeters are mounted in the door panels just above the speaker grilles.

My 88 had 4" in the back as well. I know someone up in this thread said they are 5" but mine aren't. No way a 5" would fit in there. Someone else also said you have to take out the plastic interior to do the rear speakers and that is also incorrect. I've done my 88, two 89's, a 90, and a 91 rear speakers and they were all done by just removing the grille. But again I only put 4" in there so maybe if you go bigger you have to remove the panels. I also built panels on the 91 to house 6.5" up front too.

·
JE, AEM, OS Giken'd 7M
320 Posts
That's odd. Maybe the 5 1/4" fit back there with just some dremeling, but that's what I've got back there... I've seen 6x9's stuffed back there as well. INSANE, but it was done. Though, I recall it being a PITA to do those rear speakers, I remember it was a pain because of stock screw locations... not speaker size.
[sidenote: according to all the sources I can find online, the fronts were supposed to be 4" and the rears a now non-existant 5"....for 1988's that is]

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.