Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
No boost? No V8? No care!
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm new still new to this actually haveing power b/c my last two cars didn't even break 200hp..lol So need some knowledge.

I burnt the shit out of the clutch yesterday so I need a new. From my searching it seems the Spec stage II is prefered for all around use. And has a nice torque rateing.

Well right now I am stock, but intend on ungradeing stuff after I pay off my CC. So my question would it better to get the stage I since it could take me a while to get to my power goals?

Thanks! ~JOE
 

·
2005 LP640
Joined
·
930 Posts
KMK said:
Ok I'm new still new to this actually haveing power b/c my last two cars didn't even break 200hp..lol So need some knowledge.

I burnt the shit out of the clutch yesterday so I need a new. From my searching it seems the Spec stage II is prefered for all around use. And has a nice torque rateing.

Well right now I am stock, but intend on ungradeing stuff after I pay off my CC. So my question would it better to get the stage I since it could take me a while to get to my power goals?

Thanks! ~JOE
Might as well. Get the clutch you need with your realistic future power goals. I've got a Spec Stage 3 myself and it's nice :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
Agreed. Stage 2 is only a little more than Stage 1, holds a very respectable amount of power, has a stock feel and will last 3x longer than most other clutches since the disc is kevlar. Just remember to break it in a little longer than most (750-1000 miles as opposed to a normal 300-500 mile breakin). Do a search for more info on breakins, its been covered alot.
 

·
HKS T51R
Joined
·
2,732 Posts
lol there was a post recently regardging breaking in clutches, some dont think you do but some do, i still think you should, but i dont think anyone really dumps the clutch all the time or tries going up hills in 5th gear lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
945 Posts
Since we are on the subject of clutch breakin....is it "bad" per say, to break in a clutch on a 450 mile highway trip? It had around 75-100 city before we brought the car back from NC and it has been mainly city driven since. Its a Centerforce Dual Friction in my Wifes Prelude VTEC.
 

·
HKS T51R
Joined
·
2,732 Posts
well, i think its fine as long as you dont dump the clutch at the redline, and do some high rpm launches, or as i said before trying to get up hills in 5th gear lol just dont drive it very hard
 

·
No boost? No V8? No care!
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright I guess it is settled then. From the looks of it jscspeed.com is the best price.

Anyone bought from them? Legit?

~Joe
 

·
Boost Addict
Joined
·
622 Posts
as far as the break-in goes, the paper that came with my SPEC 3, said to do a combination of city/hwy driving, no full accelerations, etc., for 450-500 miles or so, or - and this was the important part, I think - the warranty on the clutch would be void.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,727 Posts
bought my spec stage 3 from them. just got it put in today to. so far 100 miles on the break in! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,907 Posts
freeway miles do little for break-in, you need to gently slip the clutch to break it in (like normal city driving). I broke in my spec stage 2 by doing the following:

Drove like a grandma mostly in-town for 500 miles.

Started doing full-throttle runs after 500 miles, but no hard shifts until 1000 miles.



Works great now, although it does chatter a tiny amount when it's cold out and I'm using reverse...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
ma71supraturbo said:
freeway miles do little for break-in, you need to gently slip the clutch to break it in (like normal city driving). I broke in my spec stage 2 by doing the following:

Drove like a grandma mostly in-town for 500 miles.

Started doing full-throttle runs after 500 miles, but no hard shifts until 1000 miles.



Works great now, although it does chatter a tiny amount when it's cold out and I'm using reverse...
Exactly the method I used! Mine never chattered though... Did you get your flywheel machined? Its important that you do..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
Supra87T said:
Since we are on the subject of clutch breakin....is it "bad" per say, to break in a clutch on a 450 mile highway trip? It had around 75-100 city before we brought the car back from NC and it has been mainly city driven since. Its a Centerforce Dual Friction in my Wifes Prelude VTEC.
Highway driving isn't very good for clutch breakin simply because once the clutch is engaged, its just sitting there while you drive. The breaking in happens during engagement points where friction occurs so it can create a mating surface.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
945 Posts
very cool. My wife drove it home and I told her to shift from 4th to 5th as often as possible / necessary. I only did 1-2 wot pulls and spun the tires once then gave her the car back.

SORRY FOR THE HIJACK!!!

this has been bugging me like crazy for months.
 

·
Unnaturally Aspirated
Joined
·
330 Posts
What are your goals for the car. That is very important when trying to decide what clutch to buy. Each clutch will have its own specific break-in procedure; if you are unsure of what to do but know what clutch it is, you can call the manufacturer. Personally I chose the Spec 3 because of the slightly stiffer pedal and stronger engagment.
 

·
No boost? No V8? No care!
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Disco Stu said:
What are your goals for the car. That is very important when trying to decide what clutch to buy. Each clutch will have its own specific break-in procedure; if you are unsure of what to do but know what clutch it is, you can call the manufacturer. Personally I chose the Spec 3 because of the slightly stiffer pedal and stronger engagment.
As far as power goes I am only looking to do the basic stuff, exhaust, intake, hardpipes, EBC, etc.

So stage II should be sufficiant I think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,311 Posts
I just got the spec stage III and i think it is one of the best things i have ever done to my car i would recommend stage III but thats just me cause then if you upgrade even more then you will be set already with the clutch.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top