Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys as far as i'm concerned, isn't mobil 1 synthetic oil the "best" oil out there? well, last time i was getting my oil changed my mechanic was like ha that stuff is so expensive but check this out and he pulls out this little bottle of engine oil that says "muscle" something which he claimed will increase my horsepower by a slight bit. i dont remember but he had a machine that showed me the smoothness of the oil. what he did was that he rubbed the synthetic oil on this thing (a simple motor) and long story short, the muscle engine oil was much better than the mobil 1 synthetic oil and i was just wondering if anyone knows what im talking about? after i had my oil changed, i was driving on the freeway and guess what? there was a difference! i accelerated faster, "smoother," etc. just want to hear your inputs on this guys.

-David

·
Always on pump gas...
701 Posts
Was it the same weight oil as the mobil 1?

I run mobil 1 because it's one of the better oils out there that is easily available. You can't run into a walmart at 2am and buy RedLine....

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
...long story short, the muscle engine oil was much better than the mobil 1 synthetic oil and i was just wondering if anyone knows what im talking about? after i had my oil changed, i was driving on the freeway and guess what? there was a difference! i accelerated faster, "smoother," etc. just want to hear your inputs on this guys.

-David
Oh yeah..... There's a term for that. It's called "placebo effect."

·
Under Construction
555 Posts
ok guys as far as i'm concerned, isn't mobil 1 synthetic oil the "best" oil out there? well, last time i was getting my oil changed my mechanic was like ha that stuff is so expensive but check this out and he pulls out this little bottle of engine oil that says "muscle" something which he claimed will increase my horsepower by a slight bit. i dont remember but he had a machine that showed me the smoothness of the oil. what he did was that he rubbed the synthetic oil on this thing (a simple motor) and long story short, the muscle engine oil was much better than the mobil 1 synthetic oil and i was just wondering if anyone knows what im talking about? after i had my oil changed, i was driving on the freeway and guess what? there was a difference! i accelerated faster, "smoother," etc. just want to hear your inputs on this guys.

-David

Not sure if Mobil is the best. It's a great product at a very good price. I use the Motul V-Power since it's supposed to be THE best. Every local race team swears by this stuff.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Mobil 1 isn't a pure synthetic. It's classified as group III. Still dino-oil based with synthetic additives...(except for their 5W50 IIRC)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mobil 1 is good, but its a Group III oil now (I think it was dropped from the Group IV classification due to forumla changes). Any high-performance Group IV oil is good as long as you can find it. Normally, I like to just use Amsoil. A friend of mine is a dealer, so I just buy from him.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I used to use nothing but Mobil1 in my 300zx, but with the Supra, I've switched to Royal Purple after hearing some good things.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
ive been thinking about making to switch to amsoil or royal purple but im worried that since they are not readily available I wont be able to get them someday and not be able to switch back (especially with RP)

·
Registered
530 Posts
ive been thinking about making to switch to amsoil or royal purple but im worried that since they are not readily available I wont be able to get them someday and not be able to switch back (especially with RP)
Seems to me Royal Purple is becoming more and more readily available. A year or so ago when I had my Z, I wouldn't see any "special" oils at the local Checker, Autozone, etc and the "best" they had was Mobil1. Nowadays, I see royal purple at the local Checkers, Napa, and even the local Nissan dealership (I still have a 240sx), whereas I used to have to find a local "performance shop" for specialy oils.

·
keep livin man, L I V I N
818 Posts
Amsoil here, always will. They invented synthetic oil for automotive market and they are still the best, imo. I run it in all my vehicles.

My father is a dealer and im thinking about becoming one as well and keep them stocked. For now I just get it through my father.

I had a article not to long ago and amsoil was ranked #1 and mobil 1 ranked #2.

Casey

·
Registered
704 Posts
i been using eneos 0w-50 and its damn great! i would recommend it to you guys. Dont let the 0w-50 trip u out or scare you. Trust me this stuff is goooooood.

·
Fast Enough, Never Is.
920 Posts
I use Royal Purple and never had a problem, car runs outstanding. It is about $6-7/ quart but I think its worth it. Mobil 1 would be my second choice.

·
Very Senior Member
10,061 Posts
I would rather use the lower cost good solution (Mobil 1) and just change it more often.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts