Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am about to make my first upgrade to my stock 94TT; new wheels. I have decided to go with 18" Blitz Technospeed Z1s - 18x9 front & 18x10 rear (Blitz silver).
I've search through the forum for days but I am still unclear about which combination of offset/tire to choose to get the tire to be flush with the fender. I know that the stock is +50mm front/back and that optimum is as close to stock offset , but then somebody posted that Z1s only come in +41 front offset & +45 rear offset for MKIV, while another member is claiming: "8x9 in the front and 18x9.5 in the rear. Both in +38 offset. They are supra fitment and fit great on a supra" etc...

Blitz comes in (from Blitz site):
18x9 5x114.3 OFFSET HI DISC: +22, +41 OFFSET LOW DISC: +38, +45
18x10 5x114.3 OFFSET HI DISC: +22 OFFSET LOW DISC: +45

So the big Q is: what is the correct offset for 18" Z1s and which tire would give the correct combo and make it flush???
Any input would VERY appreciated. I can't wait to order them but dont't want to get the wrong ones (non-returnable !!!).

Thanks,
Artur

P.S. Anybody out there with 18" flush Z1s and pics? Anybody selling used ones in TriState area?

·
[H][K][S] whore!
437 Posts
You aren't going to get flush with fender with the Z1's unless you run spacers. The +22 up front will be flush, but the rears will sink in. If you must stay with the Z1's, your best choice will be to run the 18x9 +41 and the 18x10 +45.

Bad pic of my SC w/ black face Z1's.
19x9 +41
19x10 +45

If you want to get flush w/ the fender, you'll have to do some fender mods and run offsets in the mid 20's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for you answer MrJohnTan (although a little disappointing...) !

It's kind of a pity to start cutting new rims and putting spacers. I've seen a few pic here on the forum (without offset specs) of 18" Z1s and they looked (judging from the picture) pretty flush; not a scientific estimate but still.

Anyway, how did you figure that +45 (with ANY tire) won't be flush? (sorry but I spent so much time deciding which rim to choose that I won't let go that easy...).
Also; won't tire size make a difference? What offset would I need for the rear with 18x10 to be flush? Let me check if stepping up to 19" would make a difference.

Thanks,
Artur

P.S. I like the setup on your SC with 19" and lowered suspension (my next upgrade once I find a trustworthy shop in NJ/PA).

·
[H][K][S] whore!
437 Posts
To get the tire flush w/ the fender, the +45 offset on a 10" wide wheel just sits too far inside the wheelwell of a supra. Getting a tire wider than a 285 on a 10" aesthetically doesn't look right. Your tires will look like balloons on your wheels, then again, thats just my opinion. Your only options would be to either go with a lower offset, or go with a wider wheel.

A +45 offset on a 10" wheel will sit the same whether you go w/ 18's or 19's.

The +45 offset doesn't look too bad on a Supra, its just too conservative for my tastes.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
And another opinion is that 295 on a 10 inch rim doesn't look like a baloon. But then again, when you are going for more than looks wide rubber is your friend.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I meant by going with 19' was that they have more offsets to choose from.

Anyway, as stated in my first post, Blitz makes 18s in:

18x9' OFFSET HI DISC: +22, +41 OFFSET LOW DISC: +38, +45
18x10 OFFSET HI DISC: +22 OFFSET LOW DISC: +45

Q1: why not get the +22 offset for the rear?
Q2: any idea what OFFSET HI DISC vs LOW DISC is ??

Thanks,
Artur

P.S. The White Supra is definitely more then flush...

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
The HI DISC/LOW DISC is the size of the pad on the back of the wheel that mates to the hub. The thicker that pad (higher disc) the more the wheel pushes away from the caliper/rotor assembly for more clearance. To clear Supra front brakes, you typically need "HI DISC" but there is no industry standard on how large HI DISC is, so it is wheel design dependent. For example, my Veilsides on front are "MID DISC" and they clear the stock brakes no problem. BTW, I have 9-1/2"F and 10-1/2"R both +45 offset and they are about as flush as I want (tires are 255/35F and 285/30R) ; anymore outward and they would be sticking out too far in my book. But I've noticed some pics where I think "they're sticking way out" and somebody elses says "those are nice and flush". So like many things, "flush" is partly in the eyes of the beholder.

Post #7 in this thread has pics of my wheels, not a great perspective but worth a look: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367314

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HI Nick 95 6sp,

Thanks for your reply. I remember seeing pics of your car -nice. That's about as flush as I want it to be; so I guess 8x10 +22 offset would be sticking out ?

Any more details on you suspension?

Thanks,
Artur

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Thanks, I'm very happy to have my Supra but it isn't anywhere near one of the cosmetically nicer ones around here. It runs damn good though for BPU :)

I would say 10" wide @ +22 would stick out a little too much for me.

The amount it would stick out compared to mine: 10" wheel is 1/2" (12.7mm) narrower and half of that is on each side of wheel centerline, so that puts the wheel lip at 6.35mm inward from where mine is. So if you could get a 45 - 6.35 = 38.65mm offset, it would put the wheel lip in the same location as mine. The 22mm would stick out an additional 16.65mm (0.65"). Maybe if you cut/roll the fenders and don't lower it too much, maybe it would fit.

I have Tein HA's all around, lowered about 1-1/4" or so all around. My tires and wheels have never hit or had a clearance problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Nick,

Thanks for a great reply. Looks like +38 would be a great choice; unfortunately this offset is only available for the front and not rear (only +22 & +45)... seems like I'm stuck here... Getting desperate...

Did you do the BPU/suspension upgrade yourself or can you (or anybody else on this forum) recommend a shop in PA/NJ for Supra upgrades/bodywork?; I don't have too much time on my hands - just enough to drive my Supra on the weekend :)

Thanks,
Artur

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Artur,
Did you look in the "official wheels/rims thread" http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286652 since I think there must be a few Supras with Blitz wheels, pictures, specs in there??? I'm under the impression that since Blitz has been seriously into the Supra they must offer a good fitment.

I did some BPU mods myself, stuff like downpipe is very simple, catback exhaust is very simple, I did the HKS hardpipe kit myself; other stuff including the boost controller, coilover replacements, Racelogic traction control, alignment, corner weighting ...I did with help from another Supra owning buddy in North Jersey but he is so busy now he isn't doing any Supra work anymore. I have no interest or time to do car work for others, I'd be happy just to have a few more minutes for my own car! A local buddy and I will be doing my single turbo kit and fuel system install pretty soon. I'll point him to your post here in case he might be interested in doing some work, he's a perfectionist but this is not something he does for a living.

Also, search back thru the posts in the Northeast section here ....there have been posts there mentioning a few shops in the area you can choose from.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've looked but I'm looking again.. most of them (if not all) did not list offset. Since I now have full access to the forum... I will try emailing them in hope for some answers.

Officially: thanks again for your help and enlightenment. I'll be looking around for a shop for future upgrades.

Artur

1 - 12 of 12 Posts